• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B2 I love you!

brenda

Asklipia

"if I understand it right, this leaves us with a protocol which would try to reestablish the methylation cycle by taking B2 and manganese for a while. Hoping for the best, since if the methylation cycle is restored, the B12 deficiency and other deficiencies might correct themselves after a while.
Am I correct?"

The reason for taking b2 and manganese is rather, to help the cells produce more ATP. Once there is more energy being produced, the body can start to bring itself into balance when it is given further nutrients it is short of, developing dependence on food rather than supplements and the methylation cycle will sort itself out as everythng else will. The basic problem is that not enough attention has been paid to the role b2 has and how easy it is depleted.

"The crash and detox effects than happen with mb12 and metafolin (I think someone has reported that last one alone?), defined by Freddd as paradoxical folate deficiency would be avoided. Is that the aim of not taking methyl donors?"

I think the idea is that taking methyl donors is not required as the body makes itself the amount it needs once that the more basic deficiencies are sorted out

"However I find that taking B2 and manganese does bring me that same crash and detox after a few days. Is this a proof that the methylation cycle is working again? Going into overdrive maybe? Sorry I am not too clear about all this."

It might be. I am not sure how Christine will advise people who have these crashes. Maybe manganese needs to be up first. Some may have to wait till her paper is out as I am not sure she is taking on new clients as for now.

"I suppose the proof is in the pudding. Are any of the people on the B2-manganese/methyl donor avoidance people getting any better after x days of that protocol?"

I was good at first then have bad days and then really good days.

"I am getting better in some respects after 3 weeks on B2 (12.5 to 25 mg/day) and manganese (10 mg every other day). More energy, deeper breath, more dreams but awful. Some things are getting worse: sleep agitated and shorter, hearing loss, vague nausea sometimes, irritation of the eyes and joints.
Maybe three weeks is not much, but I was hoping for more!"

I am getting dream recall. Are you taking two apples a day for bile? Are you on b12? Are you taking in too much folic acid? Your problems may be due to iron release. I know how you feel - on bad days I am very frustrated.

chilove

Hey guys,

I just started Christine's protocol yesterday. Just started on the manganese. I'm surprised that I'm already feeling a big difference in mental clarity. I feel a lot sharper.

I'll report on more changes as I note them.

Have a great day!

Audrey

gu3vara

Hey guys,

I just started Christine's protocol yesterday. Just started on the manganese. I'm surprised that I'm already feeling a big difference in mental clarity. I feel a lot sharper.

Have a great day!

Audrey

Good for you!

I aslo had an increase in clarity at first, then I started herxing(?) badly, have to take it slowly.

What form manganese are you using? Many people take the wateroz manganese liquid form for best absorption. I'm thinking of switching to that.

hixxy

Hey guys,

Have a great day!

Audrey

I had this same effect a couple of years ago on manganese supplementation. I think you'll find it comes from boosted dopamine and/or norepinephrine. Magnanese is a cofactor for their synthesis.

hixxy

How are you all continuing to maintain contact with Christine?
I'm guessing she continues to monitor your health?
Didn't someone end up setting up some other forum for this?

Are there any people doing this b2/maganese that have pyroluria? I suspect manganese alone for a pyroluric like myself would be devestating.

I'm certainly intrigued to try B2 supplementation again (I took 30mg R5P tid for 6 months last year with very little improvement), was also taking 7.5mg of manganese in picolinate form, but obviously not without removing other supplemental nutrients. This was under a doctors directions.

I can't see the benefit in removing all other supplements in someone with significant malabsorption like myself.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Christine thinks that we should not be using methyl doners. So after having problems after a good start, I stopped the m12 and started hydroxyb12 and have some adb12 coming to see which one works best. I had just educated myself on Freddd`s and rich`s protocols when I decided to go with Christine so I have had to rethink everything.
After reading posts by Annesse I will start on sauerkraut. At last I feel I am really getting somewhere.
I had also just educated myself an Fredd's and Rich's protocols and an now rethinking everything. I did not know about the methyl donors. I have cut back to one 1000 mcg methylB12, but I need that to help me get awake in the morning. I had forgotten that I had some adenosylB12. I started it today.

Where are Annesse's posts about sauerkraut? I missed that.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Thank you for your answer brenda.
However I find that taking B2 and manganese does bring me that same crash and detox after a few days. Is this a proof that the methylation cycle is working again? Going into overdrive maybe? Sorry I am not too clear about all this.
As to taking the B2 before meals, I thought it could be during and after meals too, since the absorption of riboflavin is enhanced by bile, so the presence of a bile producing meal is a help.
I feel like we are the dimly sighted leading the dimly sighted here. I will be glad when Christine is available again. (If I would get my hair sample in, she might have more to tell me.)

Christine told me to watch for signs of B12 deficiency (light urine, sore mouth and throat, low energy) within days. At that point I was to begin taking B12. She did not specify which type. She also said to watch for signs of high sodium (sore popping joints).

She also told me to back off on the B2, B1, and Manganese doses for a day if I started to feel bad. She said that a fast detox could do more damage that good.

Christine told me to take the B2 with food that contains fat and a bit of calcium, such as dairy. She suggested cheddar crackers. She told me to take the manganese on an empty stomach, at least hour before a meal and 2 hours after.

I usually take the Mn before a meal and the B2 (and B1) with the meal. My meals always contain some fat. If there is not calcium, I eat a small piece of cheese with the B2. I have wondered if I am supposed to take the B2 with that much food, so am glad to see your information about bile.

ETA: I am still slowly working the doses up. I think I have a little more energy and/or stamina. My digestive system is definitely calmer (which is not something Christine said would happen).

brenda

Indeed Little Bluestem we are the dimly sighted leading the dimly sighted and I must point out that I am giving my thoughts which may/may not be the thoughts of Christine - there is a good chance of foggy brain thinking here.

What I really like about following this method is, that you learn how nutrients are affecting your body and how even very small amounts can change things within one day or even sooner. My way of thinking in the past, was to read up that such and such a vitamin etc was helpful with PWC, read up about it on iherb, and then take the amount it said on the bottle. I am shocked now at this!

I assumed that trial and error was the only way to go seeing as I had no medical help and a went through quite a lot of things which were not really showing signs of helping me, and if in the meantime I did not react badly, I continued with them hoping that maybe they were helping. With Christine`s method, I am learning to know exactly what my body needs at any given time and can see that once I become proficient, I will be able to manage it in the main.

Yes she is in contact with those who are part of the trial by email. It is not a good idea imo for anyone to try this until they can learn more from Christine and I suggest that meanwhile they look to their diet to improve their intake of b2 and manganese.

Hanna

Little Bluestem, Christine told me to stop completeley the adb12 (didn't explain the reason), but that was clear. She advised to take "plain" B12 instead of mb12. Don't know if this suggestion is for everyone though...

Hanna

"Christine told me to take the B2 with food that contains fat and a bit of calcium, such as dairy. She suggested cheddar crackers. She told me to take the manganese on an empty stomach, at least hour before a meal and 2 hours after."
Thanks Little Bluestem, that's helpful.

brenda

Annesse

I do highly recommend sauerkraut. My recommendation is based on all of the posts I have made that point to the inability to digest proteins as the causitive factor of ME/CFS.

post 102 Lack of proteases (pancreatic enzymes) and the symptoms of CFS - Symptoms, Doctors and Diagnostics

I think Annesse talked a lot of sense - is she gone?

chilove

Hey guys,

I am using the Water Oz. I'm tolerating it just fine so far three days in. I've seen even more improvements in clarity and focus.

Blessings,

Audrey

chilove

Little Bluestem, Christine told me to stop completeley the adb12 (didn't explain the reason), but that was clear. She advised to take "plain" B12 instead of mb12. Don't know if this suggestion is for everyone though...

She advised the same for me.

richvank

Hi, Hanna and chilove.

By "plain" B12, I hope she meant hydroxocobalamin, not cyanocobalamin. The latter, taken in large dosage, puts a lot of cyanide into the body, and I have encountered one case in which the person developed cyanide toxicity, which is dangerous.

Best regards,

Rich

dmholmes

Hi, Hanna and chilove.

By "plain" B12, I hope she meant hydroxocobalamin, not cyanocobalamin. The latter, taken in large dosage, puts a lot of cyanide into the body, and I have encountered one case in which the person developed cyanide toxicity, which is dangerous.

Best regards,

Rich

Hi Rich,

She does mean cyanocobalamin, but we're talking dosages like 62.5 mcg a few times a day.

Asklipia

Hi Hanna and chilove,
Does she consider adb12 a methyl donor? Is that why she wants you to stop it?
"plain B12 instead of mb12 : does she equate mb12 with adb12? I am not sure I understand.

Hi guys, my first post.

I read some of this information on another forum. I was googling
manganese and found autismweb. I think ''Dog Lover'' on that site
is Christine from this site.

For years I had bile deficiency, bilirubin too high, cfs, huge copper/mercury
issues. Tried hormones, chelation, vitamins, minerals, proteins, herbs etc...
All helped a tiny bit, nothing substantially.

I tried manganese and choline and immediately noticed my stools improving, more
brown, less fatty(sorry too much info). I also noticed my blood clotting improving
and my skin getting better. Easier to build muscle first week, but then the effects
wore off. Like something else was being depleted. So I stopped using both.
I was using about 1000mg choline and 20mg of manganese. I hadn't read anything
about the b2 before. So I haven't tried that.

I started chromium about 2 weeks ago. After a few days I started feeling better
quite a bit. Then I noticed my stools got very pale and fatty(sorry again). So after
a little bit of research it seems that chromium and manganese are antagonistic
or something. Yesterday I started manganese again and I felt improvement again
as my liver area felt more relaxed.

Hoping Christine can commen't on the relation between chromium and manganese.
I think I will also add the B2.

Keep the good information coming.