• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coronavirus: what your country is doing, how you feel & general discussion

ellie84

They will be delivering food and medicine to patients who have been discharged from hospital before they normally would and are unable to get out. There is often a delay in discharging patients who dont have a medical reason to stay in hospital. They need help at home to get over an operation for instance. They dont need a hospital bed. Other jobs will be driving and helping out with logistics.
That's nice :) I would help if I was there! Also, elderly and disabled people may need more help in these times.

andyguitar

You could try your local council @Sallyagerharris as in some areas they are supposed to be providing help for people such as you. 1.5 million people on the vulnerable list are getting a letter from the Gov. So there may be something in the post for you. Its all a bit confusing. o_Oo_O

Last edited:

rainbowbluebells

I have severe ME but do not have any of the conditions listed by the government to put me on the extra vulnerable government list. Does anybody else know if we qualify for this group ... I suffer a lot with breathlessness, lung construction plus POTS ... use a powerchair full time ... any guidance would be great on what others think. I am self isolating and getting food deliveries etc but just wondering ... thank you

Hi, unfortunately ME doesn’t fall Into the list. However it may be that you have lung issues that are severe enough to warrant being on the list. It mentions severe asthma and severe COPD. Do you have any of those conditions? However even if you’re not on the list, it is possible to try to sign up to apply to be on the “extremely vulnerable” list which I’ll find a link for you.(edit: I’ve put it in the post below this one).

this is the list of conditions: https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...ng-extremely-vulnerable-persons-from-covid-19

What do we mean by extremely vulnerable?

People falling into this extremely vulnerable group include:

1. Solid organ transplant recipients.
  2. People with specific cancers:
    • people with cancer who are undergoing active chemotherapy or radical radiotherapy for lung cancer
    • people with cancers of the blood or bone marrow such as leukaemia, lymphoma or myeloma who are at any stage of treatment
    • people having immunotherapy or other continuing antibody treatments for cancer
    • people having other targeted cancer treatments which can affect the immune system, such as protein kinase inhibitors or PARP inhibitors
    • people who have had bone marrow or stem cell transplants in the last 6 months, or who are still taking immunosuppression drugs
  3. People with severe respiratory conditions including all cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and severe COPD.
  4. People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).
  5. People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.
  6. Women who are pregnant with significant heart disease, congenital or acquired.

Last edited:

rainbowbluebells

@Sallyagerharris

Here is a link to apply to be placed on the extremely vulnerable list, if you already haven’t been. https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable

I think it’s definitely worth applying even if you’re not sure and don’t have the conditions. Just incase they accept people based on other criteria.

Even if you don’t get on the list,also have a look at COVID Mutual aid https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/
you can find your local group and join the Facebook page. There are often nice people there who are happy to help bring groceries or help our in other ways with information on your local area etc. Let me know if you need any other help. :)

Rufous McKinney

People with rare diseases and inborn errors of metabolism that significantly increase the risk of infections (such as SCID, homozygous sickle cell).

We are sort of in this category? They treat us like our disease is rare (ignore, no clue, stare, sent home, no treatment etc).

We dont' really yet know- how ME folks will respond to corona....without more time and observation....(I'm encouraged by our small PR sample...).

Too bad we couldn't: create a data set for Corona and ME. Like a site to report various categories and severity and...we keep track. Including: never got it. (or don't seem to have).

My lung improvement experiment is going well: serrapeptase...and chinese herbs to moisten the lung and throat. I feel far more: prepared should this thing appear. If the mucous linings are too dry (a not uncommon condition with ME...)it may be harder to clear the lungs.

I also got some slippery elm.... if I try this i will start with a very low dose...

rainbowbluebells

@Rufous McKinney I don’t really know if we would come under that list in terms of increase in infections / immunosuppression. We might do. I become a lot more ill when I get a virus / infection. But I don’t know if that’s because the body is mounting too much of an attack, in which case we would have autoimmune type problems. Another problem ME people have is issues with breathing, breathlesness etc which I’m sure is related to the lungs in some way even if there’s no official documents about it yet.

YippeeKi YOW !!

What do you all think about this kind of messages?
Uhhhh ..... I appreciate her efforts here, but I think I'll look for another source with maybe a little more .... uh .... depth perception. Her heart's in the right place, but her head is miles away from mine ....

All of us will find our own unique ways of dealing with this, and many of us have already been dealing with it for, like, years :rolleyes::rolleyes: :xeyes::xeyes::xeyes: ....

Last edited:

ellie84

I stopped listening the moment she urged people to go outside :zippit::zippit::zippit: that's just plain WRONG, to me. Especially when in many countries, like mine, it's actually prohibited to go outside, if not for extreme necessity. And she has a large following from all over the world. I'm like... hello?! Is the USA not on planet Earth?

@YippeeKi YOW !! She is young, it's understandable she hasn't had a lot of life experience. But when you are a so called "influencer" aren't you meant not to spread so plain wrong messages? Don't talk about stuff you have no idea about, it's ok to keep your opinion to yourself sometimes.

Gingergrrl

People on immunosuppression therapies sufficient to significantly increase risk of infection.

I am curious about this part (nothing to do with UK policy of who receives help vs. a general question). I watched an online video presentation last night from a neurologist at George Washington University (I did not write down his name but can find it if useful). He said verbatim, "Immune suppression was NOT identified as a risk factor for severe infection in China".

I am researching this re: my own treatment (for autoimmunity) and will be doing a phone consult next week w/my doctor. There is a lot of contradictory info on-line re: whether those on immune-suppression treatments are truly at more risk for COVID. I actually do NOT know the answer but was wondering what the UK based that statement on (was it a specific piece of research with COVID or just an assumption?)-- which would certainly be a logical one!

It seems that people with pre-existing heart & lung conditions and diabetes are more susceptible to becoming gravely ill from COVID vs. those on immuno-suppressive treatments. But I am not sure WHY and I am not even sure if this is true? Do you know anything about this @rainbowbluebells since I know you are following a lot of this research in great detail? Thx in advance!

YippeeKi YOW !!

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has covid 19. Has tested positive and has 'mild symptoms'. Now in isolation at home. Says he will continue to work.
Oh please God, noooooo .... does he have to?
Could't help being gleeful (is that correct?).
Well, since I burst into loud and long laughter, it feels right to me !!!

COVID has zero known human benefits. When it delivers up a rare one, it would be sinful to waste it.... :angel: :thumbsup::thumbsup: :woot::woot:

pamojja

and might be useful to show to those people who think Covid19 is similar to the flu (bold added):

Just did a quick and rough calculation.

Total populations: https://www.laenderdaten.de/bevoelkerung/einwohner.aspx
Flu and pneumonia mortality (2017) per 100000: https://www.worldlifeexpectancy.com/cause-of-death/influenza-pneumonia/by-country/
Covid-19 mortality: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

For a fast calculation divided the yearly usual flu mortality into 4 = the 3 months this 'epidemic' exist. And compared it to the actual mortality from this alledgedly new virus:

View attachment 36522

The only epidemic till today seems to be happening in Italy. But if Italy just drew the bad luck this year, as the UK did in 2017 with 23.01 flu-deaths per 100000, then still nothing out of the ordinary. Soon we'll know.

15 pages of this thread and 9 days later:

Unbenannt1.png

Unbenannt2.png

This time I ordered the table in order of the first reported covid deaths. All countries with more than 999 postive tested included. Only exception are countries with yellow background. Calculated the average death-rate per 100 000 for all these countries at 24.45. With this average the second green column in percent from average was calculated. For the whole world the average death-rate for influenza/pneumonia would actually be 41.35 per 100 000. Almost double, therefore I marked only those results which exceeds 200% from normal.

What is remarkable till now is, that all those countries with excess pneumonia deaths have it in certain regions only! (in the table only added Italy without the regions of Lombaria and Emilia Romagna as example; https://www.bing.com/covid/ does break down the number in regions for countries mostly affected.)

While the vast majority of countries, including most without rigorous lockdowns (asterix on the right with gray background, accordinging to wikipedia, are far from any epidemic.

Here what week 12 (ending on 22th of March) looked like for Europe in respect to total excess mortality:

MAP-2020-12.png

And that’s the comparison of all respiratory diseases (all pathogens) with the last 3 years for Germany (Robert Koch Institute) of this rather mild season:

1585168811.png

Last edited:

ljimbo423