• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone feel BETTER after getting the Covid vax?

andyguitar

But wouldn't this assume that the person getting the vaccine has a normal functioning immune system to begin with (in order for their T-reg cells to properly regulate the immune response when they get a vaccine)
Yes it does, and my posts about them are about how they work in the average person. It's hard to tell if it is a failure of T-Reg cells that can cause problems or an over reaction of the part of the immune system that kills the virus.

Marylib

My cousin was disabled from stroke a few years ago. He had a a massive stroke following a covid vaccination which killed him at home. I have read of this happening to physicians who got it and the European Union banned the AstraZeneca vaccine out of clotting concerns. I presume he had pre-existing atherosclerosis and then the vaccine induced a clot which killed him. Had he lived in the EU where it was banned he might still be alive.
Oh no.. So sorry @gbells

Marylib

My cousin was disabled from stroke a few years ago. He had a a massive stroke following a covid vaccination which killed him at home. I have read of this happening to physicians who got it and the European Union banned the AstraZeneca vaccine out of clotting concerns. I presume he had pre-existing atherosclerosis and then the vaccine induced a clot which killed him. Had he lived in the EU where it was banned he might still be alive.
Oh no.. So sorry @gbells
My son in law's uncle was hospitalized with the platelet troubles following Pfizer ...and its real touch and go, he is not out of the woods yet weeks later.
Yeah, I am avoiding any vaccine if at all possible - so sorry to hear about all these troubles.

Marylib

Too early to tell for sure but I've noticed feeling noticeably better(less fatigue, less pain, less brain fog, better recovery) since getting my first jab of Moderna last week. Was fairly fatigued on day 2 but since then I've felt much better than average. It's hard to say if it's solely due to the vaccine or not. I'll be interested to see how this plays out going forward.
Do you have access to immune panel testing and T cells and all that stuff?

lenora

At the

I do some research regarding the vaccines and the immune system.

i found an interesting article about Moderna+BionTech and Th1/Th2 balance:

In addition to evaluating humoral response (ie, neutralizing antibody titers), cellular immunity was also evaluated. mRNA-1273 demonstrated Th1-type T cell polarization with minimal Th2 cytokine expression.
Cellular response was demonstrated through Th1 cytokine producing CD4+ T cell (S-specific) response (cohort 1: 76-83%; cohort 3: 60-67%) and CD8+ T cell (S-specific) response (cohort 1: 51-64%; cohort 3: 24-36%) Assessment for vaccine associated enhanced respiratory disease (VAERD) was completed by measuring CD4+ Th1 and Th2 responses to the vaccine evaluating for Th2 skewed response. Two participants had a measurable Th2 response, but Th1/Th2 ratio indicated it was a Th-1 skewed response.

So there seems to be a Th1–biased immune system reaction.
We have a imbalance toward Th2 so maybe that could be a reason why you are feeling better.
Just an idea....

And therein lies so much of the problem. There is a multitude of ideas about the causes of this illness, but the researchers have to nitpick away until they find an answers and something that will actually work. They're truly the heroes/heroines of this illness. On top of it all, it gets more complicated each day as the world progresses.

It's helpful that these people are now working together, that's thanks in part to the computer age, but then some have always been more willing than others to share what they've found.

This illness has been shown to exist for a minimum of 150 years. If doctors and nurses who were afflicted by it at the Royal Free Hospital (from the suspected polio virus) couldn't receive help, then it shows how much there was available at the time. Nothing.

Look for replications of research...especially across countries. That will be your biggest tip-off that something can be followed. Each day brings one new research paper or another, some fall by the wayside immediately.
It's very difficult when we don't know which way to turn for an answer. I know, b/c I lived it for so many years. Others perhaps longer even. I have seen and used "cures" that have long come and gone, but at least it helped to know that someone was trying. Yours, Lenora

belize44

Chiming in here. I had my second Moderna vaccine yesterday. Yesterday evening I began to feel ill. I was able to eat supper, but by bedtime my arm was swollen and aching badly. I also had a major headache. I had to take a double dose of pain killer to sleep, and, very unusual for me, I bundled up in blankets which I did not take off once all night. I usually spend my nights sweating, which is a major nuisance. When I woke I had a temp of 101 and felt nauseous. I spend the entire day sleeping, only rising to visit the bathroom and sip water and tea. I deliberately did not take any aspirin or NSAIDS because I wanted the vaccine to do its work.

I was concerned because I knew it was important to hydrate, but I could barely stay awake long enough to drink or eat. By evening I was still in bed; thankfully hubby made a huge pot of chicken soup. I then took an Advil and had a normal night's sleep. I can't say that I feel better today, but there is a certain feeling of lightness. I do feel glad that my body kicked butt, and is basically saying it will kick butt again if any COVID nasties decide to invade!

Abrin

One interesting side note is that while I don't find I feel any better or any worse, my heart rate variability reading over the last week has gone up and shows that I am currently on the parasympathetic side.

It is generally always on the sympathetic side so I see how some people might feel an improvement after getting their shot.

To answer the previous question: no lasting effects from first shot that I noticed, sadly.

Had my second shot of Moderna on Sunday.

Day 0...felt tired. Took a long nap(slight fever and chills)

Day 1...slept most of the day(still fever, chills and sore neck/shoulders from tensing while sleeping).

Day 2...felt really good. Very little fatigue, much like the first dose for me, but still slight fever/chills and arm that had injection is having a reaction(red swelling about 3-4 inches down arm with a firmness but really isn't as bad as it looks). I went on a long walk today and felt better than average again despite the slight fever/chills but my normal fatigue was much better again. I imagine this will follow the same trend again where I will have a few days of less fatigue than normal before crashing again, but I'll take it.

Meds haven't changed apart from taking a low dose of Tylenol to keep the fever down a bit.

I'll follow up again in a few days. Still, this is really interesting that so far it seems like I'm getting a good bit of relief from fatigue when my immune system kicks into gear?

Yes it is interesting. What was the most noticable improvement?

Less fatigue by a large amount and it seems like reduced PEM.

Day 3....felt the vaccine (fever, chills, tight neck, really strange dreams) pretty hard and decided to take it easier especially after my 1.5 hour walk on day 2. Got some extra naps in and let my body do its thing.

Day 4....woke up refreshed and feeling pretty solid overall. Went out for another long walk(1.5-2 hours) and am feeling great.

For the sake of reference, the past year has been pretty rough and I'm usually fearful of PEM hitting hard on a 10 minute walk that I would try maybe once a week. So to just go out and keep going is pretty cool and liberating. I don't expect it to last but am slightly optimistic that I can hold onto a bit of a regular routine. If not, at least I got a small reprieve and another clue.

xena

Yes, I got the Pfizer shot and feel better after both first and second dose. Energetic, better cognitive function. Some side effects after both. Body pain. A little fuzzy now on my second day. Go figure.

pattismith

After my second Pfizer dose I was ill one or two days then I had improvement for about a week. (Less sleepy );

I already had improvement for one to 3 days after a viral illness previously (gastro or cold type), so it may be related.

Hi, if we assume that ME patients in broad terms, and very simplified, can be split into two groups (I know this is not the case, but bare with me):

1. Over-active immune system
2. Under-active immune system

Which of the two groups is more likely to have adverse side-effects from the COVID vaccine (Pfizer)?
I am very much in the over-active immune system category. I've been offered to take the first Pfizer shot next week.

[male, moderate to severe, mid 40s, northern europe]

2Cor.12:19

Hi, if we assume that ME patients in broad terms, and very simplified, can be split into two groups (I know this is not the case, but bare with me):

1. Over-active immune system
2. Under-active immune system

Which of the two groups is more likely to have adverse side-effects from the COVID vaccine (Pfizer)?
I am very much in the over-active immune system category. I've been offered to take the first Pfizer shot next week.

[male, moderate to severe, mid 40s, northern europe]
Hi @robson - Interesting question. I’m over active too and did fine. Based on everything I’ve read, I personally don’t think it makes a difference. Covid vaccines have been proven to be very safe for all of us and serious negative reactions are extremely rare. By comparison, chances of getting killed in a car crash are much, much higher. As for non serious side effects, some people feel nothing at all while a good percentage of us ( myself included) feel real crummy for a day or two and then they suddenly disappear! 😃.
One thing is for sure you DON’T want to risk getting COVID! Assuming your doctor has recommended you get the vaccine, I’d bet my last dollar that you’ll do just fine even if you feel lousy for a a day or two.
Best wishes!

Hi @robson - Interesting question. I’m over active too and did fine. Based on everything I’ve read, I personally don’t think it makes a difference. Covid vaccines have been proven to be very safe for all of us and serious negative reactions are extremely rare. By comparison, chances of getting killed in a car crash are much, much higher. As for non serious side effects, some people feel nothing at all while a good percentage of us ( myself included) feel real crummy for a day or two and then they suddenly disappear! 😃.
One thing is for sure you DON’T want to risk getting COVID! Assuming your doctor has recommended you get the vaccine, I’d bet my last dollar that you’ll do just fine even if you feel lousy for a a day or two.
Best wishes!

Thanks a lot for your reply, I appreciate you taking the time. My immune system is incredible over active. I never catch the common cold or the flu. I get completely bedridden by even small micro doses of LDN (0.2 mg). My anti-TPO blood levels are through the roof. I'll confer with my doctor and make a final decision next week. Right now I think I will take it, but I can't deny I am nervous.

Sophiedw

That’s fantastic, a month is a long time! It is so strange isn’t it. Glad you were able to get things done and I’m sorry that these improvements often don’t last. Still it shows it is possible to improve. One day they’ll work it all out.