• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coffee Enemas!!

barbc56

This article by someone who isn't against alternative medicine.

One other point. If the science was there, and I mean robust studies that are not cherrypicked which may or may not pertain to coffee enemas, then I would be all for it.

I am burned out with this thread and it's time to get my afternoon fix of caffeine. Orally of course.

lansbergen

For me the most significant feature of the "choline flu" was the green watery poo. That was the weirdest thing.

I did not have that but in the animals it always started with a dry cough and a green haze over the feaces. That were the sighns it was time to give them the immune modulator. The sooner I started the better the outcome.

The feaces also looked like fat was not enough digested.

Valentijn

But you and Val and others who sling about terms like "quacky bullshit" are the ones coming into these alternative topics and disrepecting them with terms like "quacky bullshit".
Excuse me? Please stop disparaging everyone who disagrees with you by attributing words to them which they never said.

And it makes for a very poor and unconvincing alternative to responding to the actual arguments and questioned raised, even when such words were used.

Undisclosed

So we're on the same page about most things. :thumbsup:

However, I would like to opine before I bow out completely that I am not the one going into threads that discuss this or that "science-based" study and calling it "quacky bullshit". If I see something in a "science-based" thread that I don't agree with, I just move on. I try to respect the right of others to discuss information I don't agree with, unmolested.

But you and Val and others who sling about terms like "quacky bullshit" are the ones coming into these alternative topics and disrepecting them with terms like "quacky bullshit". So since you speak of scapegoating, as you imagine I scapegoat you out of my "hatred" for science-based therapies, I hafta ask...who is really doing the scapegoating out of hatred of subject matter here? Me, who is simply stepping into an argument in defense of a topic I agree with, or you, who is coming into a topic only to disrespect it?

In my own individual opinion, stating that coffee enemas cure cancer is:

1. 'quacky' -- " Fraudulent; characterised by or using the methods of quackery."

2. 'bullshit' -- "nonsense, lies, or exaggeration."

What is the problem with asking questions related to an obviously fraudulent, dangerous, and untested protocol. That is what I did and not one person could come up with any evidence that coffee enemas cure cancer. So you don't like my description, well it's only a description and it a description of the therapy not anything more. It isn't personal. You actually aren't respecting the rights of those who don't agree the coffee enemas are a beneficial treatment and capable of curing cancer. This forum is not just for agreeing with alternative therapies, it's for all kind of discussions about them - the good, bad, and the ugly. Many alternatives treatments mentioned on this forum seem to be very positive and useful. Some seem to demand that anybody with any kind of disagreement related to alternative therapies should just piss off. It's not helpful to only allow agreement and disallow any other comments that might add to knowledge or give the full picture. A lot of what I have said on this thread was twisted in to meaning I never had.

I think if you want to continue this conversation, a PM would be better because this thread is being taken vastly off-topic.

All opionions about Alternative Therapies are welcome in this forum.

whodathunkit

A lot of what I have said on this thread was twisted in to meaning I never had.
Then you should probably be more precise with your words. If you use terms like "quacky bullshit" and expect people not to take umbrage despite your avowed benign and benevolent intent, I gently suggest to you that that is not a realistic expectation. Might want to revisit it and use terms that are more in line with what you're really trying to say. I've actually been told that a time or two by a moderator or two at a forum or two, in my day.

Anyway, I'm done here. No PM's...why on earth should we do that?

Off to buy some coffee and a new enema bag. Seems so sad that people who could probably use an enema are the most are the ones unwilling to try them, but that's just my $0.02.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

The only one that is OK for me is noopept; this gives me a bit of cognitive boost, but without the anhedonia payback.
Hip, I missed this earlier. Kind of OT, but just a few brief questions.

How often do you use the Noopept? Do you need anything else to synergize with it? I understand about the big stack that you avoid because of sides, but just wondering about some other additional micronutrient or two, that wouldn't bring on an ACh storm but would provide a boost?

Are you worried about any long-term effects from its use? I still have at least 10g of it, but am kind of afraid to use it since it's a "failed" pharmaeceutical anti-depressant and SSRI's had horrible long-term effects on my biochemistry. Do you think it provides any longer-lasting benefits. I remember it was also researched as an Alzheimer's therapy but IIRC it didn't pan out. Hard to recall exactly, though.

Hip

How often do you use the Noopept? Do you need anything else to synergize with it?

I only use noopept for short periods, usually a few days to a week. I take 30 mg sublingually or intranasally, always with 500 mg of oral choline bitartrate, as I read noopept alone can give you a headache. I find it has a mood boost as well as a cognitive boost, but there can also be a depression comedown in mood when you stop. But provided you don't go over 30 mg, I read the comedown is always minimal or non-existent. Most of the time I get no comedown when I stop.

For me, the cognitive enhance of noopept is no way as strong as good old piracetam, but I usually avoid that for reasons explained. The nootropic that works the best for me is aniracetam, which is another of the racetam class drugs. This I find actually counters my emotional flatness symptoms, and boosts emotions, in addition to providing a cognitive boost.

But now because of the incredibly stupid new UK law: the Psychoactive Substances Act, which has placed a blanket ban on all psychoactive substances (apart from alcohol, tobacco and caffeine, and prescription psychoactive drugs like antidepressants), it is illegal to sell nootropic drugs in the UK. The Act was intended to target "legal highs," but bluntly hits every substance that has an effect on the mind.

For British citizens, there is this petition you can sign urging the government to move nootropic drugs into the whitelist of allowed drugs of the Psychoactive Substances Act.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

I take 30 mg sublingually or intranasally,
Ahhhh, snorting it! Really? That's kind of appealing to me. I haven't snorted anything in a really, really long time. Sometimes I miss that. :p

Seriously, thanks for letting me know your experiences with it. From the sound of it, it sounds like something I should probably leave alone. I'm not willing to experience any possible comedown in mood, especially with a synthetic I don't understand the mechanism of how it works. With my luck I would be one of the minority that had problems with that. I got my stash from Peak Nootropics...PM me if you'd like me to send it to you. Dunno about any customs problems but we could discuss that in the PM.

The Act was intended to target "legal highs," but bluntly hits every substance that has an effect on the mind.
You know, what gets me most is that IME the bluenoses supporting stuff like this don't care so much about people's health as they do about the fact that some people get high from it and they can't control that. Anybody else that could get good out of any given substance can go to hell because :nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous::nervous: the dangerous, subversive hedonists are abusing it, and anything that could be dangerous or subversive must be controlled at all costs. :rolleyes: God forbid they loosen up long enough to let the stick fall out and have a good time. </rant>

helen1

Just catching up with this thread that I've read with interest. I agree so much with @whodathunkit about not waiting around for so-called evidence-based scientific studies before trying anything. I've been helped by 3 treatments so far that have none of those studies and so glad I tried them. Of course I read up on what was available beforehand and weighed the risks as much as possible.

The 3 are coffee enemas, saunas with cold water therapy and methylation. I've been doing CEs regularly for 2 years. They've helped me be able to function well for several hours a day on days that I do them. My mind is clear, my mood is better, I have more energy, I feel normal, often great actually, for several hours and I have no increase in PEM. Why would I stop doing them?

I'm like the others, I'm very sensitive to and get jittery on oral coffee, I get relaxed from a CE. I think the theory is the caffeine stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system which is relaxing.

Many people have benefited from CEs to judge by anecdotes like mine on various forums and FB groups. I do understand the problems with anecdotes but I think they're worth paying attention to.

Hip

I've been doing CEs regularly for 2 years. They've helped me be able to function well for several hours a day on days that I do them. My mind is clear, my mood is better, I have more energy, I feel normal, often great actually, for several hours and I have no increase in PEM. Why would I stop doing them?

I'm like the others, I'm very sensitive to and get jittery on oral coffee, I get relaxed from a CE. I think the theory is the caffeine stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system which is relaxing.

Very interesting that you also confirm the CE is relaxing rather than stimulating.

This 2013 study on the effects of coffee enemas in healthy people found that a lot less caffeine is absorbed in a coffee enema compared to oral consumption of coffee (in part because the enema is only held in for 10 minutes or so). This could be one of the explanations for the lack of a stimulatory effect from coffee enemas.

I also came across this 2012 study, which found:
that either single or multiple administrations of the coffee enema or orally consumed coffee doses seemed not to produce any beneficial effects to enhance serum glutathione levels

helen1

Yeah, not sure what to make of that. Wish someone would do the same study to see if it replicates or not. The CE studies on rodents show huge increases in glutathione, but as we know animal studies are only sometimes relevant to humans.

ahmo

Coffee enemas have been core to my 4 years of healing. My liver was always my weak point. I no longer need to see an acupuncturist to help me. I feel confident in my detox efforts. It's a pity to be so disparaging of methods that are helpful for some.

At least this thread has not been disappeared, as some have. A recent thread on turpentine was disappeared. When I followed up the references, I found it has nothing to do w/ what we know as turpentine. Rather, it's pine oil. I've now been using it in tiny doses, it's been an excellent Candida buster. But that info is now unavailable to anyone else, because it didn't conform to some norm. a pity.

Last edited:

Hip

The CE studies on rodents show huge increases in glutathione, but as we know animal studies are only sometimes relevant to humans.

I think the coffee enema rodent study was on the enzyme glutathione S-transferase (GST), rather than glutathione. I am not sure on the biochemical link between GST and glutathione.

whodathunkit

A recent thread on turpentine
Ahhh, turpentine! Another ostensibly "quacky" treatment with a lot of anecdotally reported benefits. That's also on my list of things to try. I have a bottle o' sweet Georgia pine on the way even as I type this. :D Which, of course, I will swill it with reckless abandon just like I did the demon iodine because that's what people like me do. People be dyin' all over from i-o-diiinnnne, CE's, and good ol' pine oil! ;) :rolleyes:

Seriously, here's a nice paper on it from 2009 from the Journal of Occupational Medicine and Environmental Health:

http://oneradionetwork.com/wp-content/uploads/Turpentine-PDF.pdf

Many people have benefited from CEs to judge by anecdotes like mine on various forums and FB groups. I do understand the problems with anecdotes but I think they're worth paying attention to.
Exactly. The cumulative value of the experiences of a group of humans *should* be considered at least as valuable as data cribbed off of rats. Unless one considers humans in general as not worth listening to, or too prone to flights of fancy or delusion to be taken seriously, in which case by all means stick with the rats.

I'll be trying CE's next week, probably. If I notice any benefits or sides, I'll report back.

helen1

I think the coffee enema rodent study was on the enzyme glutathione S-transferase (GST), rather than glutathione. I am not sure on the biochemical link between GST and glutathione.
Yes, you're right it was the GST enzyme.

Edit: The link between GST enzymes and glutathione: GSTs catalyse the conjugation of GSH — via a sulfhydryl group — to electrophilic centers on a wide variety of substrates in order to make the compounds more water-soluble.[7][8] This activity detoxifies endogenous compounds such as peroxidised lipids and enables the breakdown of xenobiotics.

Last edited:

helen1

Coffee enemas have been core to my 4 years of healing. My liver was always my weak point. I no longer need to see an acupuncturist to help me. I feel confident in my detox efforts. It's a pity to be so disparaging of methods that are helpful for some.

I agree @ahmo.The disparagement is especially puzzling because there's such a lack of good science for us that to me it only makes sense to look into so-called alternative treatments if we badly want to get well. It seems some people are okay with waiting for a for sure scientific cure but why do some feel compelled to put down those of us who aren't willing to wait?

At least this thread has not been disappeared, as some have. A recent thread on turpentine was disappeared. When I followed up the references, I found it has nothing to do w/ what we know as turpentine. Rather, it's pine oil. I've now been using it in tiny doses, it's been an excellent Candida buster. But that info is now unavailable to anyone else, because it didn't conform to some norm. a pity.

I looked into pine oil too after reading that thread and I'm planning on trying it. I wonder which other threads have disappeared before I got a chance to read them and maybe look into what was proposed?

Valentijn

The various glutathione transferases are each responsible for hooking up glutathione with a specific subgroup of the molecules (toxins) which gluthatione can neutralize.