• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

2Cor.12:19

Hey Ladies,

For those questioning the safety of continuing HRT beyond age 60, a GINORMOUS new study came out recently. The Medicare health records of over 10 MILLION women over age 65 were followed between 2007-2020 with some pretty dang encouraging statistics in favor of continuing HRT, depending on what type and method. Here’s a couple of links about that.

1. A brief synopsis
Women Aged Older Than 65 Years May Be Able to Safely Continue Taking Hormone Therapy
2. The whole report
Use of menopausal hormone therapy beyond age 65 years and its effects on women's health outcomes by types, routes, and doses

I know HRT affects everyone differently and a lot of us with ME/CFS can’t take it due to side effects.

Personally, it was/ and hopefully will continue to be a godsend for me. I’m waiting for my new prescription after discontinuing 2 years ago.

I’m 72 and have had moderate-severe ME for 38 years. Had a hysterectomy at age 39. Started HRT at 54, Vivelle Dot patch (Estradiol-bio identical hormone). Was on it 17 years. It got rid of hot flashes, lifted my mood and sense of well being, helped insomnia. and a little bit with energy. Plus I still have good bone density for my age.

I went off two years ago at age 70 due to safety concerns at that time. But my overall health, and ME/CFS has declined dramatically ever since to where I’m mostly housebound again.

Between ME, co-morbid conditions, other medication changes, and natural aging, etc, , it’s hard discerning what’s causing a downturn. I keep a medical journal and have access to all my lab and dr visits. I carefully combed through my records and highly suspect that going off my Estradiol patch may be , at least in part, a culprit for increased fatigue, depression, horrible insomnia, and definitely the hot flashes that keep me up at night.

Plus, since going off my HRT I’ve fallen 4 times due to neuropathy and balance. A recent fall landed me in the ER with head and feet injuries. A Google search turned up a lot of info on the relationship between falling estrogen levels and neuropathy. I'll add a link about that here:

How Low Estrogen Levels Can Intensify Neuropathy-Based Disorders in Post-Menopausal Women

The study I found on taking HRT after 65 was most encouraging so I decided to go back on it. I’ll report back after I’ve been on it for a while to let you know if it helps.

Any thoughts on your experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@2Cor.12:19 - that's quite interesting. One thing which is not mentioned in the Menopause Society new study is that the original 2002 study (Women's Health Initiative) used HORSE HORMONES for estrogen (yes, they gave women pregnant horse hormones when bio-identical estrogen was readily available)) and SYNTHETIC PROGESTERONE. This is huge. I'm really disappointed this was not mentioned. I've read a few places that the negative outcomes seen in that Women's Health Initiative were in large part due to the synthetic progesterone they used and the equine (horse) hormones. Why didn't they use bio-identical hormones??? The answer is simple I believe - you can't patent natural progesterone or estrogen for that matter, so they had to give women horse (equine) hormones and synthetic progesterone, which, unsurprisingly, led to negative outcomes. BUT - the important thing is that they could patent (make money off of) synthetic progesterone and horse hormones.

So it's nice to see this study which I imagine used synthetic hormones as well - But they refer to progestin or progestogen - but not bio-identical PROGESTERONE - which is easy to get. And who knows what they used for estrogen. Probably more pregnant horses

I'm glad you posted this, but very disappointed in the Menopause Society, which says it is leading the conversation, but it is nowhere in the lead.

@2Cor.12:19 - that's quite interesting. One thing which is not mentioned in the Menopause Society new study is that the original 2002 study (Women's Health Initiative) used HORSE HORMONES for estrogen (yes, they gave women pregnant horse hormones when bio-identical estrogen was readily available)) and SYNTHETIC PROGESTERONE. This is huge. I'm really disappointed this was not mentioned. I've read a few places that the negative outcomes seen in that Women's Health Initiative were in large part due to the synthetic progesterone they used and the equine (horse) hormones. Why didn't they use bio-identical hormones??? The answer is simple I believe - you can't patent natural progesterone or estrogen for that matter, so they had to give women horse (equine) hormones and synthetic progesterone, which, unsurprisingly, led to negative outcomes. BUT - the important thing is that they could patent (make money off of) synthetic progesterone and horse hormones.

So it's nice to see this study which I imagine used synthetic hormones as well - But they refer to progestin or progestogen - but not bio-identical PROGESTERONE - which is easy to get. And who knows what they used for estrogen. Probably more pregnant horses

I'm glad you posted this, but very disappointed in the Menopause Society, which says it is leading the conversation, but it is nowhere in the lead.
Hi @Mary - The link I have was just a brief synopsis by the Menopause Society (they have a more detailed statement) ,

I’ve added the whole report from the original source. Sorry, I should’ve put that up too. They used all the data from Medicare part B and D which shows all the different types of HRT used - I think around 40 different types. It goes into detail regarding the WHI study as well. Its very detailed and I can’t imagine how there could ever be a more extensive study as this. Pretty cool. But lengthy.

Here it is: https://journals.lww.com/menopausej...nopausal_hormone_therapy_beyond_age_65.3.aspx

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@2Cor.12:19 - thanks so much for posting this! Sorry I went off on a bit of a rant up above. It's all true but I overlooked the significance of the new study. My new doctor was reluctant to prescribe bio-identical hormones - I think most doctors are - due to the flawed 2002 study but he finally agreed to do it. I'm going to provide him with the link you provided - and I'm going to check it out as well :nerd:

@2Cor.12:19 - thanks so much for posting this! Sorry I went off on a bit of a rant up above. It's all true but I overlooked the significance of the new study. My new doctor was reluctant to prescribe bio-identical hormones - I think most doctors are - due to the flawed 2002 study but he finally agreed to do it. I'm going to provide him with the link you provided - and I'm going to check it out as well :nerd:
Ha! No worries! 🤣. I’m so glad your doc agreed! I went off mine 2 years ago because my doctor gently advised against it based on the old info. It has really set me back with my ME. I shared the new report with my new PCP and she reordered my estradiol patch. Should be getting it this week. 😀.

With ME it’s so hard to know what symptoms are being caused by what! When I went off my HRT 2years ago, I had also just weaned off 20+ years of Xanax. Plus I was hyperthyroid from being overmedicated on my thyroid meds for years. I was a mess. All that with ME. Never thought ditching my HRT was compounding the problem. So it’ll be interesting now to see how much the HRT will improve my symptoms.

Best Wishes to you! Please keep me posted how it goes. ❤️

L'engle

moogle
I am much younger than that (44) but trialed a progesterone only pill (synthetic) for a month just now. It made me feel gradually worse across several symptoms. Took me a while to figure it out as I was fighting off the summer virus that's going around as well. I was hoping for fewer and lighter periods but no luck.

Interesting to note the difference between bio identical hormones and synthetic.

I realize this is only somewhat on topic but wanted to contribute to a newer thread instead of digging up and adding to a past thread.

Good luck to those continuing to try HRT in later life, hope it will help!

LaurelW

I completely agree with Mary in that all the previous studies did not use natural hormones, and the side effects were due to that. I've been on bioidentical hormones for a number of years. Went off them for two years and my bone density tanked. Then I talked to a pharmacy professor and she said I would get as much benefit from my hormones as I would taking Fosamax, Boniva, etc. which I don't tolerate due to severe heartburn. Plus, jaw necrosis? Really?
After going back on (I'm on a pretty low dose of multiple hormones made at a compounding pharmacy) my bone density is better again. And BTW I have zero side effects from them.

I completely agree with Mary in that all the previous studies did not use natural hormones, and the side effects were due to that. I've been on bioidentical hormones for a number of years. Went off them for two years and my bone density tanked. Then I talked to a pharmacy professor and she said I would get as much benefit from my hormones as I would taking Fosamax, Boniva, etc. which I don't tolerate due to severe heartburn. Plus, jaw necrosis? Really?
After going back on (I'm on a pretty low dose of multiple hormones made at a compounding pharmacy) my bone density is better again. And BTW I have zero side effects from them.
@LaurelW - that’s interesting how your bone density improved. I didn’t know that was possible once it was lost. I was off my estradiol patch (.075) over 2 years and I don’t if it affected my bone density or not. Maybe my next dexa scan will tell. I’ve only been back on it 3 1/2 weeks and my hot flashes are gone and my mood has improved significantly. Only minor improvement on fatigue but I’ll take anything. Lol. I’ll never go off again if I can help it.

Back