• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify- Stanford Clinic Patients

leokitten

Thinking of taking an dopamine agonist like Pramipexole... helped at least one patient here

My only concern with dopamine agonists is I’m not a fan of taking any drug for ME that requires months or more of slow tapering to quit in order to reduce the chance of heinous withdrawal effects. That would be hell on top of everything with ME I couldn’t deal, and having ME things can happen where you have to stop taking a med quickly.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

My only concern with dopamine agonists is I’m not a fan of taking any drug for ME that requires months or more of slow tapering to quit in order to reduce the chance of heinous withdrawal effects. That would be hell on top of everything with ME I couldn’t deal, and having ME things can happen where you have to stop taking a med quickly.
Any better idea? Apart from pacing?

leokitten

Any better idea? Apart from pacing?

The only other treatment that has given some people significant improvements like Abilify are low-carb diets. It worked in an astounding way for me for a few months but I overexerted and crashed too much and then benefits slowly became less and less.

A few supplements have been shown to help a little bit with PEM such as very high dose CoQ10, etc, but supplements only do a little if they work at all. Sorry Martin unfortunately this is sadly the problem. There isn’t much of anything that really works broadly enough across most symptoms to get some of our old lives back. I am in bed or housebound all day every day and I’ve come to terms with that after years of trying to fight it with countless treatments and losing.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I'm not new to this illness my dear. I have tried every diet, supplement and so on. I’m ill since 2013 ... the only thing that keeps me alive is my job, I don’t have anything else anymore that brings me joy.
Abilify was great until it stopped working. So I won’t give up finding sth similar

leokitten

I'm not new to this illness my dear. I have tried every diet, supplement and so on. I’m ill since 2013 ... the only thing that keeps me alive is my job, I don’t have anything else anymore that brings me joy.
Abilify was great until it stopped working. So I won’t give up finding sth similar

I know Martin, sorry I didn’t imply you haven’t also been through it, I was just answering your question. There currently isn’t anything else that works like Abilify, and there are many other people searching and trying stuff. Right now and maybe for a while there won’t be anything.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

I know Martin, sorry I didn’t imply you haven’t also been through it, I was just answering your question. There currently isn’t anything else that works like Abilify, and there are many other people searching and trying stuff. Right now and maybe for a while there won’t be anything.
We will see ... if you’re right I’m lost completely!

leokitten

We will see ... if you’re right I’m lost completely!

In the last 10 years (at least), I believe there have been only three treatments that were above background noise and anecdotally significantly improved most or all symptoms, for at least a decent period of time, or resulted in remission in a subset of pwME: antivirals, low-carb, abilify.

I might not be remembering something else but I believe that’s it. Supplements maybe helped with a couple symptoms but I’ve never seen supplements produce improvement across all symptoms or a remission in more than a handful of at all.

I know there’s been ampligen and rituximab too but these are not accessible to most $$$.

So it tends to be that treatments worth trying that are accessible don’t get discovered often.

hmnr asg

In the last 10 years (at least), I believe there have been only three treatments that were above background noise and anecdotally significantly improved most or all symptoms, for at least a decent period of time, or resulted in remission in a subset of pwME: antivirals, low-carb, abilify.

I might not be remembering something else but I believe that’s it. Supplements maybe helped with a couple symptoms but I’ve never seen supplements produce improvement across all symptoms or a remission in more than a handful of at all.

I know there’s been ampligen and rituximab too but these are not accessible to most $$$.

So it tends to be that treatments worth trying that are accessible don’t get discovered often.
I tried green smoothies for a few days and it worked wonders for me. But I just couldnt stomach it. I am trying to get back these days.

leokitten

I tried green smoothies for a few days and it worked wonders for me. But I just couldnt stomach it. I am trying to get back these days.

Sarcasm? :lol: If not I wrote “decent period of time”. There have been countless individual reports of pretty much everything causing big improvements for a few days to weeks. But to me these are all background noise because none of them were ever reproducible.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Sarcasm? :lol: If not I wrote “decent period of time”. There have been countless individual reports of pretty much everything causing big improvements for a few days to weeks. But to me these are all background noise because none of them were ever reproducible.
I will try dopamine agonists despite your negativity... if you’re right there is hardly no reason to exist

Back