• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Abilify- Stanford Clinic Patients

leokitten

There’s also Ostuka’s successor to aripiprazole, brexipiprazole https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexpiprazole

It has different pharmacology and properties, but does have partial agonism at dopamine and serotonin receptors. Here’s an interesting excerpt from Wikipedia, where it describes that brexipiprazole works differently than aripiprazole on dopamine receptors at low doses.
Partial agonists have both blocking properties and stimulating properties at the receptor they bind to. The ratio of blocking activity to stimulating activity determines a portion of its clinical effects. Brexpiprazole has more blocking and less stimulating activity at the dopamine receptors than its predecessor, aripiprazole, which may decrease its risk for agitation and restlessness.[11] Specifically, where aripiprazole has an intrinsic activity or agonist effect at the D2 receptor of 60%+, brexpiprazole has an intrinsic activity at the same receptor of about 45%. For aripiprazole, this means more dopamine receptor activation at lower doses, with blockade being reached at higher doses, whereas brexpiprazole is the opposite. By contrast, brexpiprazole has a much higher affinity for the 5-HT1A receptor than aripiprazole as well as a much higher intrinsic activity. In vivo characterization of brexpiprazole shows that it may act as a near-full agonist of the 5-HT1A receptor.

Martin aka paused||M.E.

There’s also Ostuka’s successor to aripiprazole, brexipiprazole https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brexpiprazole

It has different pharmacology and properties, but does have partial agonism at dopamine and serotonin receptors. Here’s an interesting excerpt from Wikipedia, where it describes that brexipiprazole works differently than aripiprazole on dopamine receptors at low doses.
But that sounds like you have to take it full dose to get the agonist effect

leokitten

(≥1/10) Diskinesia ... this is crazy!

With both pramipexole and ropinirole the dyskinesia possible side effect is not tardive dyskinesia, it’s just regular dyskinesia from too high a dose. So it will go away once you lower the dose or stop taking the med.

Really the only major concern for these two modern dopamine agonists is, like other psychotropic drugs that alter brain systems, they alter the dopamine neurotransmitter system and wiring.

So eventually the brain becomes accustomed to them and if you lower the dose or stop taking it you will get dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome (DAWS), which to me is the medical euphemism for coming off some light speed or meth? :woot:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

With both pramipexole and ropinirole the dyskinesia possible side effect is not tardive dyskinesia, it’s just regular dyskinesia from too high a dose. So it will go away once you lower the dose or stop taking the med.

Really the only major concern for these two modern dopamine agonists is, like other psychotropic drugs that alter brain systems, they alter the dopamine neurotransmitter system and wiring.

So eventually the brain becomes accustomed to them and if you lower the dose or stop taking it you will get dopamine agonist withdrawal syndrome (DAWS), which to me is the medical euphemism for coming off some light speed or meth? :woot:
The thing is I would try it but it’s still a theory that dopamine has sth to do with ME

jaybee00

I’m guessing Abilify is effective for about 100 days— like 3-4 months or so.

The key thing for me was that Abilify got me out of bed early in the morning—like 7am or so. Lately I’m back to like 11am/noon etc. Sucks.

Last edited:

leokitten

I’m guessing Abilify lasts about 100 days— like 3-4 months or so.

The key thing for me was that Abilify got me out of bed early in the morning—like 7am or so. Lately I’m back to like 11am/noon etc. Sucks.

Are you still taking it? At what dose?

stefanosstef

@leokitten Yeah I'm doing the Fawcett's protocol. My working dosage is 2.1mg (3x0.7mg) and I believe they way this and Aripiprazole work is by lowering neuroinflammation, a lot.
Unfortunately my recent blood test showed minor increase in liver enzymes and it must be from the pramipexole since it's in its side effects and I'm not taking anything else, apart from LDN.

I'm waiting for my neurologist's opinion but I don't see how I can continue taking it.
I do consider Aripiprazole, it was next in my list after pramipexole anyway, since I've read Hip's thread because his and a couple of others' experiences convinced me.

I am not worried about the side effects of the typical dosage (TD etc). What worries me is its impact on male hormones.

@leokitten you mentioned some videos a few posts back, can you post a link?I can't find them.

stefanosstef

Why does a minor increase matter? Happens with a lot of drugs and even if it’s above the normal range if AST and ALT are only somewhat higher it’s no big deal.
I hope so.I'll see what the doctor says and I'll certainly get some liver support, milk thistle

Back