• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Folic Acid, FIGLU, and Thiamine

Hi guys,

So I have been doing so much better these last two weeks after integrating benfotiamine in place of thiamine HCL. I had been taking 100 - 150mg of Thiamine HCL for over a year and my recent Nutreval test showed high thiamine deficiency, high biotin deficiency, and high folate deficiency (through very elevated FIGLU, which I believe means folinic acid deficiency, not methylfolate). I also did a comprehensive blood panel through Wellnessfx which showed very high Folic Acid levels (16.1 ng/mL). I am homozygous 677t MTHFR mutation and homozygous SLCA1 mutation (folate carrier) and had been taking methylfolate at the time (1000mcg/day). I have been riding the rollercoaster of experimenting with folate with its countless side effects. I have noticed as of late that if I take the benfotiamine in the morning and then wait to take all the other Bs at lunch (methylfolate + folinic acid product, b6 as p5p, active riboflavin, and then adeno hydro b-12), I do not get the brain fog. I have studied the other thread about thiamine and methylation, but could this be a fix? Dr. Lonsdale who spent his career on thiamine brought up a connection about unbalanced thiamine levels and high folic acid in the blood. Not very much info on b1 as a cofactor for folate.

https://epidemicanswers.org/the-folic-acid-paradox-and-the-importance-of-vitamin-balancing/

"The chemist explained that vitamin B-1 is a co-factor in utilizing folate. Perhaps, if B1 were deficient, the underutilized folic acid would back up in the blood. Dr. Lonsdale confirmed the theory by prescribing a large dose of B1, along with a B-complex.Not only were the youngster’s folic acid levels normal upon retesting, but also his lymphatic condition significantly improved."

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Any help on this :(? I get this terrible brain fog every day the Bs are involved. My theory on Thiamine before Folate does not work.

My latest theory, is perhaps I am not taking enough Folate to balance the high levels of Bs? If I take Niacin or Thiamine on there own, I get the brain fog/spacey feeling/can't read or accomplish anything. If I take a folateless b complex like Seeking Health B Minus, I get the brain fog. If I take folinic or methylfolate the fog lifts for 15 minutes and then comes back. My theory is maybe I can tolerate high dose B vitamins in a complex to correct my biotin and thiamine deficiency, but only if I'm taking crazy high amounts of folate like 5mg/day or more?

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
I am tired now, forgive that I havn´t read through your posts.

I take B5, B7, B2 and B1 with good effects (supporting the TCA cycle)

I must not take B6 and B9. Really not take (probabaly b/c they would serve amino acid metabolism?)

B3 announced itself as bad as well, don´t want to try it again rn.
(why? maybe b/c tryptophan had potentially not only good effects, and these ones only in combniation?)

For some time I took a combo of all B´s, wasn´t good nor bad.

In addition I change the placement of metals, but taking them in (in chocolate) only under good circumstances.
I will give a link in my signature. Who knows, maybe it could help.

I think these strange feelings in at least my brain mirror
actions of nerves also as they are bad (or too good) supported by vit´s and metals.

I need to look at vitamin carriers, it will be interesting. Thanks for hinting.

Last edited: