• Phoenix Rising needs funds to operate: please consider donating to support PR

B2 I love you!

Learner1

Well, I am celiac, but on a GF diet for 10 years. Nothing genetic has popped up and I wasn't always this short of B2. I've been detoxing pretty thoroughly for 8 years and I'm less toxic now than at any time in the past but more B2 deficient. No valproic acid, but it does bring up the question if done drug I'm taking sapping it...

I'll look into fatty acid oxidation, could be a possibility. My mitos are less than spunky.

Thanks for the guide - nice presentation! I hadn't seen that particular one before.;)

stridor

@Learner1
I have always had a hard issue absorbing certain things in including B2. The immunologist said that I am likely celiac and that I have damaged my gut by not being diagnosed earlier in life. I went on injectable for a couple of years but now take around 400mg a day but could likely take less if I divided the dosing better. In 2011 and 2012, twice I developed the symptoms including swollen/spit tongue, rashes on face and privates, cracks at corners of mouth and enlarged capillaries in my eyes.

Learner1

@Learner1
I have always had a hard issue absorbing certain things in including B2. The immunologist said that I am likely celiac and that I have damaged my gut by not being diagnosed earlier in life. I went on injectable for a couple of years but now take around 400mg a day but could likely take less if I divided the dosing better. In 2011 and 2012, twice I developed the symptoms including swollen/spit tongue, rashes on face and privates, cracks at corners of mouth and enlarged capillaries in my eyes.
Were those symptoms deficiency or toxicity?

Are you feeling the 400mg is working well? Thanks.

stridor

@Learner1
Those are the symptoms of deficiency. It was exacerbated by taking B12 which I was also short on. Things tried to fire up and it depleted limited B2 stores - which is used in energy production. Anyway, there are signs of toxicity that you can google but they are not common. The gut has limitations when it comes to absorption. I am taking enough and likely could cut back a bit. A change in urine colour signals there is more than enough.

There is a theory that a B2 deficiency underpins CFS. Not sure about that but it kind of fits with me. Another thing to watch for is that B2 is needed for iron absorption. My ferritin level was 9.

Learner1

I have hemachromatosis, so absorbing iron is not a plus.:(

Yes, I've read the gut can only absorb so much, something small like 25mg, but I've seen numbers move with far more than that. But that's why I divided up the dose.

As for the colored urine, my urine is plenty yellow but both the OAT and NutrEval show I'm deficient, with high sarcosine and glutaric acid, so I'm skeptical that I have more than enough, and it's yellow if I get it IV or oral so it's not just my gut.

B2 is used as FAD in complex II. It's also a cofactor for methylation.

So, I guess the question is, why isn't it getting where it needs to go, and then showing deficiency in so many ways? Or, am I just frantically blowing through it? I'm averaging over 5 miles a day walking these days and do a lot of methylating to try to make glutathione.

Do you have any further explanation than malabsorption?

Thanks.

Hi! Does one of you know how can i contact dog person? I need manganese so much but it gave me liver pain when i take it like cholestasis

Does anyone have any distinct symptoms that show a manganese deficiency? How do people know what dosage to take?

Thanks
Manganese deficiencies symptoms have been harder for me to discern than other nutrients, but I think for me I found that my blood sugar would fluctuate to an uncomfortable degree, especially on the low side. This isn't something I can state with a large degree of confidence though.