• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Anyone else have a massive improvement from Tyrosine?

Learner1

Some adults develop elevated tyrosine in their blood. This indicates a need for more vitamin C. More tyrosine is needed under stress, and tyrosine supplements prevent the stress-induced depletion of norepinephrine and can cure biochemical depression.

• Tyrosinemia may coexist with tyrosinuria and the most common cause is either vitamin B6 deficiency or pyridoxal 5-phosphate dysfunction, or weakness of the tyrosine transaminase enzyme and increased need for vitamin B6 or pyridoxal 5-phosphate.
These diagrams show where P5P (B6), C, SAMe and BH4 (Kuvan) are used in catecholamine production:

Screenshot_20220129-075724.png

Screenshot_20220129-075526.png

Tyrosine is also needed in the production of thyroid hormones, which can impact energy. It might be wise to have FT3, FT4 and TSH checked after supplementing tyrosine, especially if you start to feel hyperthyroid symptoms.

Violeta

These diagrams show where P5P (B6), C, SAMe and BH4 (Kuvan) are used in catecholamine production:

View attachment 46724
View attachment 46726

Tyrosine is also needed in the production of thyroid hormones, which can impact energy. It might be wise to have FT3, FT4 and TSH checked after supplementing tyrosine, especially if you start to feel hyperthyroid symptoms.

You are a virtual library! I will make sure to take B6 and C two or three times a day. The thing about the thyroid is that my temperature has been anywhere from 96.? to 97.6 for years. Taking selenium and seaweed for iodine or even potassium iodide hasn't helped. This is the first thing that has helped very quickly. Sometimes diet seemed to have helped, but took forever, and had repercussions. Hopefully I can use my temperature to judge.

I have also seen it can raise blood pressure, which is something that is helpful for me, too. Of course, I wouldn't want that to go too high, either. I wonder how often it's the case that someone that needs and benefits from tyrosine actually experiences symptoms of excess.

Whenever I see vitamin c in the picture I find it interesting because I experienced extreme enough deficiency as a child as to have obvious symptoms of easy bruising and poor condition of gums. A dentist recommended supplementing, and my mother got some for me, but she didn't stick with it, having 6 kids and the work that involved.

Learner1

The thing about the thyroid is that my temperature has been anywhere from 96.? to 97.6 for years. Taking selenium and seaweed for iodine or even potassium iodide hasn't helped. This is the first thing that has helped very quickly. Sometimes diet seemed to have helped, but took forever, and had repercussions. Hopefully I can use my temperature to judge.
I've found that having thyroid hormones at good levels puts my temperature at 97.6-98.0, when I'm hypothyroid, it's 96-97.
I have also seen it can raise blood pressure, which is something that is helpful for me, too. Of course, I wouldn't want that to go too high, either. I wonder how often it's the case that someone that needs and benefits from tyrosine actually experiences symptoms of excess.
I tend toward hyper (high BP) POTS and having enough tyrosine doesn't make it too high
Whenever I see vitamin c in the picture I find it interesting because I experienced extreme enough deficiency as a child as to have obvious symptoms of easy bruising and poor condition of gums. A dentist recommended supplementing, and my mother got some for me, but she didn't stick with it, having 6 kids and the work that involved.
Collagen production also needs vitamin C, And the immune system. Not having enough vitamin C can lead to some of the spinal / neck and nerve pinching issues that many people experience, in my opinion.
The Pall Vitamin C pdf that you linked says that postherpetic neuralgia is one of the diseases associated with the NO/ONOO- cycle!
Yup! They damage mitochondria...

Wow interesting stuff on BH4. I have weird symptoms that may be related to BH4 deficiency. First of all my body gets very cold after eating meals, mostly anything below the waist down. I am deficient in arginine, methionine, tyrosine, thiamine, riboflavin, b12, b6, vitamin c, glycine just to name some nutrients. Haven't been able to solve my digestion problems, nothing seems to help.

I have been able to get my dopamine levels to go up because i go into a state of mania and pure bliss (i end up listening to the same song for 2 hours in a row) that kind of reaction. I'm not sure if it's Sam-E causing that or something else. I take so many supplements that i don't know for sure what's causing what or what is even helping. I have a NutrEval test done but i think i need more testing done.

Violeta

I am having very good results from taking tyrosine. My temperature has gone up, standing causes less anxiety and fatigue, and I have been able to make myself do more around the house. Hopefully this will continue.

These are two interesting things I read about tyrosine. They seem to indicate that taking vitamin C and B6 would most likely be helpful. That's a simplistic conclusion, if anyone has more insights into that, would love to hear them.

I also find it interesting that tyrosine can curb inflammation caused by infection or an autoimmune response.

Some adults develop elevated tyrosine in their blood. This indicates a need for more vitamin C. More tyrosine is needed under stress, and tyrosine supplements prevent the stress-induced depletion of norepinephrine and can cure biochemical depression.

• Tyrosinemia may coexist with tyrosinuria and the most common cause is either vitamin B6 deficiency or pyridoxal 5-phosphate dysfunction, or weakness of the tyrosine transaminase enzyme and increased need for vitamin B6 or pyridoxal 5-phosphate.

One effect of tyrosine is that it is anti encephalopathic.
Encephalitis is inflammation of the active tissues of the brain caused by an infection or an autoimmune response. The inflammation causes the brain to swell, which can lead to headache, stiff neck, sensitivity to light, mental confusion and seizures.
I just happened on this old message of mine and I am thinking my stiff neck is indicating mild encephalitis. Oh no.

datadragon

Zinc is required in the regulation of tetrahydrobiopterin (BH4) production. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/is-there-bh4-supplement-medicine.22480/page-10#post-2452006

Dopa Decarboxylase is a Vitamin B6 dependent enzyme, which is required for the biosynthesis of key neurotransmitters, e.g., dopamine and serotonin. , it requires the active form aka P5P or PLP. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36614085/

Vitamin B6 normally needs Zinc, Magnesium, and Vitamin B2 (flavin mononucleotide (FMN); also known as riboflavin-5’-phosphate) in the conversion to active B6 (P5P/PLP). . I recently found also that even if you take the active form it apparently may not be able to get into the cell and be utilized in the presence of pro inflammatory cytokines with the zinc deficiency as the final tissue uptake of circulating PLP requires a different enzyme that has zinc as a co-factor. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...6-nk-cells-histamine-oh-my.90803/post-2443820

Here we show that in Vitamin D VDR-expressing SH-SY5Y cells, the active form 1,25(OH)2D3 significantly increased production of tyrosine hydroxylase (TH), the rate-limiting enzyme in dopamine synthesis. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306452215006624

Zinc is involved there as well. The vitamin D receptor (VDR) binds zinc, and the activity of vitamin D dependent genes in cells is influenced by intracellular zinc concentrations. So again taking Vitamin D, the VDR functions of Vitamin D may be impacted with a zinc deficiency.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/dang-those-vitamin-d3-levels.91152/post-2450071

This seems to be very relevant also for Myelin formation as I posted the research here https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...s-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.91144/post-2452089
Vitamin A is also involved in VDR function and zinc is involved in vitamin A metabolism and vice versa. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...lightly-darker-anyone-else.91305/post-2450237 Zinc and Vitamin A are needed for thyroid. All PPARs heterodimerize with the retinoid X receptor (RXR) and bind to specific regions on the DNA of target genes - Retinoid X receptor (RXR) requires Vitamin A. The RXR also forms a heterodimer with a number of other receptors (e.g., vitamin D and thyroid hormone). Vitamin A is crucial in activating Retinoid X Receptors (RXR), which is also required for PPAR activation. Zinc is involved in Vitamin A metabolism and vice versa. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23440512/

Butyrate, a gut-derived environmental signal, regulates tyrosine hydroxylase gene expression via a novel promoter element https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/16165221/ (dopamine). Butyrate is found low in ME/CFS as confirmed by NIH and is known to be lowered in a zinc deficiency.

Tyrosine is a precursor to neurotransmitters and hormones
In dopaminergic cells in the brain, tyrosine is converted to L-DOPA by the enzyme tyrosine hydroxylase (TH). TH is the rate-limiting enzyme involved in the synthesis of the neurotransmitter dopamine. Dopamine can then be converted into other catecholamines, such as norepinephrine (noradrenaline) and epinephrine (adrenaline).
The thyroid hormones triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) in the colloid of the thyroid also are derived from tyrosine.

Last edited: