• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has Quercetin helped your sensitivity to allergies?

I'm trying to find something (more/new) that will help reduce my sensitivities, particularly to foods, but also to fumes and chemicals in general in my MCS. I've read a lot about Quercetin in the last week, including both PubMed articles and anecdotal evidence that it helps both the histamine and T-cell/cytokine involvement in allergic reactions. Anybody here found particularly good responses? :)

linusbert

high dose vitamin D , and maybe vitamin C (try sodium ascorbate) and zink should help.
the whole axis for immune system is involved by vitamin D, vitamin A, selen, zink, vitamin C, b6 and copper. so all of those are needed and in the right amounts and relations.

but vitamin D definitely is needed, it also calms down the mast cells.

2 years ago i could take vitamin D and my asthma improved just the next day tremendously. even inflamations on feet reduced much in redness. so it worked like a miracle.
sadly it stopped working :(

same problem, also would like to get better here.
i cannot use quercetin because its usually a plant extract and any plant extract makes my allergies/asthma worse.
i would need a synthetic version. @Jyoti is yours synthetic?

@Katy131
another angle you might try is to improve detoxification. some anecdotal stories and theories tell that the body is burdened with too much toxins and with this increased potential for sensitivities. so the goal is too remove the toxins to have more capacity to handle the others. (toxin is relative, anything too much becomes toxic at some point)
look into liver detoxification. milk thistle and tudca are good for this. others might recommend more. i know not much about detox.
b vitamins especially b6 is involved in detoxification.

what many overlook, the body does not only produce antibodies to fight certain elements, but it also produces a specific antibody which marks things as safe - so to speak to be left alone by immune system.
so my theory, if the body exhausts capacity to mark things as safe, they become a trigger.
improving the capacity to have more of those antibodies will probably improve sensitivities.
raw milk has these antibodies. there are even supplements based on milk. i just forgot their name.
maybe colostrum might help as well?

Last edited:
It has made a significant difference for me. Especially once I switched to this particular brand/formulation. I started taking it about 18 months ago and I would consider it amongst my permanent and truly useful supplements.
That's great news! I'm so glad you find it so good. Did you find any side effects from taking it at the beginning? Did you start slowly to avoid sensitivities?

high dose vitamin D , and maybe vitamin C (try sodium ascorbate) and zink should help.
the whole axis for immune system is involved by vitamin D, vitamin A, selen, zink, vitamin C, b6 and copper. so all of those are needed and in the right amounts and relations.

but vitamin D definitely is needed, it also calms down the mast cells.

2 years ago i could take vitamin D and my asthma improved just the next day tremendously. even inflamations on feet reduced much in redness. so it worked like a miracle.
sadly it stopped working :(

same problem, also would like to get better here.
i cannot use quercetin because its usually a plant extract and any plant extract makes my allergies/asthma worse.
i would need a synthetic version. @Jyoti is yours synthetic?

@Katy131
another angle you might try is to improve detoxification. some anecdotal stories and theories tell that the body is burdened with too much toxins and with this increased potential for sensitivities. so the goal is too remove the toxins to have more capacity to handle the others. (toxin is relative, anything too much becomes toxic at some point)
look into liver detoxification. milk thistle and tudca are good for this. others might recommend more. i know not much about detox.
b vitamins especially b6 is involved in detoxification.

what many overlook, the body does not only produce antibodies to fight certain elements, but it also produces a specific antibody which marks things as safe - so to speak to be left alone by immune system.
so my theory, if the body exhausts capacity to mark things as safe, they become a trigger.
improving the capacity to have more of those antibodies will probably improve sensitivities.
raw milk has these antibodies. there are even supplements based on milk. i just forgot their name.
maybe colostrum might help as well?
Thanks so much for your thoughts. 😊 I'm taking the full range of optimal doses of vitamins and minerals including trace minerals and have been since first diagnosed in 2008. I'm onto detoxification too - amongst other things I take Milk Thistle and Toxaprevent Cliniptolite every day which if you're not familiar is a binder that binds to toxins, heavy metals and histamine in the gut. I think this has really helped. Taking the full range of B vitamins too and starting to work through the methylation protocol which you may have seen my posts about 🙂 Unfortunately I have multiple food allergies and dairy is one of them but I keep up with fermented foods and other good things for the gut biome. All this established is why I'm looking at Quercetin as an addition.

Jyoti

Did you find any side effects from taking it at the beginning? Did you start slowly to avoid sensitivities?
Normally I would start low and go slow, but in this case, I just jumped on 4 of these caps a day--200 mg of supposedly absorbable quecetin. I never had a flutter, but immediately noticed systemic improvement.

I should note that I am someone who has no obvious sensitivities, never an allergic reaction to anything. And yet, it is clear that I have MCAS, not only through testing but in terms of my systemic response to OTC histamine blockers and to this particular form of quercetin. More energy, less brain fog, better sleep, etc. Just mentioning that because we may not have the same 'sub-type' and my experience may not be relatable to yours. I hope it is--because I love this supplement--but of course you will be cautious.
@Jyoti is yours synthetic?
I tried and failed to figure that out. It is 'enzymatically modified isoquercitin' produced from rutin using enzymatic hydrolysis followed by treatment with glycosyltransferase in the presence of dextrin to add glucose residues.
So...I don't where the rutin comes from--probably a plant source--but it is certainly not in its original form.

datadragon

diamine oxidase (DAO) enzyme in the gut breaks down the food histamine while the histamine methyltransferase (HMNT) enzyme works throughout the body to deactivate and break down histamine created by your body. Taking DAO supplements or Ancestral Supplements Kidney will only affect the amount of histamine in the food and beverage you consume after taking the supplement and this helps in decreasing the total level of histamine within the body (endogenous plus exogenous histamine) by removing the added exogenous food/drink source. http://www.thedailyheadache.com/2014/05/testing-if-your-dao-level-is-low.html When histamine levels inside the body become excessive, DAO, and another enzyme called histamine N-methyl transferase (HNMT) break down the excess and mutations there can cause problems.

It is very important to understand that supplemental DAO and a histamine-restricted diet will not reduce the amount of histamine produced within the body only lowering the external sources. Some supplements I've taken that I researched and found worked on mast cells to reduce those body levels when lowering food sources and diet arent enough are palmitoylethanolamide (PEA), carvacrol (oregano), quercetin, pycnogenol (or the cheaper vitacost pine bark extract), zinc, vitamin d, source naturals SOD power as well as EGCG (green tea) I believe all work on areas of histamine and maybe stinging nettle root extract. Should be noted that taking too much can over inhibit these areas.

DAO appears to require many nutrients, so I can see this problem being common even without genetic issues. Copper, whole food vitamin C, magnesium and active vitamin B6 (p5p), b12, iron, zinc all appear to be involved. Usable copper requires ceruloplasmin which if tests low may indicate problems with vitamin A, zinc, magnesium, boron. B6 needs zinc, magnesium, b2 normally to convert to the active form P5P, https://suzycohen.com/articles/histamine_intolerance_dao_genes_hashimotos/ Again just brief from some notes. Supplementation however with high concentrations of the pyridoxine form of Vitamin B6 competitively inhibits the active Pyridoxal 5' phosphate (P5P) form which actually leads to decreased vitamin B6 function rather than enhancing it. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0887233317301959?via=ihub

Allergists can give some information. An increase in the serum level of tryptase (a blood test), above baseline and within a narrow (generally accepted as one to two hour) window of time after a symptomatic episode, is proposed as the preferred method for providing evidence of mast cell involvement. https://tmsforacure.org/tests/ And histamine blood tests can show if it was high at that moment of the test which might at least indicate if high or low histamine is involved in any problem you are experiencing.

For other info perhaps check out what foods are not as good for your specific blood type as it differs, not necessarily to follow a strict diet but just to understand what may be the contributors https://www.amazon.com/Right-Your-Type-Revised-Updated/dp/0399584161/

Last edited:

Violeta

Ooh I haven't heard of CBD for food allergies! How has it helped and how much do you take? 🙂
I didn't know about CBD being good for food allergies when I started taking it. I take about 7 drops in the morning and 15 drops at night before bed. Not long after I started taking it I noticed a reduction in gut discomfort. I have since been able to eat quite a few things without discomfort. There are some things I still can't eat, for example eggs and chicken still make post herpetic neuralgia worse and can even cause reactivation of shingles.

I have been trying to be consistent with also taking some CBD during the day, trying to get up to 4 doses a day.

Look at this:
"
What do CB2 receptors in the gastrointestinal tract highlight their role in?

"This review of our current knowledge of CB2 receptors in the gastrointestinal tract highlights its role in regulating abnormal motility, modulating intestinal inflammation and limiting visceral sensitivity and pain."

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
Quercetin used to bother me - can't remember why..I was going to try it for my blood pressure but my doctor told me not to because it slows excretion of something...some adrenal hormone maybe? Can't remember. Zinc and protein help with my allergies.. spiraling helps. Nettle helps )but only for 2 hours...gave to carry those lozenges with you)

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
It bothered me, don't remember why, when I tried it years ago. However I read that it lowers cortisol, which sounds very useful. Lowering cortisol might help orthostatic hypotension.. I considered trying it now for high blood pressure but my heart doctor thinks it's not a good idea for me - I forget why. It is reputed to help allergies, but never helped mine.

I read a large study which said those who eat the most flavanols, such as quercetin, have a 68pct less chance of cardiovascular events such as heart attack or stroke. Really sounds worthwhile.