• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is your Hypothalamus up the creek?

Wishful

I just came across this paper ( https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fnins.2020.536682/full ) which is about the complexity of astrocyte metabolism, which in turn affects brain metabolism. There are all sorts of metabolic processes going on in those cells, affecting other brain cells, so even a minor dysfunction there could result in disruptions in other brain functions. The effects can be regional, which could explain why ME varies so much. This fits into this thread, since astrocytes control the hypothalamus too.

I definitely think it plays a role. I had hypothalamic amenorrhea and a variety of hormonal imbalances for several years before diagnosis. I don't think its the cause per se, but I think its an important part of why I was susceptible in the first place. I've also experienced treatment-resistant depression and childhood adversity, which have been proven to cause changes in volume in the hippocampus.