• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ALERT: Teitelbaum to be on DR OZ SHOW this FRIDAY!

Summer

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Featured On Dr. Oz Show, Friday October 23

Dr. Oz's guest Jacob Teitelbaum, MD, best-selling author of From Fatigued to Fantastic! (Avery Penguin Group) and Pain Free 1-2-3 (McGraw-Hill), suffered from CFS when he was in medical school and had to drop out for a year to recover. The disease left him homeless and sleeping on park benches, but this defining experience ignited a passion to learn everything he could about the disease and beat it.

"From that time, my medical career has been focused on finding effective treatment for CFS and its painful cousin fibromyalgia, which together afflict at least 12 million Americans," explained Dr. Teitelbaum, who serves as medical director of the national Fibromyalgia and Fatigue Centers www.fibroandfatigue.com. His landmark study on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (Journal of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, 8:2, 2001) showed that 91 percent of patients using his SHINE treatment protocol improved, with an average improvement in quality of life of 90 percent.

"SHINE stands for Sleep, Hormones, Infections, Nutrition and Exercise--the critical areas we focus on treating to help CFS patients get their lives back," said Dr. Teitelbaum. "Our free online symptom analysis program helps to streamline the process, customizing treatments that you and your physician can easily incorporate."

Although many stresses, including numerous infections, can trigger CFS, Dr. Teitelbaum identifies hypothalamic dysfunction as the mechanism responsible for the wide range of disabling and seemingly unconnected symptoms suffered by CFS patients. "If you're exhausted but can't sleep, experience brain fog, weight gain, achiness, and low libido--it's highly likely that you have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome," he explained. "When the system is over-stressed, the hypothalamus acts like a circuit breaker that shuts off the power to protect body and mind from further damage.

"I know what patients are going through," Dr. Teitelbaum concluded. "Regardless of what doctors may have told you in the past, this disease is real, but it is treatable and you can get your life back."

Dreambirdie

work in progress
ON TEITELBAUM'S FORUM YESTERDAY

"Very excited about the show! Check out our site after the broadcast. If the Oz show allows us, we will have the clip posted as soon as we can. Cross you fingers that we can post it.

I am interested to see the show. It was originally supposed to be more involved, and have a few patients involved as well. But it was cut down. So we'll see what is left.

I was on Facebook tonight, on the CFIDS Assoc of America pages. One of our former patients had posted that Dr. T was going to be on the show, and there was post after post of people bashing Dr. T. Any thoughts on this? If you are Facebookers, and feel like taking a look, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Some of the people were down right vicious, quoting that Dr. Oz having Dr. T on the show as a CFS/FM expert is like having Ronald McDonald on as an expert in animal husbandry. Help!? I was really shocked and surprised."

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I got to see all, but the last 2 min. of the segment with Dr. T. Maybe I was expecting more, but didn't like the direction that the segment took. I don't think it represented the disease at all. The timing based on recent discoveries just didn't help things a bit. Even not considering recent discoveries it just wasn't what it should have been. I hope that there was something there that others saw that we can build off of.

MEKoan

Teitelbaum, "I am interested to see the show. It was originally supposed to be more involved, and have a few patients involved as well. But it was cut down. So we'll see what is left.

I think we, collectively, had an impact.

I feel kinda sorry for Dr T now. I must say that I'm surprised to be feeling sorry for someone who got very rich setting up very profitable centres which have not been all that helpful.

Personally, I don't think it's necessary to pillory him. I don't think he had malign intent. However, his reaction to the virus has been rather churlish.

I'll be watching today.

Dreambirdie

work in progress
I think we, collectively, had an impact.

I feel kinda sorry for Dr T now.
Personally, I don't think it's necessary to pillory him. I don't think he had malign intent. However, his reaction to the virus has been rather churlish.

I hope we did have an impact, and knowing us I'm sure we will have more in the future. he-he-he ;):cool::)

And yeah, I also feel a bit sorry for Dr T. I think he had/has a genuine desire to be helpful, and applied what worked for him to others... in a REAL BIG way. But that is always the problem when one ASSUMES that there is a one size fits all agenda that will be the "universal solution," and then closes the door on all relevant incoming data.

MEKoan

Dreambirdie,

I wonder if they pulled the thread. I can't find anything about it.

Koan

KC22

Dr. Oz - Bummer......

Wow!!! What a disappointment. I did not see my disease at all....
He talked about anemia, hypothyroidism, and nutrition, Dr.Oz did. Dr. T. talked hardly at all.

Well, it was nice this week thinking something was happening, but this was definitely not it.

I believe we may have to do floods of letters regarding a disease..and XMRV and what this really does to us. He said there are about 20,000,000 mostly women, with exhaustion. This did not help......:confused:

MEKoan

Hey Dreambirdie,

I went to Facebook and searched using exactly the name you posted. It took me outside facebook to the link for their site which had a link for Facebook with took me back to Facebook. Lots of threads but nothing about Teitelbaum and Oz.

Not real smart today. Could be me.

:p

MEKoan

KC22,

I'm such a fool! I could have watched it on timeshifting at noon but didn't check. I can see at 3.

Did they use the term "CFS" or CFIDS or ME?

If NOT, could this help to distinguish the rampant fatigue of modern life, with its stressors and unhealthy habits, from this illness? That would be fine.

Eyes crossed!
Koan

Dreambirdie

work in progress
Wow!!! What a disappointment. I did not see my disease at all....
He talked about anemia, hypothyroidism, and nutrition, Dr.Oz did. Dr. T. talked hardly at all.

This is what I was afraid of. :( What a pisser. The show is not on until 3 pm here, so I won't see it til later.

The thing that I find most disconcerting is that the WPI folks have repeatedly tried to contact the producers at the Oz show for the past THREE DAYS, and got NO response. :eek: THAT IS TRULY PATHETIC. We need to make a big stink about this.

Hysterical Woman

Thank You!

Thanks to all for your incredibly informative and funny posts regarding Dr. Teitelbaum in (oh, on) Oz. I wrote to Dr. Oz yesterday asking that that he have real researchers on the show to address this incredibly frustrating illness. I plan to write to him again later today.

MEKoan

August,

Sorry, I missed seeing your post! Bummer! Be back to this when have seen.

Summer,

Thanks much for posting that. All I can say is: Oym!

Koan

M

markmc2000

Got to see the show.I think I can understand his intent, he is trying to bring awareness to people in a socially acceptable way. He realizes there is an edidemic of fatigue. His intent may be to help the tired and find relief through some diet changes and such and help others get a diagonosis? He polled the audience and 100% of the audiaence as being tired and 30% as being exausted. I can believe that. However, kind of detracts from the rest of us who can't function.

He did kind of muddy the waters by talking about chronic fatigue and exhaustion in the same light. Obviously there are many folks with extreme and incapacitating fatigue like some of us here where we can barely do our daily living stuff, and then the rest of the CFS population who may still be funcional, but are dragging to work and able to still get stuff done. I was one CFS's who was functional for years, but recently kind of collapsed to the point where I find it tough to pay bills and make phone calls and get out of the house. However, I can still probably run if I need to and do everything, just run out of gas and have to quit for days.

Be interesting to see if XMRV is real and if a good test developes and how many people are found to have it, and how to move foward from here.

KC22

Koan and dreambirdie...

He used CFS. Dr. Oz started with how many people suffer with exhaustion. To me it was more a show on exhaustion. He said there could be up to 200 million in the world with this exhaustion.

They brought up a woman with 4 kids who was exhausted and talked about diet with her.

Nothing about viruses, bacteria, forget XMRV, nothing.

One good thing Dr. T did say was that people with this cannot get good sleep, even though they are exhausted, they have a hard time sleeping.

I felt kind of sorry for Dr. T because he was not really saying much in the show. It was Dr. Oz show,(ego????)

Honestly, this show had nothing to do with where I am..... I could have been watching a cooking show. (Can you tell I am not happy with it:rolleyes:)

I look forward to your opinion on the show.