• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Alternative to peanut butter?

outdamnspot

@outdamnspot

I've had similar issues with peanut butter and some other vegetable oils. My main fat source now is animal fat. I use grassfed beef tallow to supplement any lean cuts of meat by just throwing more into the frying pan before cooking the meat.

To me, tallow tastes very neutral. Sometimes I'll just drink what's left over in the frying pan after it cools a little. Other times I'll scramble a few eggs with the remaining tallow - this actually tastes pretty good.

YYMV - There are many people who have digestive trouble with rendered animal fat. Luckily I'm not one of them.

Would that be something like this? https://shop.coles.com.au/a/a-vic-metro-oakleigh/product/york-foods-dripping-250g

brenda

Ground flax seeds are an excellent source of omega 3. Leafy vegetables also contain omegas. Since cutting out all animal products from my diet including all oils, my skin has never felt so good. I take an algae source of DHA daily. There is a famous plant based cardiologist who advises cutting out all nuts for heart patients as well as animal products and oils and they do well, reversing their heart problems without medication.

Avocado is also a good source of whole food omegas.

Last edited:

skwag

That looks pretty close. I'm not sure what the definition of dripping is. I've read some comments that it may contain some meat juices in addition to fat, whereas tallow is just the fat. I've also read the opposite - that dripping and tallow are the same thing.

So in short, I'm not 100% sure this is tallow, but I think it probably is. Or at least close enough.

outdamnspot

That looks pretty close. I'm not sure what the definition of dripping is. I've read some comments that it may contain some meat juices in addition to fat, whereas tallow is just the fat. I've also read the opposite - that dripping and tallow are the same thing.

So in short, I'm not 100% sure this is tallow, but I think it probably is. Or at least close enough.

Aside from the idea being possibly unpleasant is there any reason I can't just drink it?

skwag

Aside from the idea being possibly unpleasant is there any reason I can't just drink it?
At room temperature, tallow is a solid and has waxy, grainy type of texture. You can definitely just eat it in this state, but I dislike the texture. At 35C or so, the tallow melts and has the same texture as any other oil. At this point it is drinkable.

Wolfcub

I was just reading through the thread...
Manufacturers seem to cater for many people liking food which is either sweet, or bordering on sweet nowadays! Thus sweetener is added to so many savoury things which really don't need a sweet taste!
My guess is chicken prep from those fast food places is likely to be glazed/basted with some form of sweet-ish stuff. When all it needs is a little salt and pepper! Also ready cooked chicken always tastes horribly fatty to me, an dnothing like home roasted chicken.

Likewise peanut butter, and many nut butters. It is hard to find any without (what I consider to be unnecessary and wrong ingredients) sweetener, added things that don't need to be there. All that's needed are peanuts, a LITTLE oil, and a sprinkle of salt. Even some of the health-food shop ones don't taste right, and a sweetish peanut butter....well yuck to my tastebuds anyway.
I like my savoury food savoury and not too greasy.
The best thing to do is get a blender, put your own things in it. Then you can see if it's the peanuts you can't tolerate, or the additives.

Salmon should always be wild salmon. Farmed salmon is quite toxic. The canned salmon is not bad, so long as it's definitely "wild".

outdamnspot

I've found two organic products online that look good. One is a tallow

My supermarket didn't carry that product so I researched further and found both a grass-fed dripping and tallow product online. Here is a link to the tallow: https://www.brothoflife.com.au/products/tallow

I want to order it but one thing that concerned me: it says it's made from bone broth. A lot of pre-made broth products contain other stuff I wouldn't tolerate, like spices etc. But is this probably different? Is it normal to source tallow from a broth?

skwag

My supermarket didn't carry that product so I researched further and found both a grass-fed dripping and tallow product online. Here is a link to the tallow: https://www.brothoflife.com.au/products/tallow
That's strange. It's definitely not normal to source tallow from broth. I would guess that line in the description is just wrong, but I don't know. By definition, tallow is just rendered fat.

This product is also getting pretty pricey. Grassfed tallow in the US can be found for around US$7/lb when ordering a couple pounds or more. Of course, you pay more per pound for small quantities, but this price seems crazy to me for 150 grams.

outdamnspot

That's strange. It's definitely not normal to source tallow from broth. I would guess that line in the description is just wrong, but I don't know. By definition, tallow is just rendered fat.

This product is also getting pretty pricey. Grassfed tallow in the US can be found for around US$7/lb when ordering a couple pounds or more. Of course, you pay more per pound for small quantities, but this price seems crazy to me for 150 grams.

Yeah I noticed how small that quantity was. I ended up ordering a grass fed product from a butcher; it was still expensive ($15 for 375mg) but it will give me an idea as to whether I can tolerate it. Then perhaps I can try to find a way to buy it in bulk online.

skwag

@skwag was there a noticeable difference in your health when you switched from nut butter to animal fats?

I noticed I had problems with tree nuts years ago. Every time i had them my POTS seemed to be worse the next day. It took me longer to ditch peanut butter, because the symptoms from it were different. Sometimes my nose would get stuffed up immediately. But usually it would cause my nose to get stuffy while I slept at night, which would cause all sorts of sleep problems. So maybe a histamine issue there.

I've been eating a zerocarb diet for the last few months - no vegetables at all. To start the diet, I only had to drop olive oil, coconut oil, and the vegetables I was eating ( broccoli, squash, green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado ). So I was pretty restricted already on my keto diet. I have noticed a difference on zerocarb. I have much less inflammation at least with respect to my skin and gut. The low level headaches I used to get often -- well I haven't had them in a while - knock on wood. After a few weeks I noticed some improvement in my POTS, but it is still there.

outdamnspot

I noticed I had problems with tree nuts years ago. Every time i had them my POTS seemed to be worse the next day. It took me longer to ditch peanut butter, because the symptoms from it were different. Sometimes my nose would get stuffed up immediately. But usually it would cause my nose to get stuffy while I slept at night, which would cause all sorts of sleep problems. So maybe a histamine issue there.

I've been eating a zerocarb diet for the last few months - no vegetables at all. To start the diet, I only had to drop olive oil, coconut oil, and the vegetables I was eating ( broccoli, squash, green beans, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado ). So I was pretty restricted already on my keto diet. I have noticed a difference on zerocarb. I have much less inflammation at least with respect to my skin and gut. The low level headaches I used to get often -- well I haven't had them in a while - knock on wood. After a few weeks I noticed some improvement in my POTS, but it is still there.

That's interesting, thanks. I feel like I've reached a bit of a crisis point with my diet. As I've mentioned on here, I was on quite a varied Keto diet up until 6 months ago; suddenly, I had to cut out avocado, then spinach/kale, then oils, then nuts etc. The crashes and inflammation just seemed endless, but I would have occasional days where I didn't react to anything and was about 50% more functional, which made me think it is diet. Peanut butter was okay until a few weeks ago -- as I've mentioned, I seemed to grow intolerant to 'natural' peanut butters first, presumably due to the richer oil content; then suddenly a week ago, the spread was causing me problems, but I was hesitant to stop it because I thought it was the last fat left for me. I also get disrupted sleep, burning eyes, sinus issues etc. I could probably switch to zero carb with the animal fats on board, because all I'm eating carb wise is a green salad with dinner. I'm just praying I tolerate the tallow.

skwag

I'm just praying I tolerate the tallow.
Keep us posted. My first couple weeks of zerocarb were a little rough, not too bad though. More than a few times I had a little too much animal fat in one sitting and got some nausea. I think tolerance grows as the body adapts to the diet. Good luck!

outdamnspot

Keep us posted. My first couple weeks of zerocarb were a little rough, not too bad though. More than a few times I had a little too much animal fat in one sitting and got some nausea. I think tolerance grows as the body adapts to the diet. Good luck!

Thanks. By the way, how do you store your tallow? I've read pantry or fridge is fine, but the butcher told me it has to be the fridge.

Also, cut out peanut butter last night and I'm a little better today, but still not great. I've been thinking my other issue is that I switched from scrambled to boiled eggs a few weeks ago (in an attempt to circumvent using oil to cook). I wonder if the runny yolk is just too much for my stomach? I typically eat 5-6 boiled eggs before bed, and that also coincided with worsening diarrhea and early awakenings. Did you ever notice a difference in how you prepare your eggs? Since I have the tallow now, at least I can go back to scrambling.

skwag

By the way, how do you store your tallow?
I use the fridge. If I'm not going to be using the tallow for a month or more, then I'll store it in the freezer.
I typically eat 5-6 boiled eggs before bed, and that also coincided with worsening diarrhea and early awakenings. Did you ever notice a difference in how you prepare your eggs? Since I have the tallow now, at least I can go back to scrambling.
I haven't noticed any difference between cooking techniques. I do sleep better if I don't eat after dinner though. I just try to make sure I eat enough in the day/evening so I'm not hungry at night.

outdamnspot

Okay, I'm legitimately at a loss now. I was doing research last night and read some people say they did in fact have an intolerance to boiled eggs, possibly due to something in the egg white or yolk that dissipates when cooked. I had been very focused on peanut butter as the source of my problems, but as I said, some days when I consumed boiled eggs I would have immediate sneezing and diarrhea afterwards, and boiling eggs instead of cooking them was the big change I made about 4 weeks ago.

So yesterday, I had my first 'zero carb' day and consumed meat for lunch and dinner, then scrambled eggs in the tallow before bed (I also dissolved some tallow in hot water to drink). Immediately after eating the eggs, I was hit with sinus congestion, depression and diarrhea, and today I have the worst brain fog, apathy etc (though I'm also less 'crashed' than the past few days). I suspect I do have a histamine issue -- but I've read conflicting things on tallow. Some sources say it is high-histamine, but it also contains oleic acid, which I thought should help by increasing DAO? Could there possibly just be an adjustment to consuming the animal fats?

My only other option now would be going back to a 'light' olive oil I guess, but this is becoming ridiculous :(

skwag

@outdamnspot ,

Do you have source for tallow being high histamine? I've only heard the opposite, and my experience suggests it is not.

Some of your symptoms could be adaption ( usually it takes a little longer though ), just having too much fat, or intolerance to rendered animal fat. But others like sinus congestion seem more likely to be a reaction to the eggs.

Last edited:

outdamnspot

@outdamnspot ,

Do you have source for tallow being high histamine? I've only heard the opposite, and my experience suggests it is not.

Some of your symptoms could be adaption ( usually it takes a little longer though ), just having too much fat, or intolerance to rendered animal fat. But others like sinus congestion seem more likely to be a reaction to the eggs.

To be honest, I don't. I did see it listed as a safe food on some low-histamine diet websites, but then a few people in the comments on articles said that it was high histamine or they had a bad reaction to it.

Eggs have never really caused sinus congestion before; at the worst, I got sneezing or diarrhea with boiled eggs. I've been fine with eggs for so long, this may not be scientific, but I wonder if boiling them (pending I'm intolerant of something in uncooked eggs) somehow 'sensitized' me to eggs

However, the cognitive impairment today is very different, and I'm not really in a panicked state the way I get with typical inflammatory reactions.

This could be a stretch, but I'm actually wondering if this could be a kind of 'detox' reaction, because of how 'flu-like' I feel? I did find this: http://forum.marksdailyapple.com/fo...int-odds-and-ends/26046-tallow-cause-detoxing

skwag

I see that you still eat fish. You could test whether histamines are a problem for you by eating some fish that is not fresh. For example, a can of sardines. The histamine load there is pretty high. This might help you narrow down the problem.

outdamnspot

I see that you still eat fish. You could test whether histamines are a problem for you by eating some fish that is not fresh. For example, a can of sardines. The histamine load there is pretty high. This might help you narrow down the problem.

Hm, yeah my parents make fish so I am forced to eat it 1-2 times a week. Is histamine more an issue with canned/smoked fish?