• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B-12 - The Hidden Story

Methyl90

@Sledgehammer @Learner1

I state that I have been coming for years (too many) with severe methylation deficiencies so take it all with a grain of salt. (it is said here in Italy, I hope it is translated well :))

I've only been experimenting with many things for a few months, with low dosages a little at a time.

Turmeric ruined my sleep, with nightmares and paranoia. I suspect it is involved in neurotransmitter degradation perhaps in the MAO A / B pathway?

I wanted to ask you how the actual absorption of B12 is calculated.

I read that sublingual 1mg leads to 150-250mcg in serum.

So should we calculate about 1/4?

Learner1

@Methyl90 The best way I know you solve methylation issues is to be tested to see what's deficient or replete. There are 3 processes that must work properly in the intestines for B12 to be absorbed, then it depends on your genes for what happens to it in your body and environmental factors, such as toxicity, infections, mitochondrial status. Therefore, I'm not sure that calculating one's absorption rate is a practical thing to do.

Turmeric is a root and contains oxalates which may cause symptoms. Curcumin is the family of active chemicals in turmeric that is the useful part and does not contain oxalates.

Methyl90

@Methyl90 The best way I know you solve methylation issues is to be tested to see what's deficient or replete. There are 3 processes that must work properly in the intestines for B12 to be absorbed, then it depends on your genes for what happens to it in your body and environmental factors, such as toxicity, infections, mitochondrial status. Therefore, I'm not sure that calculating one's absorption rate is a practical thing to do.

Turmeric is a root and contains oxalates which may cause symptoms. Curcumin is the family of active chemicals in turmeric that is the useful part and does not contain oxalates.

But sublingual absorption does not go through the intestine

Learner1

Methyl90

I started this week with 2500mcg Jarrow tablets.

If I remember correctly Fred indicates a protocol with short dosage titration then divide the tablet into 4 parts until you get to 8 parts then two tablets (but I guess you are referring to those of 5000mcg?) For a total of 10000mcg or 10mg.

I started with 600mcg until today where I will probably use a 2500mcg tablet in 3/4 doses.

Sublingual I don't even reach 30 minutes by committing myself, I don't know how it can reach 2 hours, while under the upper lip I arrive at two hours but I realized that a part of it remains under there.

I'm probably still a beginner and I'm doing something wrong.

Yesterday I had severe depression after an hour, I assume you lower both serotonin and dopamine which have been kept high for many years having definitely had B12 deficiency along with constant adrenaline rushes.

How long does it take to start inserting methylfolate? @Learner1

I am not taking the multivitamin but I consume liver 2-3 times a week, in total 200-300gr, I hope it helps. For the rest I try to focus on the diet avoiding NAC, Glutathione and folic acid.

Learner1

I do not recommend freddd's protocol unless you have freddd's genes - he seems to have a very unique set of genes that makes things work differently for him.

And, unfortunately, I don't know what dose you'd need as I'm not s doctor, haven't seen your land and know nothing about your medical history.

In the absence of any data, it might be prudent to take a balanced combination of nutrients and not extremely high doses. I only shared my dose to contrast with the products you asked about.

You might look into Richvank's Simplified Methylation Protocol or a product like Thorne Research MethylGuard Plus along with some magnesium and then add something like Life Extension Mega Benfotiamine and Thorne Research Molybdenum Picolinate to that.

Methyl90

Personally, having a turbulent past as symptoms and big reactions I can tell you that the product you mentioned by Thorne sent me to the emergency room due to an extreme reaction that I could not control ... I still did not know the Forum and only after I I realized it was probably a good thing because I was opening channels that have been closed for a lifetime, or they were symptoms of arousal toxicity I can't be sure.

Among other things I discovered that creatine deficiency is related to a lack of language, expression, logic and thought ... if I took creatine alone I created even more problems while now with B12 I am solving a lot.

Even Benfotiamine at 300mg made me feel very ill for days opening the way to Transulfuration.

Have any of you had or still have skeletal "malformations" / structural misalignments present from birth? can it be related to vitamin B12 deficiency which has persisted for many years or even worse from birth? I have fixed many things with the synergistic help of physiotherapist and chiropractor but many things are structural and it seems difficult to change them even with manual therapy, mobility and stretching. Basically in my case I developed the whole left side more while the right side was full of tension and stiffness. Furthermore, the left side of the body appears to have a longer meridian that runs from the left finger of the hand to that of the foot. I was wondering if all of these defects may be related to folate / b12 neural tube.

Learner1

It sounds like you have a very individual situation. I am not a fan of just taking supplements I read about, I think I should, or what someone else is taking. That is a recipe for disaster as you've already found.

It would be best if you worked with a functional medicine doctor.

Best wishes...

It sounds like you have a very individual situation. I am not a fan of just taking supplements I read about, I think I should, or what someone else is taking. That is a recipe for disaster as you've already found.

Best wishes...
Seeing as he's from Italy, most GP won't even acknowledge amalgam toxicity. Choice of functional doctors is rather limited I believe, I guess he could try naturopaths, I doubt they have the background to be familiar with methylation and what not. If I were to report my symptoms to a GP I'd put on antidepressants in a matter of seconds.
And that's is not assuming he's on a budget... Not suggesting he should tamper with supplements but the more he knows the better for him probably. I guess he can get in contact with overseas docs but that's gonna cost him.

Learner1

Seeing as he's from Italy, most GP won't even acknowledge amalgam toxicity. Choice of functional doctors is rather limited I believe, I guess he could try naturopaths, I doubt they have the background to be familiar with methylation and what not. If I were to report my symptoms to a GP I'd put on antidepressants in a matter of seconds.
And that's is not assuming he's on a budget... Not suggesting he should tamper with supplements but the more he knows the better for him probably. I guess he can get in contact with overseas docs but that's gonna cost him.
I've actually searched in Italy and the EU previously and have seen that there are excellent testing and doctors there.

Good functional medicine care, unfortunately, is costly everywhere, but it is extremely helpful. One can spend years wandering around in the weeds, experimenting by trying things on ones own, but it's more effective and timely to get on an appropriate protocol based on testing that specifically describes the issues.

Ideally, everyone's GP should know these things, but they just don't. Wish it were different.

I've actually searched in Italy and the EU previously and have seen that there are excellent testing and doctors there.

Good functional medicine care, unfortunately, is costly everywhere, but it is extremely helpful. One can spend years wandering around in the weeds, experimenting by trying things on ones own, but it's more effective and timely to get on an appropriate protocol based on testing that specifically describes the issues.

Ideally, everyone's GP should know these things, but they just don't. Wish it were different.
If you remember or still have the links to some good professionals in Italy, Rome even better, that's very welcome!

Last edited:

Methyl90

@motorhead are you Italian? At the moment I found an Italian pediatrician who prescribed me numerous targeted tests on cofactors / vitamins / minerals / amino acids. On the 26th I will have the results and certainly a program to follow. At the moment it is the fifth day on methylcobalamin with a gradual increase of the dosage and I am really finding it better and better. It is a great satisfaction because until a few years ago I had very powerful adverse effects, and I had given up (wrongly).

Methyl90

Best wishes...

I can tell you the truth that many episodes described by Fred I see myself in many situations.

I haven't had a growth like other children, so there are a lot of things to fix and doing it at 30 is not a walk at all as I've come to not even be able to speak and deliver a speech.

I have decided to try again with the B12 protocol until I have different official medical treatments.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that I still cannot tolerate any type of vegetable folate, both from vegetables and fruit ... at the moment I try to limit it while if I consume white wheat I have no side effects.

Why ?

I will start the methylfolate after 7-10 days of continuous use of B12 (I am using a single dose during the morning because in the following hours I believe I interfere with the production of melatonin).

Although I must say, that last night I felt slight symptoms in the change of breath and other negative neurological symptoms from B12 depletion and / or methyl trap somewhere .... in fact, when I wake up I always feel bad.

I take B12 and after two hours I feel much better. Jarrow is called a great brand ... but it's full of excipients :(

At the moment I don't take multivitamins, in my opinion they are too overdosed.

I'll be doing tests to check potassium and other blood values shortly.