• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Glutathione or no glutathione?

Have you found glutathione to be an effective cofactor in methylation?

• Ineffective

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Haven’t noticed a difference

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi all

I’ve had ME/CFS since July (undiagnosed).

I started methylating a couple of weeks ago and I think it’s been helping. But something I’m not clear on is whether to add glutathione to the MTHF + MCbl.

I’ve seen that Rich didn’t include it in the protocol, at least not in the simplified version, Freddd warned against using it as it would cause a trap, and Dr Myhill lists 250mg of glutathione:
https://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/CFS_-_The_Methylation_Cycle

I noticed in the past that I seemed to respond positively to NAC on its own before I learned about the methylation cycle.

I’m just wondering if anyone has had any benefits or setbacks from including it in their meth cycle regime.

And if there are any others cofactors they’ve come across other than multivit, lots of vit C, P5P (just ordered this) that have supported the cycle in their experience.

thanks

BrightCandle

Dr Myhill has been struck off for 9 months due to suggesting dangerous levels of supplements. You should be aware of that before doing something Dr Myhill has suggested.

Belbyr

I did glutathione by IV daily for almost a year when I thought I had 'chronic lyme' many years ago. The glutathione didn't do anything. It's worth a try but if it really worked, I think tons of patients would be demanding it.

BrightCandle

What supplements?

This gives a run down of some of the concerns - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-mid-wales-11550075

Arguably some of this is nonsense given those same doctors would likely happily be recommending GET and CBT but levels of Vitamin C to the point of vomiting is definitely a concern as is plenty of the other beliefs Myhill has around Covid. Its enough of a concern to consider the treatments recommended and find other sources to determine if they are safe.

I did glutathione by IV daily for almost a year when I thought I had 'chronic lyme' many years ago. The glutathione didn't do anything. It's worth a try but if it really worked, I think tons of patients would be demanding it.

That's interesting. I know that Rich's theory was that glutathione deficiency is a hallmark of ME/CFS. Not a cause maybe, but something you would want elevated. Whether that's by supplementing or just righting your metabolic system is another matter. I feel like I might have put too much value in methylating. It seems like it's an important process to kickstart but not the panacea it's often built up to be.

I'm in the UK and my doctor has referred me to a mental health hospital. I'm on a waiting list so no sign of when I'll be seen to and frankly I don't think she remotely understands this condition. I need to find someone who will listen to me, read my symptoms and treat me accordingly to give my body a chance to recover. I'd had some progress with my sleeping but woke up at 3am and am now wide awake. Think the adrenal side of the condition is playing up again.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I've been on antivirals for well over 10yrs plus other meds here and there. I've taken nac the whole time to protect the liver from any potential toxic effects from medications. My blood work showing liver values has always been good.
I've also had friends who have had elevated liver enzymes for long periods of time or fatty liver and told them about nac. They've all had rapid improvements in liver function.
So not necessarily a treatment for mecfs but definitely a good treatment for liver conditions.
I don't think there's really any supplement that helps mecfs but if you end up with certain abnormalities than some supplements may help eg nerve pain things like vit b1 and lipoic acid have helped people. It's really individual.

I've been on antivirals for well over 10yrs plus other meds here and there. I've taken nac the whole time to protect the liver from any potential toxic effects from medications. My blood work showing liver values has always been good.
I've also had friends who have had elevated liver enzymes for long periods of time or fatty liver and told them about nac. They've all had rapid improvements in liver function.
So not necessarily a treatment for mecfs but definitely a good treatment for liver conditions.
I don't think there's really any supplement that helps mecfs but if you end up with certain abnormalities than some supplements may help eg nerve pain things like vit b1 and lipoic acid have helped people. It's really individual.

Yes seems like everyone's needs are totally unique even if there are some basics you can attend to. Thanks for the info. I actually bought bags of NAC in a supplement buying spree when I finally twigged what my symptoms were and dived down the ME/CFS rabbit hole. I think it helped relieve some symptoms like aching, possibly by clearing up oxidative waste. But then I learned about the methylation protocol and stopped with it as wanted to give mething a chance. Are you currently methylating or have you in the past and have you seen any results?

Also have you had any benefits from the antivirals? I'm guessing so if you're still taking them. I think I had benefits from liquorice root and other natural antivirals, but seemingly only for a few days. I know this is common. Not sure what to make of it. I was thinking maybe I had an underlying infection. More recently I've erred towards maybe my immune system is just in Th2 mode instead of Th1 and needs reseting. Doctors just do blood tests and say there is no infection. I'm guessing that is inconclusive because could be intracellular endogenous virus.