• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coronavirus: what your country is doing, how you feel & general discussion

brenda

@Hip said "Prior to the rediscovery of the Greek texts, Europe languished in the dark ages, where there was very little logical or scientific thought, because everyone was steeped in religious ideas and religious teaching. Few thought scientifically at that time, because the methodologies of science and logic in a sense are not "natural" ways of thinking, but have to be taught.

The Greek texts — Aristotle, etc — when they were rediscovered in the Middle Ages re-educated Europe in how to think logically and scientifically. They were like downloading a new piece of software that gave Europe great new capabilities in thought and understanding. Of course initially the Christian hierarchy banned them."

Just to correct some errors here, it is believed that it started in Florence but that is according to western historians especially in the Roman Catholic Church, but the Eastern Orthodox Church which had no dark age, continuing to develop philosophically and scientifically and recorded a different scenario.

The texts were taken from the Hagia Sofia, the central Orthodox Church in Constantinople when it was ransacked by the Crusaders from Venice. The church in the west had been taken over by the Catholic see in Rome and in following the philosophy of Plato, went into what is known as the dark ages, and learning just about ceased.

The RCC were the ones who banned them or tried to. So this great learning came from a part of the church that the west knew and still knows little about.

Last edited:

pamojja

And the title and my first posts of the thread are about what your govts are doing, how you’re feeling about it and so on. So I am feeling panicky. and I am talking about what my govt is doing. That’s literally what the thread is about.

Exactly. And while any feeling shouldn't be simple surpressed, or just unintentionally lived out, the third option is welcoming what ever arises, and distancing yourself a bid to be able to give itself - the panic felt in your body (and not at what it is projected at dictated by mindless media) - your full and welcoming attention. Attended this way, it can't but evolve and transform in something useful in this hysterical situation. Otherwise your just artificially stagnating and perpetuating the feeling. Which always wants to evolve.

Especially about things like road accidents?

Here are the good news! I think the decrease in NO2 with the decrease in traffic and industry and along with long due hygiene meassurment will really make up for any increase in any of the major infection deaths.

NO2-China.png

NO2-Wuhan.png

However, the economical impact, other then from the infection itself, is just too unpredictible and in the long run might bring even worse total mortality on a much wider scale!

Therefore we shouldn't only out of panic literally force our governments into panicy restrictions. But really become aware first if we aren't really trying to drive lucifer away with satan. Figuratively speaking.

No good and sustainable decision are made out of fear, ever.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I saw a similar video in the Uk - people in some gyms; saying the virus wasn’t so serious and they’ll just “take it on the chin” (exact same words our prime minister said).
Good God !!! The world is drowning in morons ....

@IThinkImTurningJapanese posted a Japanese saying "There's no pill for stupid." I followed that with an old US saying: "Steel dont heal, rust dont sleep, and stupid is forever ...". I always thought it was funny.

Until this last few weeks .....

Actually, the funny pretty much stopped about 3 1/2 years ago, but that's another story, connected to this one, but dangerous ground .....

Last edited:

rainbowbluebells

Exactly. And while any feeling shouldn't be simple surpressed, or just unintentionally lived out, the third option is welcoming what ever arises, and distancing yourself a bid to be able to give itself - the panic felt in your body (and not at what it is projected at dictated by mindless media) - your full and welcoming attention. Attended this way, it can't but evolve and transform in something useful in this hysterical situation. Otherwise your just artificially stagnating and perpetuating the feeling. Which always wants to evolve.

Here are the good news! I think the decrease in NO2 with the decrease in traffic and industry and along with long due hygiene meassurment will really make up for any increase in any of the major infection deaths.

View attachment 36533
View attachment 36534

However, the economical impact, other then from the infection itself, is just too unpredictible and in the long run might bring even worse total mortality on a much wider scale!

Therefore we shouldn't only out of panic literally force our governments into panicy restrictions. But really become aware first if we aren't really trying to drive lucifer away with satan. Figuratively speaking.

No good and sustainable decision are made out of fear, ever

I practise mindfulness. But in my view it is important to be able to speak about that anxiety. And speak about what is happening in our country. It is not mindless media - I do not believe that view. You can pick and choose what media you consume to figure out what’s happening around you. And even if it makes me panicky to know what’s going on, I cannot stop knowing what’s going on. Because I am at the heart of it and have been affected already by the epidemic and it is breaking my heart that people are dying because of the govts utter incompetence and heartlessness. If that’s why I’m anxious, then I’m proud to be able to feel that way, and I learn that the anxiety is just a part of me. I don’t want to change that. And I want to speak to others about it, even if it is attached to anxiety - because I know I have a lot to offer in terms of the science I am posting, the journalists I am following and the political inaction I am keeping up to date with, that is happening.

pamojja

But in my view it is important to be able to speak about that anxiety.

Absolutely. Just as I think this situation requires decisions not informed by fear from the unknown. But by being infromed what is already known.

then I’m proud to be able to feel that way, and I learn that the anxiety is just a part of me. I don’t want to change that.

Wow.

rainbowbluebells

YippeeKi YOW !!

Millions of people have been dying needlessly every year before, and nobody really cares about even today.
The difference is that they weren;t all dying at the same time, in just about every country on the planet, with neither testing nor treatment available to stop the avalanche, and with a shortage of protective gear for caregivers and medical personnel, and no where near enough hospital beds, ventilators, even swabs ....

This is a pandemic. Pandemics are uncontrollable, merciless, unstoppable, and like wrestling with an 800 lb gorilla: You don't stop when you get tired, you stop when the gorilla gets tired.

rainbowbluebells

Absolutely. Just as I think this situation requires decisions not informed by fear from the unknown. But by being infromed what is already known.

Wow.

I grew up in an environment of yoga and meditation since I was a small child. And later learned the source of my anxiety, which I will not detail here. Anxiety is a part of me. I am not ashamed. And there’s no need to judge me, or be extremely hurtful, by saying “wow” the way you did - about who I am.

perhaps you do not know the concept.

Learning to love yourself in this way means that you are aware of your faults, but you love yourself anyway. It is an act of radical acceptance to embrace your weaknesses in a society that values power above all else. But as psychologist Tara Brach said, "a moment of radical acceptance is a moment of genuine freedom.”

Last edited:
So I developed a dry cough on Friday that has gotten progressively worse. It's now deep, dry, and constant. Tightness in the chest, fatigue, and headaches started yesterday. The fatigue definitely isn't my typical ME/CFS fatigue - "wired but tired" - but instead is just an oppressive sleepiness. No fever. I thought it was allergies at first, but the lack of any sinus congestion with the worsening cough ruled that out.

Doctor said that I won't be able to get tested until: 1) I have a fever, and 2) can show that I had direct contact with a confirmed case. Wife has started showing the first signs of the same symptoms today.

I started some immune boosting supplements that tend to provoke my ME/CFS (reishi and yeast extract), and stopped taking curcumin. Surprisingly this hasn't triggered my ME/CFS at all over the last two days. Bronkaid (ephedrine+guaifenesin) seems to keep the cough and chest tightness to manageable levels.

Update! I'm on the waiting list for COVID19 testing - Labcorp is ramping up testing capabilities by end of the week for Virginia. Should be getting a call in the next two days to come in to be tested. It takes 4-5 days for the test to process, so I'll largely be recovered by the time the test comes back.

Same symptoms, nothing getting worse, maybe a slight increase in air hunger today? Recorded oral temperature dropped from my normal 98.6 to 98.1 on Monday, 97.8 on Wednesday, and now it is 97.2. Those are recorded averages from throughout the day, taken away from drinking any liquid. So it is looking like the opposite of a fever - maybe this is part of the ME/CFS paradoxical response to pathogens? Someone in this thread mentioned they don't get fevers since ME/CFS - I'm the same way now - been two years without a recorded fever.

Overnight respiratory data is still slightly elevated (15.2 breaths/s versus normal 14.2/s), but unchanged since Tuesday. Resting heart rate has increased to 75bpm today, which is higher than my average of 55bpm.

pamojja

I am not ashamed. And there’s no need to judge me, or be extremely hurtful, by saying “wow” the way you did - about who I am.

Sorry, you missunderstood. It wasn't a judgment at all, but the expression of surprise on my side. I don't even think fear is a fault. It is just a feeling at times very valueable for not taking risks.

Learning to love yourself in this way means that you are aware of your faults, but you love yourself anyway. It is an act of radical acceptance to embrace your weaknesses in a society that values power above all else. But as psychologist Tara Brach said, "a moment of radical acceptance is a moment of genuine freedom.”

I'm surprised because with loving acceptance usually any fear melts into something else. But that you don't want that, was the biggest surprise. Not judgment from my side.

pamojja

Btw, it is a pandemic. The WHO announced that it was a pandemic, quite a while ago. It won’t “become” one, it IS one.

And I don't trust any institutions with financial ties to the pharmaceutical industries. I do consider it though, by searching relyable statistics which would show this thesis holds any water. Which I haven't found yet.

rainbowbluebells

Sorry, you missunderstood. It wasn't a judgment at all, but the expression of surprise on my side. I don't even think fear is a fault. It is just a feeling at times very valueable for not taking risks.

I'm surprised because with loving acceptance usually any fear melts into something else. But that you don't want that, was the biggest surprise. Not judgment from my side.

It is not that I don’t want that. I try to love and accept whatever there is. Sometimes it does melt into something else. Sometimes it doesn’t. And that’s ok with me - I am learning to feel, that it is ok with me.

Last edited:

rainbowbluebells

Update! I'm on the waiting list for COVID19 testing - Labcorp is ramping up testing capabilities by end of the week for Virginia. Should be getting a call in the next two days to come in to be tested. It takes 4-5 days for the test to process, so I'll largely be recovered by the time the test comes back.

Same symptoms, nothing getting worse, maybe a slight increase in air hunger today? Recorded oral temperature dropped from my normal 98.6 to 98.1 on Monday, 97.8 on Wednesday, and now it is 97.2. Those are recorded averages from throughout the day, taken away from drinking any liquid. So it is looking like the opposite of a fever - maybe this is part of the ME/CFS paradoxical response to pathogens? Someone in this thread mentioned they don't get fevers since ME/CFS - I'm the same way now - been two years without a recorded fever.

Overnight respiratory data is still slightly elevated (15.2 breaths/s versus normal 14.2/s), but unchanged since Tuesday. Resting heart rate has increased to 75bpm today, which is higher than my average of 55bpm.

Please keep us updated. I wish you a good recovery and for you to feel better from the infection (whether corona or not). It’s good you’re able to get tested, so you’ll know either way. Do you have a cough?

Edit: just saw from your post before that one , that you do have a cough.

Last edited:
Please keep us updated. I wish you a good recovery and for you to feel better from the infection (whether corona or not). It’s good you’re able to get tested, so you’ll know either way. Do you have a cough?
Thanks, will continue updating. One of my coworkers is reporting similar symptoms now, but with a low grade fever. EDIT: my workplace has been enforcing work from home policies since last Thursday :)

Oh yeah, the cough is interesting. Alternates between being a deep dry cough (usually when walking), and being a shallow persistent dry cough (when resting). The shortness of breath / "air hunger" is also present - usually when I go up the stairs. Headache still responds to acetaminophen, but the cough is getting resistant to cough suppressants.

rainbowbluebells

Thanks, will continue updating. One of my coworkers is reporting similar symptoms now, but with a low grade fever. EDIT: my workplace has been enforcing work from home policies since last Thursday :)

Oh yeah, the cough is interesting. Alternates between being a deep dry cough (usually when walking), and being a shallow persistent dry cough (when resting). The shortness of breath / "air hunger" is also present - usually when I go up the stairs. Headache still responds to acetaminophen, but the cough is getting resistant to cough suppressants.

Thanks for updating.

When I had a really really bad cough last year (I went through two weeks of the worst sore throat I’ve ever had, with a hacking dry cough, fever, and vertigo), I would have a pot of honey next to my bed. Every 15 minutes or so, I would just keep eating a bit of the honey. It would coat my throat.

I must have eaten so much honey in those 2 weeks :d but it was the only thing that soothed my throat and reduced the cough at least a bit!

Last edited:
Back