• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

$$$ for WPI vote daily now in Vivint Round 2!

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Helen - absolutely brilliant of you to find this, I hope Vivant respond as they should and ban them.

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Great find Helen, wow, I wonder how Vivint will address this, would they have any idea from the site how many votes they receive this way?

frenchtulip

Helen, fantastic find! I was trying to post a little earlier and got sidetracked with a phone call. Here is what I discovered:

I have just been timing Conejo's votes minute by minute. They are generally gaining at the rate of 1 to 2 votes per minute from 9:54 AM to 10:20 AM (with 3 exceptions in which they gained 3 or 4 votes from minute to minute). I tried to do the reading just as my computer clock turned over to the next minute, but my computer started balking a bit and several seconds elapsed before I got the new number a few times. There does seem to be a pretty consistent pattern of 1 to 2 votes per minute, which does seem to me to be a little suspicious. There may be a voting device of some type being used. I figure in the case of the 3 to 4 votes per minute the extra votes may have been "real" votes.

I am sorry to be so distrustful, but I encountered very obvious cheating in a small online contest. My sister and I were timing in different states and found that when the person in No. 1 position saw that No. 2 and/or No. 3 positions had gained a few votes, he apparently turned on a device that fed in a vote for himself every 30 seconds. He would let the device run for a period of time--sometimes hours--and then his votes stopped. The sponsors surely knew it was going on, but didn't take any action against him and he won the biggest prize. And the essay he had entered was a poorly written paragraph with all sorts of mistakes. It was pretty apparent no one else was voting for his entry when there were really good entries.

The above experience has made me wary of rapid increases in votes, esp. when the votes come in at regular intervals. There must be all kinds of voting devices for those who want to cheat. Some devices may hide the individual computer number, or auditors may not check votes thoroughly to find irregularities.

Because of the regularity of votes for Conejo--1 to 2 per minute--during a surge time, I can't rule out some voting device.

But Helen has found something concrete that is not permitted. I suppose it is possible that Conejo doesn't know that getting votes in that manner is not allowed. But thank goodness Helen found the site right now, and Vivint can give Conejo a warning. The WPI still has a huge lead.

helen41

I posted on their wall with the link, then emailed this to the contact "I have been closely watching one charity in the Pacific region, because they seem to have sudden spikes in their votes, and quite frankly, I have been suspicious that someone was probably purchasing them at a site like microworkers, but had no way of proving it Conejo Valley has averaged 128 votes a day during the month of July. They got almost double that in the last 3 hours, and yesterday their vote count jumped about 1000. I started looking, and found this link http://sbofferzone.blogspot.com/2011/07/vote-for-friendship-circle-of-conejo.html in which people vote, earn points, then exchange those points for merchandise.I don't think this is the main one, but it is all I could find.

I believe it is probably a couple of people who are trying to help as opposed to the actual charity doing it, but hopefully you can put a stop to it
Thankyou"

I tried to make it from an individual as opposed to our group, and also wanted to plant the seed that this is probably not where they are getting most of the votes. I wish I could have got a screenshot from a site where the money exchange was more direct, but even if they aren't disqualified, I suspect they will go back to their daily average of 128 votes LOL
This might have been a great thing, maybe we are more secure in Pacific than we thought

Aileen

Way to go Helen!!

I really do think that Vivint should state all the rules clearly on the site. Anything I have read just makes vague references to illegal activities but doesn't really spell anything out. I hope they get their act together for next year.

helen41

I just got this back
"Hello Helen-
Thank you for this information. I will get in contact with Friendship Circle today to let them know that this is going on. Their supporters are quite zealous in their efforts, so I think you are probably correct in thinking it is a supporter as opposed to the charity.
Please let me know if you have any additional concerns.
Thanks so much!
Holly"

SpecialK82

Ohio, USA
Don't have time to figure out all the daily counts right now, but thought it important to post that Conejo received about 2000 votes today! Here's the file:

Attachments

• vivint 07-12-11 692 hrs.pdf
    84.2 KB · Views: 32

frenchtulip

Don't have time to figure out all the daily counts right now, but thought it important to post that Conejo received about 2000 votes today! Here's the file:

WOW! Well, Vivint is surely watching closely after what was spotted today. Hopefully, they will issue a warning soon, if not a dq.

Francelle

Good spotting Helen and quite a good response back from Vivint. Let's hope we see a resumption of Conejo's usual (July) voting numbers!!

I'm afraid it has made me abandon Canada for the moment as this is/was scary. At that rate WPI would not have a chance.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
Frenchtulip - really interested in your post about a voting device, just wondering if Vivant would be aware of that possibility too in addition to what helen has found out?

eric_s

Hey Special K

Do you have a spreadsheet for the vote count? Somebody made one 2 weeks or so ago, but i forgot who. I think that would make the daily counts much easier, you would just have to copy and paste the new numbers in there and the spreadsheet would calculate the new votes for the last 24h. You could even program it to send a complaint to Vivint every time Conejo goes over 300... :rolleyes:

jace

Off the fence
Eric_s, yes please! Can you set one up? It sounds like you may have the skills - I know I don't. It was specialK that did it, here's the file again for ease.

Attachments

• Vivint Pacific Region 070411.pdf
    85.2 KB · Views: 19
Back