• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify- Stanford Clinic Patients

leokitten

I dropped my abilify dose from 2mg to 1mg and i have been feeling TERRIBLE. Worse than before starting abilify. Its been two weeks and it just wont stop. I am even more tired than before. Proceed with caution. Maybe titrate down very slowly.

Sorry to hear that @hmnr asg, hopefully it will eventually stabilize

hmnr asg

I think I’ll do 1mg for a week, then quit.
maybe try the liquid solution and do even a lower dose.

I am currently dropping from 1mg to nothing. I am suspecting i will be severe for a while and then once its out of my system (I will give myself a month) I will get the solution and go to a small dose, 0.5mg and 0.25mg. If that doesnt work i will go higher.

Regardless, currently I am feeling ghastly and going back to the worst i have ever felt.

@Martin aka paused||M.E. how did you get off this damn pill? its been terrible for me. Also, how is paramipexole working for you?

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I am currently dropping from 1mg to nothing. I am suspecting i will be severe for a while and then once its out of my system (I will give myself a month) I will get the solution and go to a small dose, 0.5mg and 0.25mg. If that doesnt work i will go higher.

Regardless, currently I am feeling ghastly and going back to the worst i have ever felt.

@Martin aka paused||M.E. how did you get off this damn pill? its been terrible for me. Also, how is paramipexole working for you?
I just stopped it. Without any side effects.
I don’t know, I’m just at 1mg can’t judge it now

JES

So why are everyone stopping, is it because the drug stopped working or due to side effects?

JES

Yeah that seems to be happening to us with a lot of drugs. I wonder if Whitney Dafoe still gets some benefit from Abilify, it seems like that, but it could be one of those lucky drugs that helps one in a hundred ME/CFS patients. I was about to pursue a prescription on Abilify, but now I'm not so sure, might ask about pramipexole instead .

Jessie 107

Yeah that seems to be happening to us with a lot of drugs. I wonder if Whitney Dafoe still gets some benefit from Abilify, it seems like that, but it could be one of those lucky drugs that helps one in a hundred ME/CFS patients. I was about to pursue a prescription on Abilify, but now I'm not so sure, might ask about pramipexole instead .
Abilify is still working for me me I'm taking 3 mg I also asked Janet via Twitter if Whitney is still getting benefits and she said yes

hmnr asg

I was doing well on 1 mg but I felt the benefits started to dwindle so I went up to 2 mg and that was not a good decision at all. I started to revert back to baseline. Decided to go off and restart again hoping I can recreate my initial gains. Currently suffering withdrawals.

leokitten

TBH I wouldn’t expect it to have any different result for you the second time than it did the first time. How long did it work for you before the benefits started diminishing? A month?

hmnr asg

TBH I wouldn’t expect it to have any different result for you the second time than it did the first time. How long did it work for you before the benefits started diminishing? A month?
I dont expect a different result, I am ok if i can get another two months of big improvements again. I'm hoping cycling the med like this will reproduce the initial boost. But i may be wrong.

leokitten

I dont expect a different result, I am ok if i can get another two months of big improvements again. I'm hoping cycling the med like this will reproduce the initial boost. But i may be wrong.

The problem is at the most you are getting two months of improvement, followed by probably a month of slowly tapering the dosage and feeling shit and being worse, followed by another month or more after the last dose to fully get the drug out of your system due to the very long half life of the drug and it’s major metabolite and feeling worse here too.

Two months of improvements (and that’s with the big assumption you will get that again) followed by two months being far worse is a zero sum game or worse a negative sum game, so to me doesn’t make sense unless you are getting improvements for much longer than two months.

hmnr asg

The problem is at the most you are getting two months of improvement, followed by probably a month of slowly tapering the dosage and feeling shit and being worse, followed by another month or more after the last dose to fully get the drug out of your system due to the very long half life of the drug and it’s major metabolite and feeling worse here too.

Two months of improvements (and that’s with the big assumption you will get that again) followed by two months being far worse is a zero sum game or worse a negative sum game, so to me doesn’t make sense unless you are getting improvements for much longer than two months.
I guess we will find out if it is a zero sum game or not! if i feel like shit (more so than usual) for two months, and then i get the same two months that I had originally, then i say its worth it. But if i cant recreate the same two months I think it would have been a loss.

Also if i hadnt jumped to 2 mg I think I could have extended that initial gain to another two months, probably without as much improvements, but with enough that it would justify staying on it.

Regardless, I will find out what happens and will update everyone at the end of this experiment.