• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

INTRAVENOUS VITAMIN C / ASCORBIC ACID

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
Hi! in two weeks I'm starting an intravenous vitamin C treatment, consisting in four weekly infusions of vit C, each one with 10 grams or more. My blood tests show low vitamin C serum levels, sometimes as low as the minimum possible, 1mg/l, a value that according to my research is found among people with scurvy, despite I don't have such disease. I am taking 4000mg of oral vitamin c and yet sometimes my test came back again with 1mg/L. Along with ME/CFS, my body seems to be ridden with all sort of connective tissue injuries, such as 5 symptomatic disc herniations, frozen shoulder, damaged coxo-femoral articulation, etc all this happening from 20 to 34 years old without any major impact or accident that could have caused them. I think that the vitamin c therapy might improve both my injuries and the symptoms of ME/CFS. Anybody has any experience with vitamin C treatment, specially intravenous vitamin C? Thank you!

EddieB

I did vit C iv’s for about 4 months around this time last year. I have severe stomach issues and can’t eat well
so I felt certain that supplementing would help. We did a straight vit C on Tuesdays and a Myers on Friday’s.
My advice as follows...
1. Vit C can be hard on your veins. Start slow regardless of what they say, and alternate needle locations. Expect some bruising.
2. I did end up getting a couple of blood clots. Went to have them checked (ultrasound at the hospital), not serious but painful. Eventually went away.
3. I did have some diarrhea and unsettling feeling the first few times.
4. It can take 1-2 hours for the iv bag to drip in, so bring something to entertain.
5. Drink A LOT of water before and after.
I would also add, if after 2 weeks you don’t feel any benefits, maybe weight the risks/expense of continuing.
Your condition may be different since you’re measuring blood levels, I didn’t do that. But after 4 months I didn’t
notice any improvements. I hope it helps you!

Wally

@pamojja has a number of posts related to IV Vitamin C that you might want to take a look at. Are you familiar with using the search function to find members posts? I tagged pamoja, so perhaps she will respond here. (pamojo - I mentioned you as a “she”, sorry if my guess at gender is incorrect.).

Here is some information about high dose IV Vitamin C written by Dr. Robert Cathcart that you might like to read. https://omarchives.org/dr-robert-cathcart-md-preparing-vitamin-c-for-iv-use/