• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone: ALJ / SSA Gives Fully Favorable Decision but Denies Back Pay

The Administrative Law Judge rendered a fully favorable decision back in early May. But he did not approve my attorney's fee agreement. He stated, "You appointed more than one representative from a law firm, or other business; all your representatives did not sign a single fee agreement; and the representative(s) who did not sign the fee agreement, did not waive charging and collecting a fee."

What happened is I signed a fee agreement with the owner of the law firm. Later, they appointed an attorney to my case and I subsequently signed a fee agreement with her. This doesn't seem unusual to me. Law firms often have many attorneys, right?

So my entire claim for back pay is held up owing to the $6000 attorney fee. The back pay is a large sum of money.

So the law firm filed an objection. And it was recently denied! Now SSA made the law firm file a fee petition, along with proof of the work that they did on my case and hours that they spent, plus the two signed fee agreements -- the latter being signed by the law firm owner, my attorney, and me.

It is going to take SSA another few months to review this. Unbelievable. I should get interest on my money form them.

In the meantime, the IRS sends me a letter because I amended a previous years taxes. My account did all of the work and determined that I owed another $160 or so, which I paid. The IRS letter states that they reviewed my taxes and I owe them $1600+ with interest and penalties and they want it by mid October. They never even explained their calculation! My account called them and they would not speak to him without a power of attorney. I called and was placed on hold for an hour and no one ever came on the line.

What a bunch of criminals.

UPDATE: I called the IRS again and sat on hold for 90-minutes. Finally, I got an agent who could not have been less interested in talking to me. She would not give me any useful information and told me they'd mail a detailed transcript of the return. So I said to hell with this, gave my account a PoA and told him to handle it. He also waited on hold for 90-minutes and they told him that they did not accept some of my schedule C deductions. I said What ??? I've never heard of such a thing. My accountant said he's never heard of it, either. So, I am waiting on the transcript so I can give ti to the accountant and see if they made a mistake or if we can challenge them.

A**Hats!!!
Reactions: alkt

Comments

Blog entry information

Author
I AM
Read time
2 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs