• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coronavirus: what your country is doing, how you feel & general discussion

rainbowbluebells

Yes, I think with the added stress, my ME/CFS symptoms are set to the max. If I didn't have ME/CFS, I would swear I had the flu, chest tightness and all. Thankfully no other troubling symptoms are present.

I’m very stressed too. And lack of sleep. I am now of the opinion that for me too, these are probably just increased ME symptoms. For my mum too, she’s very stressed. I don’t feel any shortness of breath, any fever or proper cough. So I won’t worry. Or at the most, it’s maybe a cold.

Inara

Im not able to watch the video atm, due to not feeling too well. So is the answer, that it’s good or not good to take ACE inhibitors with coronavirus?
If that information in the video is correct (which I didn't check) then it's not good.
Correction: I misunderstood. See below.

Edit: I think it's the speaker's theory. So I view it as speculation, not fact.

Edit2: It's a hypothesis in a paper that was published in The Lancet.

Edit3: A reply by ESC to the hypothesis said that in animal models these inhibitors seemed protective.

Edit4: I may mix something.

Edit5: The speaker concludes that there is no data, but that animal models indicate that ARBs and ACE inhibitors might actually be good.

Last edited:

Rufous McKinney

So is the answer, that it’s good or not good to take ACE inhibitors with coronavirus?

I watched that whole video a couple of weeks back, I just take one beta blocker...but my husband takes several things so eventually- I am cognitively exhausted (ME symptoms worsening...detox, PEM)....and end up entirely confused. Like my brain will just abruptly cease all rational thinking and just parks on-I don't know.

Its a really infuriating aspect of this stuff- Puff and I just stop thinking. I'm following along, things make general sense, then suddenly- sense stops and its just Puff.

And isn't something ridiculous about how our doctors- don't do a thing- like call and go: YOU are one of my patients taking X # of ACE inhibitors and I recommend you do X. Instead- its silence and nothing. Yes, we should call.......

Gingergrrl

No change in taste/smell though.

I apologize if this was already explained (and I was not able to read this entire thread) but does COVID-19 cause people who are infected to have a change in their ability to taste and smell? I hope you feel better soon @rainbowbluebells and thank you for all of the info that you have provided us.

Here's a news article with 4 individual stories from Italy:
!!!TRIGGER WARNING!!!

Wow, that was very sad and made me :cry: ... I hope you are feeling better today @Inara too :hug:

ljimbo423

I watched that whole video a couple of weeks back, I just take one beta blocker.

I watched the whole thing too. The speaker says "we really don't know at this point" if ACE inhibiters or ARbs are harmful. He said he's in agreement with the "council on Hypertension of the European Society of Cardiology" below, highlighted in blue.

Which says to continue taking them because "there is no clinical or scientific evidence to suggest that treatment with ACEI or ARBs should be discontinued because of COVID 19 infection".

1584831074293.png

Gingergrrl

Inara

Wow, that was very sad and made me :cry: ... I hope you are feeling better today @Inara too
Thank you :hug: Still breathing problems, but with additional oxygen everything's fine.

In the UK, 220 people have died as a result of coronavirus infection on Saturday evening. In order to offer the virus less of a target, sick and unhealthy Britons should stay at least twelve weeks at the request of their government. Those that the government recommends self-isolation include organ transplant recipients, cystic fibrosis patients, patients with blood or bone marrow cancer, and some people who take drugs that suppress their immune systems.

An alliance of authorities, the military, retailers and volunteers will organize food and medicine deliveries for those affected.
https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundhe...ec9050-0d8d-4063-80ec-16c481b17c23__editorial

It feels like UK's prime minister is playing the "divide and conquer" game aggressively.
Many people worldwide will think the same: Why have I to step back for the old and sick, why don't they just stay at home?
And why is that not a solution?

Inara

but does COVID-19 cause people who are infected to have a change in their ability to taste and smell?
The story I read was that a German doctor observed in a part of his patients (like 70% or so?) that they couldn't taste and/or smell.
My spontaneous thought was: Does the virus also go at IP3 receptors (like other virusses, too), not only ACE2? Or is this secondary? (Not that I know the answer...)

rainbowbluebells

Thank you :hug: Still breathing problems, but with additional oxygen everything's fine.

https://www.zeit.de/wissen/gesundhe...ec9050-0d8d-4063-80ec-16c481b17c23__editorial

It feels like UK's prime minister is playing the "divide and conquer" game aggressively.
Many people worldwide will think the same: Why have I to step back for the old and sick, why don't they just stay at home?
And why is that not a solution?

This is the first time I’ve heard that vulnerable people will be helped with food, medicine etc!
As far as I know, there are no specific plans for this and this has not been announced by the PM or his advisers.

For the past two weeks, there has been no delivery slots at the supermarkets so vulnerable people cannot even get food delivered. Everyone is still panic buying. Supermarket shelves empty. Only recently, the supermarkets have announced that elderly and vulnerable people can be prioritised for supermarket shopping for one hour in the morning. What about people who are too ill to leave the house or too worried about contracting the virus when at the supermarket and when around lots of people? There are no rules here like in other countries, about restricting the number of people going into supermarkets.

Me and my mum who fall into the vulnerable group have just been living off the tinned and canned foods we have at home. We get our medicine delivered through a pharmacy service as usual. No one from govt / council has contacted us to check whether we are safe or ok or even eating! Maybe they’re planning something for the future... but haven’t heard about it.

Yes, but there’s one major glaring problem. Many vulnerable and elderly people are actually living with “healthy” people. So they are going to bring in the virus. Then there’s the fact they see carers, postmen; food delivery people etc.. there’s no way to stop just one group getting exposed. Sometimes I wonder where the UK govt is even getting their ideas from.. it doesn’t seem to be coming from thinking about it, because even I and my mum noticed this glaring error a long time ago..

The only way to deal with it is, everyone has to stay at home. I hope other countries govts don’t look at the UK and try to copy them because our plan is disastrous. anyway, recently the uk has been changing tack.. although I think no one knows what strategy they’re really pursuing.. but they do seem to be asking people in general to stay at home. Although not really enforcing it.

Schools are meant to be “closed” but are actually open for kids of “key workers” and the list of “key workers” is huge so basically that means schools are still open.

Last edited:

rainbowbluebells

OH MY GOD.

Today a national newspaper, the Sunday Times, broke the news about the origin of the herd immunity strategy. People who were in that meeting have now broken their silence. The person who seems to have come up with strategy is a Cummings, a government “aide”, who has in the past said disgraceful things re eugenics.

Last edited:
Back