• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coronavirus: what your country is doing, how you feel & general discussion

rainbowbluebells

Hi, @Littleantlers so I was wrong about the UK backtracking on the herd immunity plan. My mum got confused at the tv channel. It was actually a news health correspondent who was speaking, not a government minister. And they were saying that under the older plan, without the social distancing measures, it would have been too much of a burden. And now with social distancing measures, and isolation of elderly / vulnerable, number of deaths should be reduced quite a lot. So there’s no one from the government actually saying they’ve gone back on the herd immunity plan. Even though there have been changes to social distancing etc.

Bergkamp

But UK came up with herd immunity first (or at least seemed to be talking about it first) and it seemed like we were the only country saying it before..

But I guess your country has some weird scientists too like us too.

Yeah, I know. Perhaps it's based on the same scientific articles or so.

Many ppl in my country are suggesting this was the tactic all along but they are just dripping information as it gets worse, so that the public will be less upset

By the way, basically Germany is also choosing herd immunity since Merkel said she expected 70% of Germans to eventually get it a few days ago

pattismith

Today, on TV, a French woman who currently lives in Italy, has strongly criticized the lack of information and transparency that exists in France concerning patients compared to what she observes in Italy.
Italians are notably informed day by day of the number of patients not hospitalized, hospitalized and in intensive care, region by region.
I said this morning that it was scandalous that no information was given in France on this subject and that it is one of the major obstacles to the taking of this health crisis seriously by the French.

Inara

By the way, basically Germany is also choosing herd immunity since Merkel said she expected 70% of Germans to eventually get it a few days ago
I am confused...

First, I thought that may be their strategy. On the other hand, it seems this will happen nonetheless after a certain point is missed - which they missed (they didn't track infected people properly, and when the first cases became known, they didn't install measures to stop the spreading immediately, but instead went on with "business as usual" although virologists said schools etc. need to be closed NOW). After that point is missed (which most countries did) all you can do is slowing down I understand.
On the other hand, there is what China did...a total shut down. So it seems China chose another strategy, containment. Although we don't know if the virus won't start spreading again...most probably it will. So does Europe go the "Herd immunity" path in order to safe the economy? Or is 70% infection rate unavoidable? Or is containment really doable?

I am really confused honestly. I am pretty unhappy and angry about the lack of honesty and transparency in this situation.

rainbowbluebells

Seems like herd immunity plan is changed after all. If they are following the document drawn up by Imperial College. Although they are not admitting to it yet. The imperial college document does say to stop herd immunity and go with “suppression” ie China style lockdowns.

The UK Only Realised "In The Last Few Days" That Its Coronavirus Strategy Would "Likely Result In Hundreds of Thousands of Deaths"

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/al...-uk-strategy-deaths?__twitter_impression=true

Wally

Wally

Note - the “mandatory” lockdown order in S.F., linked in prior post, is for the City and County of San Francisco not the six surrounding counties.

Conflicting news reports whether the six surrounding S.F. Bay Area Counties* will be issuing similar orders or if the Mayor of S.F. has gone rouge to put in place what appears to be the most restrictive and mandatory lockdown order that has been issued in the U.S. [*Edit - Update all counties have now issued a similar “shelter in place” order as S.F’s order linked above in Reply #268 and in the news article below..]

The order is mandatory in that violations or failure to comply is a misdedmeanor punishable by fine, imprisonment of both. Power to enforce this order has been given to Police and Sheriff Departments.

Emergency Text Alert notifications keep going off on my phone for one of the surrounding Counties, but I am unable to open the link to see what the order says. Text message - “New Health Order for . .. for COVID19 -Stay Home-No Gatherings. ...health.org”

https://www.kqed.org/science/1957877/live-updates-coronavirus-in-the-san-francisco-bay-area
Six Bay Area Counties, City of Berkeley Issue 'Shelter in Place' Orders
KQED Science and KQED News
Mar 15

Six Bay Area counties and the City of Berkeley have issued shelter-in-place orders to restrict people to mostly indoors, except for essential activities. The counties are: Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara. Read the order applying to San Francisco here.

San Francisco Mayor London Breed spoke at a press conference this afternoon. “The time now is not to panic; it’s for us to come together," she said. "It’s for us to follow the directives, to prevent the spread of the coronavirus so that we can get through this very challenging time. Ultimately we will.”

Breed's office has already released details of the order, which goes into effect at midnight tonight and runs through April 7. All residents are directed to stay home except for activities like getting services or supplies. People can also walk, take pets out, and hike and run outdoors provided they maintain at least 6 feet of distance from each other. All businesses other than those deemed essential must close. Take-out and delivery of food and coffee are permitted.

Violating the order will be a misdemeanor, San Francisco Police Chief William Scott said.

Watch Breed's complete press conference below:

Essential activities, as defined by the city:
-Obtaining medicine, seeing a doctor, or other tasks essential for health and safety.
-Getting necessary services or supplies for your family or for household members, including those necessary to remain at home, including procuring pet food.
-Engaging in outdoor activity, such as walking, hiking or running if you stay at least 6 feet away from other people
-Performing work providing essential services.
-Carying for another family member in another household.
-Caring for elderly, minors, dependents, people who are disabled or are otherwise vulnerable
Essential businesses
-Health care operations, including home health workers. Pharmacies, health care supply stores and facilities
-Essential infrastructure, including contruction and public transportation and utilities
-Grocery stores, farmers markets, convenience stores, food banks
-Businesses that provide necessities for the economically disadvantaged and for shelters
-Gas stations and auto repair
-Banks
-Garbage collection
-Hardware stores, plumbers, electricians and other essential service providers
-Educational institutions for purposes of distance learning
-Laundromats, dry cleaners, and laundry service providers
-Shippers or delivers of groceries, food and good related to residencies
-Childcare Facilities

Last edited:

Zebra

Hello @Wally & Anyone Interested!

I live in one of the SIX counties that make up the greater San Francisco Bay Area. Today I received a call from my county's public health office, as well as a text message, informing me that I need to shelter in place from Midnight until April 7th.

Luckily I had already read about this shelter-in-place order in the paper this morning, or I probably would have been a bit freaked out by the call and text message. ;-)

Even though I am already housebound due to ME/CFS, this shelter-in-place order will cause me, and my family, some hardships, however ...

**This is the right thing to do, for the greater good.**

I only wish it were happening across the ENTIRE United States, as suggested by Dr. Anthony Fauci, Director of Allergy and Infectious Disease, at the National Institute of Health.

These are difficult times, and, in my humble opinion, the majority of Americans are not willing to sacrifice their own selfish needs or desires for the greater good.

I am glad this official shelter-in-place order was rolled out today to improve the careless behaviors of those self-centered individuals who had ZERO interest in the well-being of those with medical conditions and/or those over 65. It's as if, in their minds, we are expendable. (This all makes me so deeply sad.)

As mentioned above, I wish the Federal Government would roll out a 14 to 21 day shelter-in-place order across the entirety of the United States.

I wish everyone good physical and mental health during these uncertain times!

Wally

New Jersey activitates it’s National Guard and clarifies that it has not ordered a curfew between 8:00 pm and 5:00 am, as previously reported in media reports.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/16/us/nj-coronavirus-update/index.html
CNN)New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy on Monday urged residents to stay home after 8 p.m., activated the National Guard, and issued an executive order limiting some business operations to fight the spread of coronavirus.

"All non-essential and non-emergency travel in Jersey is strongly discouraged beginning tonight at 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. each day," Murphy said. "This will remain in effect for the foreseeable future. We want everybody to be home, not out."

On Monday afternoon, he clarified that this was not explicitly a curfew.

"This is not a curfew, but it is strongly recommended and travel is strongly discouraged. If you don't need to be on the roads, you should not be on the roads," he said. . .

frozenborderline

"

General

• Supportive care, including oxygen, mechanical ventilation if needed.
  • If epidemic widespread, public health officials may recommend those with minor symptoms to stay home and not seek care in health clinics or hospitals.
    • Limit medical care to those who are short of breath, have severe symptoms or who require oxygen and supportive care that is only available in a hospital.
Antivirals and immunomodulators

• No proven efficacy in humans as of March 14, 2020.
    • Chinese Guidelines for COVID-19 suggest using chloroquine, traditional Chinese medicines, and for anti-IL6R drug tocilizumab as an anti-inflammatory in patients with extensive lung disease/severe illness and elevated IL-6 levels.
  • A large number of antivirals and immunomodulators are being investigated.
    • Caution is advised as to whether any are effective or safe for COVID-19.
    • Types of drugs under investigation include antivirals (protease inhibitors, influenza drugs, nucleoside analogs) anti-inflammatories, surface protein antagonists such as lecithins.
    • Much like with influenza, antiviral drugs are likely to be most effective as a preventative or with administration early after the onset of symptoms.
  • Drugs currently under investigation[16]:
    • Remdesivir (Gilead; used to treat Ebola)
      • Currently under study in a trial in Wuhan; activity is seen in vitro with SARS-2-CoV, MERS-CoV (also including MERS-CoV primate studies).
      • Likely the most promising drug.
    • Chloroquine (or hydroxychloroquine) has been reported to have some efficacy in vivo and in COVID-19 pneumonia, the mechanism may be by interfering with cellular acidification in the phagolysosome.[8],[9]
    • ASC09/ritonavir, lopinavir/ritonavir, with or without umifenovir
    • ASC09/oseltamivir, ritonavir/oseltamivir, oseltamivir
    • Azvudine
    • Baloxavir marboxil/favipiravir and lopinavir/ritonavir in combination(s)
    • Camostat mesylate
    • Darunavir/cobicistat alone or with lopinavir/ritonavir and thymosin α1 in combination(s)
    • Interferon alfa-2b alone or in combination with lopinavir/ritonavir and ribavirin
    • Methylprednisolone
    • Camrelizumab and thymosin
    • Tocilizumab
Prevention

• No vaccine is currently available.
  • As a newly described virus, much remains to be learned.
    • Travel restrictions, quarantines, school closings, mass social distancing of uncertain long-term benefits with this viral infection and remain a source of considerable debate about effectiveness and costs among public health officials and politicians[3].
    • Difficulty sorting other causes of respiratory illness from the novel coronavirus, especially during influenza season.
  • Healthcare workers and health systems in the U.S.
    • Recommend following CDC Guidance for Risk Assessment and Public Health Management of SARS-CoV-2 (2019-nCoV).[17]
    • Likely that standard contact and respiratory droplet precautions are sufficient (as with SARS, MERS) which is the WHO recommendation; however, some debate using negative pressure rooms for extra safety but then this may divert from known needs such as TB or measles.
      • Current CDC recommendations are for aerosol (e.g., use of negative pressure isolation), but if resources strained, then pivot to droplet and standard precautions.
  • General measures recommended:
    • Avoid sick individuals.
    • Wash hands with soap and water x 20 seconds before eating, after cough/sneezing or bathroom visits.
    • Don’t touch the face, eyes, etc.
    • Stay home if ill."
    • Cover your sneeze.
    • Disinfect frequently touched household objects.
    • Current CDC recommendations do not suggest using a facemask for protection.

splusholia

Hi, @Littleantlers so I was wrong about the UK backtracking on the herd immunity plan. My mum got confused at the tv channel. It was actually a news health correspondent who was speaking, not a government minister. And they were saying that under the older plan, without the social distancing measures, it would have been too much of a burden. And now with social distancing measures, and isolation of elderly / vulnerable, number of deaths should be reduced quite a lot. So there’s no one from the government actually saying they’ve gone back on the herd immunity plan. Even though there have been changes to social distancing etc.

I thought they had backtracked too, but yeah - I think they are still planning some degree of herd immunity, but with vulnerable people shielded. I still think it sounds scary.

rainbowbluebells

I thought they had backtracked too, but yeah - I think they are still planning some degree of herd immunity, but with vulnerable people shielded. I still think it sounds scary.

Honestly I’m even more confused this morning.
Now I think they HAVE backtracked on herd immunity. After the buzzfeed article https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/coronavirus-uk-strategy-deaths

Right now I just want Johnson to get on with it and do things properly. Close schools. Start testing people and hospital workers and GPs. Actually enforce closures instead of “suggesting” meaning lots of people not getting sick pay, creative industries and small businesses go bankrupt as they can’t claim insurance etc. I’ve heard of people being forced to go into work as their job won’t let them stay home even if they’re sick now, because the govt haven’t even come up with a package of how employers will pay for this, and also no sick pay etc. Everyone’s confused.

Spain nationalises their private hospitals
And some other countries agree to pay people’s rent, gas; electricity!

Last edited:
Back