• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Drinking baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) may treat autoimmune disease

Mary

Moderator Resource
Does this count towards sarcoidosis? I know technically it's a inflammation disease but it's autoimmune disease overall
I'd say why not give it a try? I think no one knows exactly how effective the baking soda treatment will be for various illnesses. I've used myself as a guinea pig dozens of times in the last many years. With anything new I try, I start low and go slow. I've found unfortunately that baking soda raises my BP. I don't have an autoimmune illness to my knowledge but I just thought it might help my immune system overall. My sister has rheumatoid arthritis so it might help her, and unfortunately for her as well, baking soda raises her BP. However, I think it's worth an experiment to see if potassium bicarbonate helps in the same way as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) so she's going to do an experiment with that.

Anyways, I think at this point no one knows. It might help you, it might not, but I think there's only one way to find out. And of course it's good to start low and go slow, so you can be aware of any adverse reactions such as an increase in blood pressure.

Also, look at the research on this. All the articles talk about it reducing inflammation . . . .
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/04/180425093745.htm
https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321624#Baking-soda-and-mesothelial-cells

HABS93

@Mary Terrific find on this btw! Anything that helps with inflammation other then Prednisone sounds like a good idea to experiment with!
Going to deep dive into the articles !

Gondwanaland

@Gondwanaland - how did you manage to take only 30 -40 mg a day? A teaspoon equals about 4 grams, or 4000 mg. So were you taking 1/10 of a teaspoon when the potassium bicarbonate caused your BP to tank?

eta: whoops! My math was wrong above, off by a factor of 10. To get 40 mg from 4000 mg, you'd have to divide by 100 - 1/100 of a teaspoon of potassium bicarbonate would yield 40 mg.
I had 500mg capsules and took less than 1/10 of it. I still have the full bottle gathering dust in my supplement cabinet :rolleyes:

kangaSue

I've found unfortunately that baking soda raises my BP.
If it's the sodium content alone raising your bp, it's often mentioned that where this occurs (for those taking baking soda to help with reflux anyway) to try having 2 parts sodium bicarbonate to 1 part potassium bicarbonate (mix the dry powders together then dilute with water as per usual dose being used) to reduce the sodium load.

I don't know if that changes anything where the effect on mesothelial cells are concerned though. Potassium does have some anti-inflammatory properties and alkalising with potassium bicarbonate can be helpful during periods of physical inactivity according to this study;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29739680
Alkalinization with potassium bicarbonate improves glutathione status and protein kinetics in young volunteers during 21-day bed rest.

https://www.mayoclinicproceedings.org/article/S0025-6196(16)00047-1/fulltext
Achieving the Benefits of a High-Potassium, Paleolithic Diet, Without the Toxicity

Mary

Moderator Resource
Potassium does have some anti-inflammatory properties and alkalising with potassium bicarbonate can be helpful during periods of physical inactivity according to this study;
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29739680
Alkalinization with potassium bicarbonate improves glutathione status and protein kinetics in young volunteers during 21-day bed rest.
Potassium bicarbonate sounds tailor-made for ME/CFS! ME/CFS is characterized by inactivity and inflammation, and low glutathione levels, among other things. The study you linked says in part:
Physical inactivity is associated with lean body mass wasting, oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory changes of cell membrane lipids. Alkalinization may potentially counteract these alterations.
I've never heard this before, that alkalinization could help with oxidative stress and pro-inflammatory changes of cell membrane lipids and glutathione levels. I think this is huge actually for persons with ME/CFS, who are so sedentary and yet so subject to high levels of lactic acid, and also victims of body mass wasting. I never knew that alkalinization could help with all these issues! Even if potassium bicarbonate had no effect on mesothelial cells as sodium bicarbonate does, these effects alone would be enough to give it a try! Thanks so much for the link :nerd:

Although I would not be at all surprised if the increased alkalinity from sodium bicarbonate was a factor in its role in helping to reverse autoimmunity, and if this is the case, then potassium bicarbonate should help with autoimmunity as well. Since alkalinization helps with
pro-inflammatory changes of cell membrane lipids
, I don't think it's too much of a leap to posit that alkalinization helps with the inflammation associated with autoimmune diseases, or at the very least I think it's definitely worth exploring.

Last edited: