• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drinking baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) may treat autoimmune disease

This is clearly MCAS, read Robert Afrin's, Molderings articles on mast cell activation(search on pubmed.com).
Mast cell activation disease: a concise practical guide for diagnostic workup and therapeutic options

Afrin has an excellent talk here (from 2016):

2 hours. Beginning is background, biology. Dx criteria in 2nd half hour. 3rd half hour, he goes through long list of symptoms. 4th half hour: answers question.

Another Afrin talk here, from Nov 2017, 1 hour:

I did screenshots of some of his slides; most have time stamps on them.

Attachments

• Afrin_MCAS_2016_slidesfromTalk.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 23

Wonkmonk

Can sodium bicarbonate be absorbed via the oral mucosa?

I wrote in an earlier post that I felt worse when taking about a gram orally, but it seems to me that today I also worsened by using a teaspoon for brushing my teeth (without swallowing anything and rinsing with clear water afterwards).

tiredowl

Would this have any negative effects on SIBO or gut infections? Would neutralizing the stomach acid be bad in that case?

kangaSue

Would this have any negative effects on SIBO or gut infections? Would neutralizing the stomach acid be bad in that case?
This would be one reason why you should take it away from food.

I did read it suggested that neutralizing the stomach acid in having sodium bicarbonate an hour before food actually stimulates more acid production when you next eat as your system then senses the alkaline state of the stomach.

outdamnspot

Can sodium bicarbonate be absorbed via the oral mucosa?

I wrote in an earlier post that I felt worse when taking about a gram orally, but it seems to me that today I also worsened by using a teaspoon for brushing my teeth (without swallowing anything and rinsing with clear water afterwards).

Hi I bought some baking soda to use as a toothpaste but have been scared to try it because I react to everything. I was just curious what happened with your experiment?

prioris

Hi I bought some baking soda to use as a toothpaste but have been scared to try it because I react to everything. I was just curious what happened with your experiment?

the molecular weight of baking soda is 84 so I would expect so

You should consider using a remineralizing toothpaste like apagard or MI Paste
way far more effective for teeth

Wonkmonk

any substance with molecular weight of 1000 will generally absorb thru skin ... under 500 very easily

Acutally...does that mean if I rub my skin with a big amount of alcohol (molecular weight 46), I get drunk? That doesn't sound quite right.

Hip

Acutally...does that mean if I rub my skin with a big amount of alcohol (molecular weight 46), I get drunk? That doesn't sound quite right.

The 500 dalton rule does state that substances with molecular weight less than 500 daltons (= 500 grams per mole) can pass through the skin.

Ethanol will probably pass through the skin in small amounts, but bear in mind that to get significantly drunk, you would need to consume around 100 ml of ethanol (equivalent to a bottle of wine), which would be 79 grams of ethanol. I don't think you would be able to absorb such high amounts, so you are unlikely to get drunk from having ethanol placed on your skin.

When I apply magnesium sulfate solution on my skin from head to toe, I estimate I probably absorb around 2 grams of magnesium over a period of several hours. So this is the sort of head-to-toe absorption rate of the skin: we are talking in terms of around 1 gram per hour. That's not fast enough to get you drunk from alcohol.

This study where researchers placed their feet in vodka alcohol for 3 hours did not record any increase in blood alcohol levels.

Last edited:

prioris

The 500 dalton rule does state that substances with molecular weight less than 500 daltons (= 500 grams per mole) can pass through the skin.

Ethanol will probably pass through the skin in small amounts, but bear in mind that to get significantly drunk, you would need to consume around 100 ml of ethanol (equivalent to a bottle of wine), which would be 79 grams of ethanol. I don't think you would be able to absorb such high amounts, so you are unlikely to get drunk from having ethanol placed on your skin.

When I apply magnesium sulfate solution on my skin from head to toe, I estimate I probably absorb around 2 grams of magnesium over a period of several hours. So this is the sort of head-to-toe absorption rate of the skin: we are talking in terms of around 1 gram per hour. That's not fast enough to get you drunk from alcohol.

This study where researchers placed their feet in vodka alcohol for 3 hours did not record any increase in blood alcohol levels.

Interesting. That may make sense. It may be that absorption becomes more difficult the more layers of skin it goes through. Kind of like a filter. For skin treatment, lower molecular weight has greater efficacy for skin treatments, Since our skin is our most important organ protecting us, it may make sense for absorption to become less permeable so it won't go completely through.

pamojja

When I apply magnesium sulfate solution on my skin from head to toe, I estimate I probably absorb around 2 grams of magnesium over a period of several hours. So this is the sort of head-to-toe absorption rate of the skin: we are talking in terms of around 1 gram per hour. That's not fast enoug

Youe enzyclopedic knowledge is always impressing me. Maybe you also came accross a study meassuring the absorbtion of sea-minerals by swimming up to 1 hour in the ocean?

Hip

Youe enzyclopedic knowledge is always impressing me. Maybe you also came accross a study meassuring the absorbtion of sea-minerals by swimming up to 1 hour in the ocean?

Unfortunately that "knowledge" is only my own guesstimate, rather than an established fact. But there is some reasoning behind it, so I think 2 grams absorption of magnesium from the skin is about right.

I don't think you would absorb any significant amount of minerals from swimming in the sea, as concentration of salt in the sea is fairly low. For the same reason, I don't think you would absorb much magnesium from Epsom salts baths, because the Epsom salts you use is diluted down in 100s of liters of bathwater. That's why when I use Epsom salts, I make up a 100% saturated solution (I use around 2 mugfuls in 750 ml of water — very concentrated) and then apply that to my skin.

pamojja

Was refering to your knowledge of such obscure studies, as if it is possible to get drunk by vodka foodbath.

Anyway, makes sence that a strong gradient is needed.

panckage

Anyone know how baking soda effects extended release medications? I take a GERD drug that lasts for 24hrs and am worried that it will react with the pill in my stomach. Is this an issue?

Isn’t mild CFS a non sequitur, like “mild cancer?” Either you have it or you don’t. Do you mean your CFS manifests mildly=& ?

Huh? Cancer comes in four stages, doesn't it? There are also several known pre-cancerous states.

All the people I know IRL who have CFS/ME have varying levels of the disease, from as the PP says 'mild' to completely unable to live without round the clock care.

Sorry if i misunderstood your comment it just seems strange.

Remi

That's why when I use Epsom salts, I make up a 100% saturated solution (I use around 2 mugfuls in 750 ml of water — very concentrated) and then apply that to my skin.

I read* if you add 1:1 baking soda to epsom salt, it absorbs better.

*Vitamin D Wellness group on FB

Abha

Abha
Unfortunately that "knowledge" is only my own guesstimate, rather than an established fact. But there is some reasoning behind it, so I think 2 grams absorption of magnesium from the skin is about right.

I don't think you would absorb any significant amount of minerals from swimming in the sea, as concentration of salt in the sea is fairly low. For the same reason, I don't think you would absorb much magnesium from Epsom salts baths, because the Epsom salts you use is diluted down in 100s of liters of bathwater. That's why when I use Epsom salts, I make up a 100% saturated solution (I use around 2 mugfuls in 750 ml of water — very concentrated) and then apply that to my skin.

Hi Hip,
I haven't been on Forum much recently so I haven't read much of this thread.Re absorbing minerals from the sea, I have just watched an excellent documentary(Channel 174 PBS America)..on Youtube see this...

In a section near the end of the programme it shows a lady who has had a bad eczema problem since early teens.She goes to the Dead Sea(to a clinic there..LOT Hotel?)for about 10 days yearly and the very rich minerals in that water especially magnesium help to clear up her condition and refresh her for another year.PBS usually repeat programmes so i'm sure they'll show it at a later date or on youtube.

I see that the programme(Saving the Dead Sea/PBS America) is showing in UK at 2.55pm on Saturday 31st August.

Last edited:

pattismith

Incidentally, it is the parietal cells of the stomach that are found to be infected with chronic non-cytolytic enterovirus in patients with enterovirus-associated ME/CFS (see Dr John Chia's study). I wonder whether such infected parietal cells might be the cause of the low stomach acid levels that some ME/CFS patients like myself anecdotally report using the (unvalidated) bicarbonate burp test for stomach acidity level.

Did you open the poll about the burping test? I did it this morning (30 mn ago) with a teaspoon of Bicarbonate, but got no burp at all...