• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify tolerance

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Martin, I’m unfortunately now in the same boat. I had crashed pretty severely and for 2 weeks abilify pulled me out to the point I was almost fully functional again. I’m now going on 4-5 days of being back into the crash and can’t do anything.
Yes I talked to Janet and other researchers and nobody knows what's the reason. Joshua thinks of a “broken” dopamine pathway but his metabolic explanations a far above my capacity

Strawberry

Could it be that we are all so desperate to be normal that we do wayyy too much on Abilify? Martin didn’t you say you went to the forest with friends? Although in a wheelchair…

Now I have lost my interest in trialing this…

Strawberry

But on abilify you were out of bed a tiny bit. Right? Now you are back in bed? I understand the tolerance point of view, how is this not a crash? (Ps not judging at all, I’m curious your perspective of your experience, and how it could relate to what potentially I could go through)

And thank you. I know how difficult posting can be for you.

nryanh94

But on abilify you were out of bed a tiny bit. Right? Now you are back in bed? I understand the tolerance point of view, how is this not a crash? (Ps not judging at all, I’m curious your perspective of your experience, and how it could relate to what potentially I could go through)

I was actually hoping it was a crash and the abilify was still working, but with all my crashes over the past year I’ve gotten pretty bad sore throats. Nothing like that here, just back to my new baseline exhaustion

Martin aka paused||M.E.

If tolerance occurs the drug loses its efficacy and then you don't get the energy... So you return to bed

Strawberry

Ok still trying to wrap my head around this. And my only experience is naltrexone, and a few other unimportant things…. I haven’t had a sore throat for at least 6 months. At least, not anything compared to what I used to have for 25 years solid. So I’m not getting PEM? My loss of the energy that I got from naltrexone (and still don’t have energy now for a couple weeks) is tolerance? Not a crash from doing too much packing?

I guess my line of thinking right at this moment, is I’ve always had high tolerance to many medications over my life. And including alcohol and pot. So it’s probably tolerance to naltrexone? And I’m assuming I’ll have tolerance to abilify after a few good weeks also? Does that sound logical? Am I on the right train? Or am I wandering the desert in a daze? :whistle:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Ok still trying to wrap my head around this. And my only experience is naltrexone, and a few other unimportant things…. I haven’t had a sore throat for at least 6 months. At least, not anything compared to what I used to have for 25 years solid. So I’m not getting PEM? My loss of the energy that I got from naltrexone (and still don’t have energy now for a couple weeks) is tolerance? Not a crash from doing too much packing?

I guess my line of thinking right at this moment, is I’ve always had high tolerance to many medications over my life. And including alcohol and pot. So it’s probably tolerance to naltrexone? And I’m assuming I’ll have tolerance to abilify after a few good weeks also? Does that sound logical? Am I on the right train? Or am I wandering the desert in a daze? :whistle:
Desert! You can't compare these two drugs and the other thing is: you can't predict tolerance

nryanh94

I mean my PEM has pretty consistently lead on with sore throat being my first symptom like clock work. So in my case. No I don’t believe it to be a crash

hmnr asg

I also pooped out on abilify and I can tell you it's NOT a crash. Abilify just stopped working one day. I know how a crash feels like. I wasn't even exerting myself particularly.

It just stops working one day and you can't get it back. There's been a lot of discussion around the poop out on abilify. Trust me, not a crash.

leokitten

If tolerance occurs the drug loses its efficacy and then you don't get the energy... So you return to bed

Yep totally, and the symptom exacerbation after exertion flooring you and pushing you to be stuck in bed because you feel poisoned and ill.

On Abilify if it’s working it suddenly causes all of that to totally go away or drastically reduce, including crashes. So like @hmnr asg said I imagine when it stops working you feel all of that coming back after exertion.

leokitten

Older thread on Cariprazine… not sure if his improvements are also related to more energy but as it worked for s.o. in the FB group it might be
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/vraylar.45984/

My guess is that if one has tolerance to Abilify that I don't see why cross-tolerance wouldn't occur to other somewhat similar antipsychotics. Plus, other antipsychotics don't have the same unique behavior as Abilify at low dosages, but maybe that could mean ME mechanism of action has little to do with increased dopamine neurotransmission and more with dopamine and serotonin system stablization.

Both cariprazine and brexipiprazole have lower D2 receptor intrinsic activity so I think as stated on wikipedia and other resources would be more blocking at lower doses.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

My guess is that if one has tolerance to Abilify that I don't see why cross-tolerance wouldn't occur to other somewhat similar antipsychotics. Plus, other antipsychotics don't have the same unique behavior as Abilify at low dosages, but maybe that could mean ME mechanism of action has little to do with increased dopamine neurotransmission and more with dopamine and serotonin system stablization.

Both cariprazine and brexipiprazole are have lower D2 receptor intrinsic activity so I think as stated on wikipedia and other resources would be more blocking at lower doses.
That was exactly what I needed to hear today 😊 thank you

gm286

So… amisulpride is worth trying, then? I am a bit fed up of waiting for doctors’ appointments. Especially since Abilify stopped working properly, for me, after two weeks. I want to do something about it but I feel this is past my comfort zone. I’d like to order amisulpride and try it. What’s the worst that can happen, I guess?

Martin aka paused||M.E.

So… amisulpride is worth trying, then? I am a bit fed up of waiting for doctors’ appointments. Especially since Abilify stopped working properly, for me, after two weeks. I want to do something about it but I feel this is past my comfort zone. I’d like to order amisulpride and try it. What’s the worst that can happen, I guess?
Well, many things. Tardive dyskinesia for example. Or diabetes. I think it's very low dose and you should see if it works after a few days. So that might decrease the risks. But nothing is granted.