• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify- Stanford Clinic Patients

hmnr asg

Sarcasm? :lol: If not I wrote “decent period of time”. There have been countless individual reports of pretty much everything causing big improvements for a few days to weeks. But to me these are all background noise because none of them were ever reproducible.

Definitely not sarcasm! I will send you a picture of my fridge if you want as proof!
So I made this green smoothie with: kale, spinach, celery, carrots, uncooked beets, rolled oats and avacados. This combination lifted some of my brain fog after a day but on the second day I would either crash for some reason or just not be able to eat this awful concoction. I am trying again but replacing a single meal so i can get used to the awful taste. I am not sure if this means im gluten insensitive, or cant stomach carbs or meat or .. But its definitely worth investigating for me since it had a dramatic effect the few times i tried to switch to this directly.

As far as reproducibility, that is a hopeless cause. First of all CFS is probably the most heterogeneous illness, and second, the things we are trying are merely band-aid solutions, so they work differently depending on many factors.

hmnr asg

I will try dopamine agonists despite your negativity... if you’re right there is hardly no reason to exist
I like to say that I believe in my own intuition that the root cause is the part of the brain that has to do with reward. i.e., basal ganglia and the dopamine neurotransmitter. I have no scientific proof for it other than my own intuition. I noticed a marked absence of any feeling of "reward" or positive reinforcement after my cfs started. So that is when i concluded this has to be a big part of the picture (i might be 300% wrong but its my intuition, and hek nobody has any scientific explanation anyways so i will stick with my own experience).

Also @Martin aka paused||M.E. , there is plenty of reason to exist. Live today to fight tomorrow. You and I are both youngish and even if nothing works we need to hang around until a day when they find a cure. I for one will not give up even if it means I will have to spend 30 years in a dark bedroom so that one day I can come out and live the rest of my life after they find a cure.

And with all these long covids you will see huge investment in this illness after the tides of Covid die down. So finally things will start moving.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I like to say that I believe in my own intuition that the root cause is the part of the brain that has to do with reward. i.e., basal ganglia and the dopamine neurotransmitter. I have no scientific proof for it other than my own intuition. I noticed a marked absence of any feeling of "reward" or positive reinforcement after my cfs started. So that is when i concluded this has to be a big part of the picture (i might be 300% wrong but its my intuition, and hek nobody has any scientific explanation anyways so i will stick with my own experience).

Also @Martin aka paused||M.E. , there is plenty of reason to exist. Live today to fight tomorrow. You and I are both youngish and even if nothing works we need to hang around until a day when they find a cure. I for one will not give up even if it means I will have to spend 30 years in a dark bedroom so that one day I can come out and live the rest of my life after they find a cure.

And with all these long covids you will see huge investment in this illness after the tides of Covid die down. So finally things will start moving.
I don’t say I’d kill myself, I wouldn’t... just saying that I’d lose everything I love

Martin aka paused||M.E.

As so many have said to me years ago, there might definitely come a time where the choice of being able to work is taken away from you by ME, and it can happen suddenly.

I just worry a bit if you aren’t mentally prepared for that, to adjust so that you are happy enough with a life sans work.

For years I felt the same, that my career as a scientist was a cornerstone of my being and life. But over the last couple years as I kept declining I started preparing mentally and now that I cannot do almost any work at all I’m settled that I have to make the most of this new life.
If I’m here on PR and watching Netflix or working is the same amount of exercise for me... because my job is my biggest joy (except from love of course)

leokitten

im in exactly the same boat as @Martin aka paused||M.E. , my job is my life and I have been sick since 2010 and have tried EVERYTHING !
If I lose my job I also see no point in my existence. So I will keep trying things and searching until I find a treatment.

As so many have said to me years ago, there might definitely come a time where the choice of being able to work is taken away from you by ME, and it can happen suddenly.

I just worry a bit if you aren’t mentally prepared for that, to adjust so that you are happy enough with a life sans work.

For years I felt the same, that my career as a scientist was a cornerstone of my being and life. But over the last couple years as I kept declining I started preparing mentally and now that I cannot do almost any work at all I’m settled that I have to make the most of this new life.

I’m lucky it happened slowly to give me time to psychologically work through it, but for many others where it happened suddenly it was devastating.

Last edited:

leokitten

As far as reproducibility, that is a hopeless cause. First of all CFS is probably the most heterogeneous illness, and second, the things we are trying are merely band-aid solutions, so they work differently depending on many factors.

Antivirals, low-carb, and abilify have shown some reproducibility. I think Abilify would have more anecdotal positive reports here on PR and S4ME for at least a temporary major improvement, but most people don’t want to try it given the rare possible side effects and seeing now that the effects might only last a couple months.

Btw I will be trialing it next month or beginning of Jan, I’m just in not in any rush, even if it only works for a couple months I want to provide another data point and experience.

Last edited:

hmnr asg

I went to university for 14 years! My PhD took 7 years because my CFS started in the middle of it. My entire life before CFS was my research work and cycling/yoga/swimming. I used to have a jammed pack schedule.
Now with CFS the working out is gone. Also, arthritis has affected multiple joints for me after my cfs started, I even had to have a hip surgery. So even if they find a cure today I cant get back to doing sports.
But a semblance of my old career still remains and thank god to work from home after covid I can still do some work even though im severely underemployed. With that gone, I am going to have a really hard time! I know I have to start preparing for that day because its coming soon but its not easy.

leokitten

But a semblance of my old career still remains and thank god to work from home after covid I can still do some work even though im severely underemployed. With that gone, I am going to have a really hard time! I know I have to start preparing for that day because its coming soon but its not easy

Yep probably in 6 months or so telework might go away.

bread.

Coincidentally, the need to de-sensitize Dopamine auto receptors was realised by the late Dr. Goldstein more than 20 years ago:

"I am ineluctably drawn to the conclusion that DA receptors are dysfunctional in neurosomatic disorders. The primary dysfunction appears to be in the NAc DA autoreceptor, which may be D2/D3 in type (Shafer RA, Levant B, 1998)."

"It pains me to write this, but the situation is more complicated than I have just described. Presynaptic DA may be totally depleted or the mechanism by which stored DA moves to the edge of the presynaptic membrane where it is secreted (the “ready-releasable pool”) may be dysfunctional.

Neither of these explanations can account for the rapid symptom fluctua- tions commonly seen in neurosomatic disorders and certainly could not demonstrate why increasing DA transmitters can cause a relapse. These phenomena can be interpreted, however, as stemming from hypersensitivity of the DA autoreceptor.

What is an autoreceptor? The presynaptic neuron, which secretes most transmitters, must have a mechanism to sense how much transmitter it has secreted (i.e., how much is in the synapse). How autoreceptors themselves are regulated is imperfectly understood, but calcium ions are thought to be involved. Calcium is perhaps the most important intracellular regulating el- ement.

If the DA autoreceptor is hypersensitive, small amounts of secreted DA will result in a marked decrease of further DA secretion. Such a scenario may be applicable to patients with neurosomatic disorders. An ideal drug, therefore, would block the DA autoreceptor and “fool” the neuron so that a low DA concentration is sensed in the surrounding environment. "

"In a hyperglutamatergic state, as I have postulated for neurosomatic disorders, the D2 and other autoreceptors would be hypersensitive, limiting DA secretion in the phasic phase which is more relevant to human behavior. Indeed,"
@HTester

S-VV

I think that the experiences described in this thread add further evidence that M.E. is in part or in whole a neurological (NOT psychological) disease. Here are some facts that point in this direction:

-Both physical and mental effort produce a similar PEM response: This should immediately discard any mitochondrial hypothesis. The performance of neuronal mitochondria has no bearing on the mitochondria of the feet, yet pain after mental exercise is widespread.

-No clear, consistent mitochondrial damage or alterations in energy pathways: Non-replicable slight alterations in pathways are found, and while lactate is elevated in a subgroup, it is not related to symptom burden. Mitochondrial interventions don't show any promising long-term results, while in true mite-disease patients, even just Vit. C, Vit. E and CoQ10 have a noticeable and consistent benefit.

-Onset is sudden: Again, the mitochondria in the whole body don't suddenly stop working in a matter of hours, unless you are being poisoned by cyanide. Even immunological reactions have the acute onset measured in hours (see Steven-Johnsons Syndrome). Only the nervous system allows for a rapid change that affects the whole body. Consider also the people that experience sudden remission after a bee sting or after having general anaesthesia. Only the CNS works in such constrained timeframes.

-Interventions suddenly stop working: This only happens when there is a strong and very well regulated negative feedback mechanism, and the only system in the body that has this is the nervous system. Corticosteroids don't suddenly stop working in autoimmunity patients, hormones don't stop working in a matter of hours in endocrine deficiency, Dichloroacetate doesn't stop working in PDH deficiency (a true mitochondrial disease) etc..

-Lacklustre cytokine studies: Much wasted money, and no results in cytokines. Yes, TGF-b is slightly elevated, but this is more related to the TGF/NGF pain-axis. There is no clear evidence of elevated inflammatory markers that is in proportion to the disabling symptoms experienced by PwME. In fact ERS is lowered, and there is IgG deficiency.

-No T-cell clonal expansion and no clear autoantibodies: No results yet after many years of searching. Again, some studies find a slight change, but we have to keep in mind that the severity of the symptoms needs to be in proportion to the physiological aberration discovered if it is to be relevant.

-Nimodipine works for a subgroup and for some people even blocks PEM: Nimodipine blocks L-type calcium channels selectively in the brain. While this results in increased vasolidation, many other vasodilatory substances don't have any effect. L-type calcium channel blockade reduces excessive excitatory tone in CNS neurons.

-GABAergic medications provide temporary relief: For example Whitney with Atvian, or many people with gabapentin (or pregabalin etc..). However, tolerance quickly develops.

-Dopaminergic substances work: Goldstein elaborated on this, and he also predicted that the biggest obstacle would be tolerance development.

-Anti-epileptic/ substances work: There are many anecdotal reports of topiramate, lamotrigine etc... working, until tolerance develops. Again, Goldstein wrote extensively both about why they work, and why they stop working.

-Antidepressants sometimes work: This is a very controversial topic, but it is no coincidence that the antidepressants shown to help neuropathy also help with M.E. It has nothing to do with mood, but with biological mechanisms.

It is therefore imperative that the role of excessive Glutamate (the main thesis of Goldstein) be investigated, because as far as I know, he is the doctor with the best track record, and the only doctor that could consistently achieve symptomatic remission.

The root cause of M.E. may be somewhere else, maybe in the gut, maybe in immunologically derived exosomes... who knows. But the CLINICAL picture clearly points to the nervous system, and what we need is not a 20 year long crusade to find the primun moves of M.E., we need CLINICAL improvement of symptoms.

Yuno

Regarding epilepsy meds, @Badpack mentioned that phenytoin worked for him.
Lucinda Bateman says she uses topimarate on some patients . That’s the matrix Goldstein developed and used treating his patients.
BD63890E-E00C-40EF-94B1-F252D293C7D3.png
BD63890E-E00C-40EF-94B1-F252D293C7D3.png

Last edited:

jaybee00

Don’t know if I understand this diagram, but some have suggested that ketamine might reset various receptors in your brain, thus perhaps overcoming tachyphlaxis or poop out of certain drugs with neurological effects.

hmnr asg

Don’t know if I understand this diagram, but some have suggested that ketamine might reset various receptors in your brain, thus perhaps overcoming tachyphlaxis or poop out of certain drugs with neurological effects.
There are a few threads about ketamine. I had a ketamine infusion myself. The benefits lasted only a few days.

hmnr asg

What were the benefits? No fatigue?
During the infusion i had an amazing, almost spiritual experience. I was an egyptian pharaoh in a sarcophagus travelling through time (i am not making this up).

Afterwards for maybe three days I felt no anxiety and no CFS symptoms. But this is when I wasnt as severe.
This was part of a clinical trial at Stanford for the effects of ketamine on OCD. The infusion was administered while I was in an MRI machine and had to carry out some tasks:
https://med.stanford.edu/rodriguezlab/research/ocd-research/mket-study.html