• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Incredible improvements with Helminthic Therapy

Jenny TipsforME

I'm not quite sure if I could get over the gross factor! :nervous:

I have a friend with ME who is constantly getting infections (I call her Snotball), but there is also a group who will just not get sick from anything. I suspect these will ultimately define two of the primary subgroups of the condition.

I'm not convinced these are major subgroups because I've gone through phases of both. I think it's a big clue though and should be taken into account in studies. Eg like the cytokines that were up under 3 years and down after 3 years, but put them in together and they average out. Researchers should be asking about frequency of infection.

Cheesus

Well I've just allowed 5 to borrow into my skin, now we wait.

Do you have anything on standby to kill them if shit goes south? That is my one concern, as I doubt my GP would give me the prescription anti parasitics that are most effective in advance, and I don't want to wait until I feel horrendous to have to explain to him that I purposefully infected myself with a parasite.

@Jenny TipsforME Yes, perhaps you are right! I definitely agree that those features should be larger in the minds of researchers.

sb4

Do you have anything on standby to kill them if shit goes south? That is my one concern, as I doubt my GP would give me the prescription anti parasitics that are most effective in advance, and I don't want to wait until I feel horrendous to have to explain to him that I purposefully infected myself with a parasite.

@Jenny TipsforME Yes, perhaps you are right! I definitely agree that those features should be larger in the minds of researchers.
I do not, I would have to hope the gp is competent. I figure 5 is fairly small and worth the risk however with my luck it'll fuck my shit up.

Cheesus

I do not, I would have to hope the gp is competent. I figure 5 is fairly small and worth the risk however with my luck it'll fuck my shit up.

It's not that I distrust my GP's competence - I would get the anti-parasitic I need. Mostly I am dreading my medical records showing that I deliberately infected myself with a parasite. I already struggle for them to take me seriously.

Hip

There is a list of anti-helminthic drugs here. You should be able to obtain some of these at the at the reliable online prescription-free pharmacies listed in this post.

The CDC says that albendazole or mebendazole can get rid of hookworms in just 1 to 3 days.

According to this study, albendazole is the better of these two drugs for Necator americanus hookworms.

sb4

It's not that I distrust my GP's competence - I would get the anti-parasitic I need. Mostly I am dreading my medical records showing that I deliberately infected myself with a parasite. I already struggle for them to take me seriously.
I totally get this, however the amount our GPs can help us is minimal. So may as well go full retard, I already have 30days deliberate starvation on mine so there's not much further to drop.

Cheesus

@Hip Thanks for that. I had been looking for Albenza on online pharmacies, but I simply cannot find any that sell any from known pharmaceutical companies. They're all generic brands and I really don't trust them.

@sb4 Haha. I am scraping the bottom of the barrel already, but deliberately infecting myself with parasites is a whole new level, and I am pretty sure I would eradicate any vestiges of hope that I might ever be listened to again by my GP.

Hutan

New hookworm research study looking for volunteers here in NZ. For coeliacs this time, but our turn will come!
Coeliacs who wish to take part in this trial need to live in the Christchurch area.

I heard about this on the radio - Professor Richard Geary? - last week. I'm in the Christchurch area.

I had been thinking about contacting the researchers to talk about an ME trial. @Gyre, have you spoken to any of those researchers about ME?

sb4

Well it's 2 weeks since I infected myself. After a couple days I had a bit of a cough which is just about disappearing. Today however I have started to feel sick. I'm one of those who doesn't get sick often. It could be just random but I hope it's the worms working.

Any one else experience this?

Well it's 2 weeks since I infected myself. After a couple days I had a bit of a cough which is just about disappearing. Today however I have started to feel sick. I'm one of those who doesn't get sick often. It could be just random but I hope it's the worms working.

It isn't unusual to feel a bit off-colour around that time. You can see the hookworm timeline here.

M

Jesse2233

helminthic therapy is known to reduce the Th1 (antiviral and intracellular infections) mode of the immune response, and increase the Th2 (antibacterial) mode

This is my concern as well. Assuming that either the smoldering virus model or the hit and run Th1 to Th2 shift model is correct, then this treatment would be further shifting the immune system in the wrong direction for a certain subset

Cheesus

How are things progressing? Have you had any events like the chestburster scene in Alien yet?

sb4

How are things progressing? Have you had any events like the chestburster scene in Alien yet?
Yeah I have, it scurried off into the neighbours garden so it's their problem now.

The ill feeling only lasted 3/4 days and I didn't feel noticeabley different however overall in the time since taking them I have had a small but significant improvement. This could be a number of things (TUDCA, better light management, better drug managment, CTing my balls) however I think there is a decent chance it's down to the worms, only time will tell.

Come to think of it I did hear a lot of banging and screaming next door...

sb4

Had lots of gut gurgling for a few days which is unusual but nothing else to report. Improvement since feb has been sustained however im still hesitant to put it down to the worms, the timeline suggest my experience isn't normal. Im at roughly 8week so I should experience a further boost in the next month or so.
I will probably increase the amount sometime in may.