• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely eliminated my severe anxiety symptoms with three supplements!

Hello there
I have been taking CoQ10, with Omega 3 oils, plus a heaped teaspoon of tumeric twice a day, and 1x NAG 750gm twice a day...
And I am feeling HUGE benefits!! I read all of this and how you are being helped with anxiety, which i have, but wouldnt be my first priority to remedy, but i was interested in the inflammation side of it all and that the NAG works on the gut. I have been taking this regime for 7 weeks now and I am hugely happy over the results.

Now i am too scared to take a portion of this out. Because I dont wish to go back to where I was.

Thank you HIP for posting all of this.

Hip

Hi Cath

Great to hear that this anti-anxiety protocol has made a difference for you also.

I take it that you are an ME/CFS patient like me, and that anxiety is just one of your symptoms. I found that this anti-anxiety protocol also benefited my sound hypersensitivity symptoms to a degree, and the protocol reduced my "wired but tired" symptoms to an extent ("wired but tired" = mental fatigue, yet with sustained mental arousal). Sensory hypersensitivities and the "wired but tired" state are both are common symptoms in ME/CFS.

Hello HIP.
Yes I am ME/CFS..
my anxiety is not what i considered to be a biggie - but i never used to be anxious - and now i am. I was so interested in what you had done, because of the potential benefit to other areas. like the gut and inflammation - which i consider to be the integral disfunction parts in this whole thing.
I am definitely just feeling better in all areas. i feel less fatigued - that 'wired but tired' feeling- yes i have that but i am so exhausted i sleep ALOT. My body just wont shut down for REM sleep.
I get constant viral reactivation, this has lessened too - well - not lessened but the severity is dropping.
and definitely less hypersensitive, not gone - but deadened to an extent.

To be honest - its helped me so much, its changed my life. Its given me hope that I can have my life back.

HIP - can i take NAG long term? I am thinking for over a year or more.
I am thinking that this protocol, i need to keep taking for as long as i possibly can, to give my poor ole ANS a chance.
what do you think...

HIP - i also take 3mg lysine and olive extract daily. These supplements seem to now be assisting me, whereas before taking your protocol, i didnt feel they were

Hip

Hello HIP.
Yes I am ME/CFS..
my anxiety is not what i considered to be a biggie - but i never used to be anxious - and now i am. I was so interested in what you had done, because of the potential benefit to other areas. like the gut and inflammation - which i consider to be the integral disfunction parts in this whole thing.

Yes, I agree. I think that brain inflammation may be driving many ME/CFS symptoms, as well as causing anxiety disorder, so lowering brain inflammation will help. Also, new research shows that even infection and inflammation in the peripheries of the body (like in the gut) can actually ramp up inflammation in the brain and central nervous system, so to treat brain inflammation, you also need to address inflammation in the gut (by using prebiotics and probiotics, for example, which help reduce gut inflammation).

I am definitely just feeling better in all areas. i feel less fatigued - that 'wired but tired' feeling- yes i have that but i am so exhausted i sleep ALOT. My body just wont shut down for REM sleep.
I get constant viral reactivation, this has lessened too - well - not lessened but the severity is dropping.
and definitely less hypersensitive, not gone - but deadened to an extent.

To be honest - its helped me so much, its changed my life. Its given me hope that I can have my life back.

That's really great Cath. Do keep us informed on your progress. You might find further improvements over the next few months. I found that although the benefits kick in within hours of taking these supplements (which is pretty fast), there are also some further benefits that slowly accrue after many months of taking them.

HIP - can i take NAG long term? I am thinking for over a year or more.
I am thinking that this protocol, i need to keep taking for as long as i possibly can, to give my poor ole ANS a chance.
what do you think...

I have read that N-acetylglucosamine is an extremely safe, extremely non-toxic supplement. This study on rats showed that you can take a huge dose without problem (the equivalent of 160 grams of NAG a day for a human!).

I have been taking around 1 to 2 grams of NAG daily for 10 months now, without problem. Along with the other supplements detailed in this thread, NAG kept my anxiety symptoms at bay (and my anxiety symptoms were so bad, so unbelievably dire, that I can truly say that these supplements rescued me from hell!).

I find these supplements are just as effective now as the were originally; so they do keep woking. Though if I stop taking them, the anxiety starts to creep back after a day or two.

thanks for replying HIP. you have been most helpful, and i appreciate it. Thats good news on the NAG, because i am going to continue this regime for some time.

YES - i too find an almost instant response after taking your recommended protocol. i perhaps didnt mention that, so thought i should.

I am really looking forward to what this protocol will bring me in the future. And i really do thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this.
Best regards to you
Cath

PS - i shall look further into gut inflammation - because what you wrote is exactly what i think too.
This is why i was so interested in NAG. There is research to say it supports/promotes healing with leaky gut

at last i received inositol powder from U.S ,flaxseed i have,turmeric i have,well flax seed i am already taking in powder form,bu.t as suggested by hip i will take it in oil form,only one doubt i have together taking these three supplements will not create any kind of problem ?,i have planned to take 6 gm flax seed powder,12 gm ( 2 tea spoon ) inositol powder,2 gm turmeric powder

ahmo

Yes, I agree. I think that brain inflammation may be driving many ME/CFS symptoms, as well as causing anxiety disorder, so lowering brain inflammation will help. Also, new research shows that even infection and inflammation in the peripheries of the body (like in the gut) can actually ramp up inflammation in the brain and central nervous system, so to treat brain inflammation, you also need to address inflammation in the gut (by using prebiotics and probiotics, for example, which help reduce gut inflammation).

I came to this thread looking for inositol info. I had severe anxiety and over-active autonomic system 2011. My first relief was from eliminating gluten and dairy. I've found help with a variety of supps, especially TMG. Yesterday I came across this article re metal toxicity. The description of copper related symptoms covers the range of problems I experienced. I'm now gently detoxxing metals, have tested high for copper and aluminum. I was amazed by these copper effects, as this alone would have accounted for my experience. However, I have other things also needing correction, it isn't copper alone. Maybe this info will be useful for someone else.
http://www.westonaprice.org/mentalemotional-health/metals-and-the-mind

yesterday night i have taken 2 tea spoon inositol with flaxseed and turmeric at bed time,today at 11 am im feeling a sense of comfort with my racing mind,feeling sleepy,but it might be due late sleep in night,if it will work like this,it might be turning phase of my life,thanks to all members who r posting their experiences on this thread and doing gr8 job for mankind.

i haven taken two dose of 12 gm inositol,already taking 150 mg fluvoxamine and 150 mg venalfaxine,1.5 mg clonazapam,today when i wake up i found my both the ears choked,1 is still chocked at 1 pm ( around 50-60 % hear loss),is it the side effect of INOSITOL,should i lower the dose.

High dose inositol seems extremely well tolerated, and actually does useful things in the body, like protect the liver from fat accumulation.

Note that when you are on a high dose inositol protocol, don't even think about buying inositol in tablets or capsules, else you will empty your bank account faster than an Italian with a credit card in a brothel (Italian genes allow me to make such non-PC comments). You need to buy inositol powder in bulk, which is much cheaper. You often get good bulk inositol deals on eBay. You can usually get a kilo for less than $50. The daily inositol dose is anywhere from one heaped teaspoon (6 grams) to three heaped teaspoons (18 grams). The powder flavor is quite nice, with a mildly sweet taste.

High dose inositol is a known treatment for anxiety, panic disorder, depression and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). You can read more about its psychotropic benefits here.

Note that I found the effects of high dose inositol take a good 12 hours to kick in, so you won't feel the benefits until the next day. There are no habituation or tolerance problems: you can stop inositol any time without any negative effects.
can we take inositol along with h anti-depressants or SSRI like fluvoxamine and venlafexine.

clive powney

Is there anywhere to swap/trade supplements on PR(not presciption meds)? I am interested in trying the 3 supplements mentioned but it only adds to the 000's I have already spent over the years and this must be the same for everyone.

Hip

Is there anywhere to swap/trade supplements on PR(not presciption meds)? I am interested in trying the 3 supplements mentioned but it only adds to the 000's I have already spent over the years and this must be the same for everyone.

Clive, perhaps you can team up with others in the UK that want to try these supplements. I suggest trying N-acetylglucosamine (NAG) first, as this is this most potent. If you get a few people interested, you could buy one jar between you, and share the capsules. You can buy Jarrow N-acetylglucosamine 750 mg x 120 capsules for less than £20 on eBay.

If people are interested in sharing some NAG, perhaps they could private message you.

One other tip: if you have a local Asian (Indian) shop, they usually sell a large bag of turmeric powder for around £1. Supermarkets also sell small jars of turmeric for a similar price.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
Haven't got time to read the whole thread, so don't know if anyone else has mentioned these things, but I have been giving NAG to one of my cats for years - for her urinary tract! It's sold as Cystease (there is a more expensive version called Cystaid), but the dose is only 125mg.

The other thing is that I reduced my lifelong anxiety dramatically with a gluten-free low carb-diet, supplemented with l-glutamine and Healthspan's Lipo-Carn which is alpha lipoic acid and acetyl-l-carnitine, plus a bone mineral supplement.

I was having flax oil for a while as well but have changed to DHA/EPA in case I don't convert it very well.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
D'oh - just seen that I posted most of this info on the previous page! Still getting to grips with all the wonderful features of this site...

clive powney

Clive, perhaps you can team up with others in the UK that want to try these supplements. I suggest trying N-acetylglucosamine (NAG) first, as this is this most potent. If you get a few people interested, you could buy one jar between you, and share the capsules. You can buy Jarrow N-acetylglucosamine 750 mg x 120 capsules for less than £20 on eBay.

If people are interested in sharing some NAG, perhaps they could private message you.

One other tip: if you have a local Asian (Indian) shop, they usually sell a large bag of turmeric powder for around £1. Supermarkets also sell small jars of turmeric for a similar price.
Thanks hip I will be looking into this quite soon as it is well worth a punt.

hip here i will share being an indian ,that it will be better if turmeric is taken in form of dry rhizome,it is also selled in asian stores specially in india called as turmeric-sabut or haldi-sabut,more better will be buy it in form of root rhizome and then boil at home,expose it to sun then crushed it in mixer grinder,this is because in asia there are lot of chemicals and dye which are of same colour are mixed with turmeric and traders and shop keepers are making profit.