• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Energy saving tips for the moderately severe patient

MEKoan

I have a Sport Seat, too, so you can also get them in Canada. I got mine at a store that specialized in things for people with bad backs... the Back Support Store or something like that but it was many years ago.

I don't use it to walk as I find having to repeatedly engage an arm while walking just makes matter worse. So, I hook the handle on my backpack and carry it that way. You sit with the stool between your legs, not with the handle behind your back, which is good for us because you can sit and lean at the same time.

By the by, Victoria, you would make a fantastic OT or Coach for the disabled! Maybe something to consider when we are all cured!

camas

I have a cane chair. At first I was too embarrassed to use it, but after one try I always took it with me. Being able to sit down no matter where I am makes all the difference in the world. I only wish there was one with padding.

I was so self-conscious the first time I used my cane, but quickly realized that few really even notice and when they do it's usually only to get out of your way which is an added bonus!

I wonder if this one would be too much to lug around? Here's another that isn't padded, but looks comfortable. Again, though, it might be a bit cumbersome to walk with because of its size.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
portable "sport seats" or "cane/seat" combinations

I wonder if this one would be too much to lug around? Here's another that isn't padded, but looks comfortable. Again, though, it might be a bit cumbersome to walk with because of its size.

I'd be wary of getting something that seems more comfortable but ends up being too heavy to lug around. Four pounds may not sound like much but it adds up. That type of thing might be okay if you're going to carry it a very short distance and then sit for a relatively long time. But four pounds is probably something you would not want to carry in your hand while you walk down the street or through the mall.

One of the reasons that I like the cane/seat combo that I have is that it is so lightweight (a bit more than a pound). It's not padded and so it is not comfortable to sit on for more than maybe 5-10 minutes at most. If I want to rest then I need a chair or bench that has a back rest, at minimum! (some padding is nice, too!) I can't tell you the number of times that I'm in the grocery store with my cane/seat but I go over to the deli area to find a "real" chair to sit down. The cane/seat is only used in the checkout line or if I need to read some ingredients while I'm in the aisle (sometimes I sit down on my cane/seat while read labels and figure out which item to buy). Another example is at the doctor's office when there's a line for check-in. I use the cane/seat to wait in line until it's my turn to show my insurance card and so on.

But I don't use it for resting (e.g., sitting for an hour). I actually don't even use it as a cane (except on those rare days when I have some balance problems). I use it only as a temporary seat so that I don't have to stand in line. It's definitely a short term solution!

Hugs

camas

That's kind of what I was thinking too, ahimsa. Four pounds doesn't sound like much, but after awhile it could be a real pain. I'm so grateful for New Seasons delivery. It's probably been a year since I've been in a Fred's and that was only to get garden related stuff. My hats off to you for braving grocery shopping!

Mithriel

My biggest help in the kitchen is a table top halogen oven. I can't stand at the cooker any more.

http://www.halogenoven.org.uk/

It means I don't have to bend and the food tastes wonderful as a bonus.

I just chop up any vegetables in large chunks and coat with some olive oil and a bit salt and roast them. Meat is great too. But the biggest advantage it has is it turns itself off! my memory is terrible and I have burned a lot of pots. :(

I used walking sticks and felt very self conscious but by the time I got a wheelchair i was so desperate to gate out I was never bothered at all. less than half of wheelchair uses can't get out of them, MS, cerebral palsy, arthritis, so there is no need to feel embarrassed.

When I was a bit better I occasionally used a rollator. You can get them in the US a well.

http://www.rdkmobility.co.uk/Lightweight-4-Wheel-Aluminium-Rollator.html

It is padded, very comfortable to sit on and stable for pushing.

I store it in the kitchen and it is useful fr resting and for sitting to chop vegetables and sitting at the table for my meals.

Mithriel

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
My biggest help in the kitchen is a table top halogen oven. I can't stand at the cooker any more.

http://www.halogenoven.org.uk/

... But the biggest advantage it has is it turns itself off! my memory is terrible and I have burned a lot of pots. :(

That oven looks pretty cool - thanks for posting the link.

And I can definitely relate on the memory issues. Having it turn itself off is a great feature. That's one reason that I love my rice cooker. (well, actually, it turns itself from cook to warm, not off, but that's good enough to keep the rice from burning).

But even though there are only three steps (1-add rice, 2-add water, 3-turn it on), I've still messed it up a few times! Several times I have put in the rice and water and then forgotten to turn it on. Then one time I actually measured out the rice and poured it in and then turned on the cooker without adding any water! I don't know why it happened but I just completely forgot to add water. Fortunately, I walked by the cooker at some point and noticed that there was no steam coming out of the top. That alerted me that something was wrong before the rice burned to a crisp.

I'm waiting for the day when I forget to add the rice - that's the only step left for me to forget! I can imagine myself opening the rice cooker and wondering where all the rice went... :D