• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

L-carnitine great results for fatigue

hello everyone, i hope you all doing good
i read thread here someone said that L-carnitine helped them
so i started taking it yesterday, the first day i took 1 pill 500mg, after 30 minutes i felt nice and comfortable feeling inside my body, but i did not felt energy the first day but there was nice feeling and it made me sleepy and feel lazy to the next day,
i have high blood pressure and fast heart beat and very bad fatigue so you know,
the next day which is today i took 2 pills 500mg each, i was still feeling comfortable inside my body but still no energy but at night..
you know what? i started feeling energy at night and im actually lefting weight right now, it does work for me and i hope this will continue
you guys can try it, the brand i took is called valupak L-carnitine 30 pill made in england
so i just wanted to confirm that it works but i don't know if it will last forever or not.

Last edited:

Bansaw

@Bansaw let me understand please, you mean it stopped working for you? how long it lasted?
forgive me my english is not so great, thank you
it worked for a few months and gradually wore off. There are ways I think of resisting the body getting habituated I think. You will have to look that up.

Pyrrhus

I also experienced good energy from acetyl-L-carnitine. (ALCAR)

After 2-3 weeks, I noticed that my sleep was worse.

So, my experience is that ALCAR gave good energy, but bad sleep.

I hope this helps.

@Pyrrhus thanks for your feedback,
doctors says it should be taken in the morning so it won't make you can't sleep at night.
personally, i reached to he point where im about to die from fatigue so i won't mind any side effect from it as long as it can make me have strong energy.

pattismith

I also experienced good energy from acetyl-L-carnitine. (ALCAR)

After 2-3 weeks, I noticed that my sleep was worse.

So, my experience is that ALCAR gave good energy, but bad sleep.

I hope this helps.
I know it looks strange, but carnitine inhibits nuclear action of T3 and T4 hormons; It is dose dependant.

This may explain why the good effect fades after some time.

When I had low thyroid hormons (I had low T3 syndrome), carnitine was not helping me.
Now that my thyroid hormons are higher, I can take carnitine and feel some good effects.

https://www.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/thy.2000.10.1043

When I was hyperthyroid one year ago, I couldn't tolerate the classical treatment (betabloquant and antithyroid meds).
I stopped taking iodine supplement,
I took Low iodine diet + high Lipoic acid + high acetyl L carnitine + Ivabradine.
(I kept taking selenium of course)
In a few months my thyroid hormons were back to normal and all my auto-antibodies were back to normal in 9 or 10 months.

Pyrrhus

I know it looks strange, but carnitine inhibits nuclear action of T3 and T4 hormons; It is dose dependant.
When I had low thyroid hormons (I had low T3 syndrome), carnitine was not helping me.
Now that my thyroid hormons are higher, I can take carnitine and feel some good effects.

This is a good point, thanks for bringing it up.
As @pattismith mentions, high doses of carnitine/ALCAR can block a cell's use of thyroid hormones.

According to this paper, this can happen with carnitine/ALCAR doses as low as 2 grams:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15591013/

One time, I decided to slowly lower my ALCAR dose in order to find the minimal dose that still gave me energy.
I found that a single 16mg ALCAR dose gave me good energy for three days.
(However, the following days, I had very poor quality sleep.)

MartinK

Hi all,
I am also one of those for which carnitine stopped working after some time. I used some other supplements, but I attribute the main improvement to l-carnitine (tried two forms - A-L-C and L-C Tartrate).
Three months was amazing - only low and short PEMs and more energy, less inflammation.

Has any of you found out if recovery effects can be achieved? Get higher thyroid hormones @pattismith ?
Next month I will blood test it!

hi everybody hope all are fine, i just want to update my situation.
like some of people said L-carnitine will work for 2 weeks or month then stops.
i'm still sick and did not found cure so far.
im still going to doctors but they work very slow. and this covid-19 made things worse.
they did for me many tests for almost every part of my body.
they did me blood tests for some kind of Poisons but still the results did not show up because they hospital says that the thing that made the test with is not available at the hospital and they are waiting ofr it to come! waiting since 2 months
and they did me blood test that only german country can do, they will send my blood sample to germany, i haven't did this yet, i'm waiting to see my Poisons test, then decide to take this german test, and it cost much money and long time, you know it will go to another country and stuff...
i'm still sick and very tired
i took almost every vitamin supplement nothing worked, some of them work for week or 2 then stops
best things that worked are
magnesium
omega 3
L-carnitine
and since i have high blood pressure i also take
Aspirin and atorvastain plus the meds for blood pressure and for fast heart rate
thats all
this is my feedback,
hope you all are ok

kewia

like some of people said L-carnitine will work for 2 weeks or month then stops

Does it mean you observed the same behavior as others now [at the time of your post] or does it still work out of the box?