• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

From My Commonplace Book - 12 - very short story

Safe Love

by Lydia Davis

She was in love with her son's pediatrician. Alone out in the country -- could anyone blame her.

There was an element of grand passion in this love. It was also a safe thing. The man was on the other side of a barrier. Between him and her: the child on the examining table, the office itself, the staff, his wife, her husband, his stethoscope, his beard, her breasts, his glasses, her glasses, etc.

Many of these little prose pieces that Lydia Davis writes I would be inclined to call prose poems, but she insists that they are stories. And who am I to argue with Lydia Davis?

"Safe Love" is from her collection
Break It Down.

Comments

Can't look at your summary Merry without being much amused and feel your own humour. A joy to see..

Blog entry information

Author
Merry
Read time
1 min read
Views
Comments
Last update

More entries in User Blogs

More entries from Merry