• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coronavirus: what your country is doing, how you feel & general discussion

pamojja

I'm so glad the government of our country is following actual numbers, and due to that have announced that smaller shops below 400 square meters, building and gardening markets will open on April 14th again. After exactly 1 month having been closed down. While keeping all social-distancing rules (1.5 meter, at least 1 in the open), face-masks and desinfection precautions. Hair-dresser beginning of May, if till then possible, restaurants and hotels towards middle of May. Schools remain closed, though final-classes do get their exams under special precautions.

Honestly, I'm utterly shocked how in many other countries individuals who are out in nature with enough social-distancing get herassed and even arrested in other countries (Italy, US..). Sunshine and movement is so important for immune function.

andyguitar

Honestly, I'm utterly shocked how in many other countries individuals who are out in nature with enough social-distancing get herassed and even arrested in other countries (Italy, US..)
You can add the UK to your list of countries that that has a population that are being treated like criminals for doing nothing wrong. I doubt that people are going to put up with living in a police state for much longer. I wont.

Mick

You can add the UK to your list of countries that that has a population that are being treated like criminals for doing nothing wrong. I doubt that people are going to put up with living in a police state for much longer. I wont.

Unfortunately, such an approach will end up badly.
We can only speculate why Austrians are so lucky to have so few cases.

Maybe the density of the population in Austria is not that high?
Maybe they implemented all the measures faster than anyone else?
Maybe Austrians do not come into close contact like Italians do (hugging etc.)?
Maybe Austrians do obey what they are told to do?
Maybe they perform more tests and they can isolate the symptom-free cases more effectively so as not to spread the disease any further?

I don't know and it'd be great if somebody could clear that up.
One thing is for sure: they did something better, maybe they even suffered a little more for a while so that they can now start getting back to normal.

And that's the whole idea: the more you try, the faster you get rewarded.
Because the virus is ruthless in its logic: it can be statistically proven.

Oh, I'd almost forget: all Austrians are supposed to wear masks and sanitize their hands in public space/supermarkets, right? Maybe that's the answer.

It is very weird that many countries do not recommend wearing masks when it is such an easy countermeasure to implement (ie. you can even wear a t-shirt or a scarf for the time being).

Hopefully with better compliance, more tests and better treatment, life will be more bearable...

pamojja

Austria isn't alone. Its only a minority of countries which have higher death-rates than year after year after year of influenca and pneumonia deaths. About 3 millions worldwide (2017 figure). Without anyone caring.

Last edited:

Mick

So, if you're not lucky enough, you'll have to pull through, what can you do.

BTW.
I like to decompose luck. Luck may be something that is sheer luck, ie. random positive outcome.
But it may be something more defined and real, not that obvious at first but possible to notice, however, we can't see it now.

So, maybe Austrians have fewer cases because they used this BCG vaccine in the past? If they did.

BTW 2.
Obese (and even (slightly) overweight) individuals (especially men) are reported to have much worse outcome in the hospital setting.

If an obese man ends up in a hospital he has less than 50 percent chance of survival.

So what can we do when we know this? I actually started fasting, and I'm already back to normal eating for the last 5 days. I had to fast anyway...
I'll be fasting periodically, probably for another 3 days during Easter... and then...
Intermittent fasting doesn't work for me, the effect is not strong enough. It has to be at least 3 days in a row...

I'm not even that obese (BMI = 23.8) but it's rather about the inflammatory, hormonal and metabolic side of my body.

Inflammatory = fat tissue increases inflammation, especially my fat which contains a lot of lumps.
Metabolic = your body needs to be ready to expend a lot of energy from fat if you get sick with corona. You can train your body to do that by fasting.
Hormonal = fat tissue excretes different hormones that may make your condition much worse in case you get sick...

Last edited:

pamojja

Actually with all the precautionery meassures taken I as a high-risk person (3 relevant diagnoses, all in remission) feel saver than ever before my whole life of dying from influenza or coronavirus.

ellie84

No one has ever been arrested in Italy for this LOL we have overcrowded jails as it is, let alone jailing people for quarantine. It was only a crime for a few days and you get charged without being arrested, as with most stuff here. I can tell you that people who violated quarantine are the kind of people who certainly don't give a s**t about a small charge. Now you only get a fine and honestly a lot of people don't even pay fines, it's more a precautionary measure otherwise people wouldn't have understood. We're not as disciplined as you are. I don't think anyone here feels under a police state, it feels like authorities are understanding. People will get tired, but no one expects them to limit their freedom forever. There will be a slow return to normality, although I think some habits will slightly change.
By the way, I just looked up population density in Italy and Austria, it's 4 times higher in Italy than Austria (but I've been to Austria so I imagined it was something like this). There's still a lot of people in the streets, supermarkets etc. (at least in my area), it's just that now instead of being all packed we can stay a meter or more from one another, before there was no way you could do that in the cities.

pamojja

Honestly, I'm utterly shocked how in many other countries individuals who are out in nature with enough social-distancing get herassed and even arrested in other countries (Italy, US..). Sunshine and movement is so important for immune function.
You can add the UK to your list of countries that that has a population that are being treated like criminals for doing nothing wrong.
No one has ever been arrested in Italy for this LOL we have overcrowded jails as it is, let alone jailing people for quarantine.

Sorry for including Italy. I only did because I saw Italian majors going berserk on youtube videos with people in the open with nobody around, with perfect social distancing. And thought, do they have nothing more important to do, than harrass their citicens? - Which being perfectly socially distanced didn't do anything of harm - and if even usually harmless majors so grossly overreact, how worse might police abuse their power? While in my country every politician confirmed that everyone needs to go out for a walk or to sports to stay healthy. Such a surreal contrast.

Mick

I saw Italian majors going berserk on youtube videos with people in the open with nobody around, with perfect social distancing.

Well, the problem is the statistics and human behavior.

So maybe 95% of people will do everything right - keep the distance, etc. But sooner or later 5% will not care and/or start thinking - if they let us out then the pandemic is not that threatening anymore... and in the case of Italy I suppose even this 5% is sufficient to cause major problems.

And there's no way to make people adhere to different countermeasures that they should use... and thus everyone has to be held accountable, ie. everyone has to stay at home....

pamojja

ie. everyone has to stay at home....

The problem in thinking this way: about 99% have 1 major illness, 50% even 3 which on their own could cause death easily, and the much easier with this additional infection. Therefore the most preventive is to stay healthy. Or if already ill, turn it arount with a heroic efforts in life-style interventions.

While the majors in those videos didn't do the most obvious and stayed healthy, but some became morbidetly obese. And are really a risk by pushing everyone to do the same by staying at home without excercise and comfort eating. Not only that, thereby for anyone thinking for themself plainly obvious: they not even started to take this danger serious, by blaming issues which are none. Like for example the major of Rome, asking on a video everyone to stay home (and thereby by definition to decrease immunity), filmed in a beautiful park herself. How pathetic and ignorant.

If politicians gamble that irresponsible with their credibilty. It is only the next locical step that a population doesn't believe a word anymore, and do what every small child is knowing is helping against those comorbidities of covid: Movement out in the fresh air and hopefully real food, along with meaningful social interactions. With the sufficient precautions in place of course.

While 95% are gullible and do harm to their own health further.

Last edited:

Wally

U.S.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...d-from-selling-nonessential-items/ar-BB12k907
Some Walmart, Costco, Target stores barred from selling nonessential items

Local governments around the US are starting to take more draconian measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus by banning "essential" stores such as grocery chains or big-box retailers from selling nonessential items such as clothing and electronics.

These stores, which have been allowed to stay open during state lockdowns across the US because they are deemed as "essential" businesses by selling groceries or offering pharmacy services, for example, are now required by law in some parts of the US to remove any nonessential items from their stores or rope off areas of the store so that customers are unable to access these products. . . .

The only way that customers can shop for these nonessential items is by using online delivery services or curbside pickup. . . .

pamojja

Yesterday I got 2 boxes of organic eggs from a supermarket. At the entrance I was forced to carry a shopping-cart with me. My protest didn't work: either take or don't enter. It sould be for keeping a 1.5 meter distance.

Inside everyone with those carriages cut my way, and with the carriage in front of me I couldn't take a fast step forward to avoid people coming too close. Therefore immetiately parked it somewhere.

This seem the time for social-disobediance: shopping carriages don't protect people coming close or from stupidity..

ellie84

@pamojja I'm sorry but as I said it would be impossible to keep social distancing here if they didn't take the measures that they take, there's just too many people living in the same area. Even with the measures taken, and taking into account the percentage of people not respecting them, there's still a lot of people in the streets. A lot less than before, but just sufficient to give the possibility to distance yourself. If the streets and the shops etc. are crowded how can you keep a distance? I find those mayors' videos so funny. No one is beating us with rods, we are together in this, citizens and authorities.

And the situation you described in the supermarket doesn't happen here, because only a certain amount of people are allowed inside and only one person per family, so there's plenty of space to move and keep distance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne

shopping carriages don't protect people coming close or from stupidity..
:angel:

1586455875752.png

IThinkImTurningJapanese

Japan records 503 coronavirus infections on Wednesday; biggest daily jump since start of pandemic

Japan recorded 503 new coronavirus infections on Wednesday, its biggest daily increase since the start of the pandemic, as a state of emergency took effect but commuters still crowded some trains into Tokyo despite government calls to stay at home.
The jump in new COVID-19 cases, including 144 in Tokyo underscored the struggle of Japanese authorities to contain the outbreak without imposing a sweeping, mandatory lockdown on the population as most countries overseas have done.

Back