• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Epstein–Barr virus-acquired immunodeficiency in myalgic encephalomyelitis—Is it present in long COVID?

Violeta

Spleen tyrosine kinase (Syk) plays a significant role in the immune response of neutrophils to Candida species, which are a type of fungus. Neutrophils are a type of white blood cell that are key players in the body's defense against infections, including fungal infections like those caused by Candida.
When you ask if the interaction between Syk and neutrophils in response to Candida species is a "negative reaction," it's important to clarify what is meant by "negative." In the context of immunology and cellular responses:
  1. Negative as in harmful or detrimental: The activation of Syk in neutrophils in response to Candida is typically a positive and necessary aspect of the immune response. It helps the neutrophils to effectively respond to and combat the fungal infection. Therefore, in this sense, it is not a "negative" reaction but a beneficial one.
  2. Negative as in inhibitory: If you're asking whether the role of Syk is to inhibit or downregulate the neutrophil response, the answer is generally no. Syk is usually involved in activating and regulating the positive responses of neutrophils, such as phagocytosis (the process of engulfing and destroying pathogens) and the production of reactive oxygen species to kill pathogens.
Therefore, Syk's role in regulating neutrophil responses to Candida species is typically viewed as a critical and positive aspect of the immune response to fungal infections.

If you like to read, I uploaded:

Could a virus use bacteria or fungus as a host cell?​

https://swaresearch.blogspot.com/2023/11/could-virus-use-bacteria-as-host-cell.html

I did understand that it has a positive effect on candida, but what I was wondering about is it's role in COVID. What happens with Syk tyrosine kinase as a result of having COVID.

In COVID, it is involved in microclotting. And then what effect does that happening have on other pathogens in that are hanging out in the body.

SWAlexander

Since I have had thrombosis I have been looking for this exact answer.
No specific evidence published yet. I rather don't speculate on this part (yet).
And then what effect does that happening have on other pathogens in that are hanging out in the body.

lenora

Wow! Thanks to everyone, especially @Manuel for the re-cap. I've been around this for way over 40 yrs. now and I firmly believe that each of us needs to inform ourselves as much as possible about this illness.

Changes occur over time, some people explain things better and we all understand things at different levels. If we keep reviewing, however, things do stay in our minds. This is important and helps give us a sense of purpose.

I know that my mind isn't what it used to be after autoimmune encephalitis. Yes, it does affect the brain, but so little is known about it. If you ask a doctor, even they can't really explain it because it's so new. Encephalitis can be explained, but autoimmune encephalitis and how it impacts the brain is almost foreign. Just thankful for meds that brought me out of it. So thanks to all who help inform all of us of what's going on, how we're affected, etc., etc. Yours, Lenora

Violeta

Since I have had thrombosis I have been looking for this exact answer.
No specific evidence published yet. I rather don't speculate on this part (yet).

COVID-19 Impairs Immune Response to Candida albicans

COVID-19 patients showed an attenuated monocyte CD80 upregulation and abrogated release of IL-6, TNF, IL-1α, and IL-1β toward Candida albicans.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33717195/

Violeta

Detrimental effects of COVID-19 in the brain and therapeutic options for long COVID: The role of Epstein–Barr virus and the gut–brain axis

Furthermore, increasing evidence shows that Epstein–Barr virus (EBV) reactivation after SARS-CoV-2 infection might play a role in long COVID symptoms. Moreover, alterations in the microbiome after SARS-CoV-2 infection might contribute to acute and long COVID symptoms

https://www.unmc.edu/healthsecurity...of-epstein-barr-virus-and-the-gut-brain-axis/

SWAlexander

Violeta Thank you.​

Found one more:
Candida can cause infections if it grows out of control or if it enters deep into the body. For example, it can cause infections in the bloodstream or internal organs like the kidney, heart, or brain. Learn more about how Candida develops antimicrobial resistance and causes illness.
https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/index.html

Antimicrobial Resistance in Candida

excerpt:
Patients with Candida infections that are resistant to both fluconazole and echinocandin drugs have very few treatment options. The primary treatment option is amphotericin B, a drug that can be toxic for patients who are already very sick. Growing evidence suggests that patients who have antimicrobial-resistant Candida bloodstream infections (also known as candidemia) are less likely to survive than patients who have candidemia that can be treated by antifungal drugs.2,3

Concern is rising over the emerging fungus Candida auris,4 which is rare in most areas of the United States but is a growing threat. Resistance rates for C. auris are much higher than for other Candida species:
  • About 90% of U.S. C. auris samples are resistant to fluconazole
  • Up to one-third are resistant to the antifungal drug amphotericin B.5
Although most C. auris samples are susceptible to echinocandins, resistance to echinocandin drugs can also develop while the patient is being treated with these types of drugs. Moreover, C. auris is a concerning public health issue, especially because it can be difficult to identify with standard laboratory methods and spreads easily in healthcare settings, such as hospitals and long-term care facilities with patients who have high care needs.
https://www.cdc.gov/fungal/diseases/candidiasis/antifungal-resistant.html

I posted a summary:

Types of Fungal Diseases: Example Candida

Last edited:

SWAlexander

Finally: Science is waking up to fungal infections

New antifungal kills without toxic side effects​

The antifungal Amphotericin B (AmB) is an old and effective drug—it saved many COVID-19 patients whose compromised immune systems failed to stop secondary fungal infections. But it sometimes causes life-threatening kidney damage. Now, after more than a decade of sleuthing into this toxicity, researchers have not only found an explanation, but used it to devise a powerful antifungal alternative without any obvious side effects in mice and human cells. And the strategy that led to the discovery of the compound, described today in Nature, may offer a route for detoxifying other antimicrobial drugs.
https://www.science.org/content/article/new-antifungal-kills-without-toxic-side-effects

Back