• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

    Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

    To register, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Would you buy a home that needs low level mold remediation? Asking people who are mold sensitive/toxic...

taniaaust1

Senior Member
Messages
13,054
Location
Sth Australia
WWYD -- What Would You Do? To those who are mold sensitive...

I am in the process of buying a house and the mold and mycotoxins tests (Realtime Labs) are being conducted Friday morning. Is there any level of mold or mycotoxin that you would remediate or would you walk away from the deal?

Do you have a mold and mycotoxin test done to every home that you consider living in? Have you ever found zero levels?

To those who have remediated their homes and possessions, what did it cost and what did it entail? Were you able to live in it afterwards or not?

Due to many I have not had the places I've lived in mold tested by my last home had a shocking mold issue and my current home also has a mold issue but connected to mostly just the one room.

I would not buy a home in which I was told needed mold remediation (im extremely mold sensitive since Ive had ME and have the worst genotype for mold sensitivity).

I looked into getting my last home treated and after a mold expert's advice, was told that ozone treatment (I hope I have that right) was the only thing which really could done in regards to fixing the issue due to the mold spores being in the air and I was quoted A LOT of money for that (I cant remember what it was but I think was a couple of thousand australian dollars).

I think mold may play a big part in some getting susceptable to ME seeing I got ME while living in an extremely mold affected house (I lived in a house which had no bathroom ventilation and had an incontenient disabled child who needed showering often.. along with the house having a roof leak which affected the whole house, my sister who also got ME was at the time living in a house which had a leaking pipe inside which cold severe mold issues.. my two sisters who have not got ME have never lived in mold affected houses).
 

I AM

Senior Member
Messages
101
Due to many I have not had the places I've lived in mold tested by my last home had a shocking mold issue and my current home also has a mold issue but connected to mostly just the one room.

I would not buy a home in which I was told needed mold remediation (im extremely mold sensitive since Ive had ME and have the worst genotype for mold sensitivity).

I looked into getting my last home treated and after a mold expert's advice, was told that ozone treatment (I hope I have that right) was the only thing which really could done in regards to fixing the issue due to the mold spores being in the air and I was quoted A LOT of money for that (I cant remember what it was but I think was a couple of thousand australian dollars).

I think mold may play a big part in some getting susceptable to ME seeing I got ME while living in an extremely mold affected house (I lived in a house which had no bathroom ventilation and had an incontenient disabled child who needed showering often.. along with the house having a roof leak which affected the whole house, my sister who also got ME was at the time living in a house which had a leaking pipe inside which cold severe mold issues.. my two sisters who have not got ME have never lived in mold affected houses).

Yes, to successfully and thoroughly remediate a house of mold and mycotoxins one needs tens of thousands of dollars. I know people go for 10-pass ozone treatments but I did not know that ozone can be done on a house. I read that according to the Environmental Protection Agency, (EPA), these ozone generators may very well add to indoor air pollution and even make indoor mold conditions worse.

It is very hard to know who to trust.
 

frozenborderline

Senior Member
Messages
4,405
There’s a difference between “ordinary” molds that people don’t react to, and molds which do make people sick. Your senses are the best guide. Not many tests on the market can show actual mycotoxin levels , or other indicators of the toxicity of a mold
 

I AM

Senior Member
Messages
101
There’s a difference between “ordinary” molds that people don’t react to, and molds which do make people sick. Your senses are the best guide. Not many tests on the market can show actual mycotoxin levels , or other indicators of the toxicity of a mold

Realtime Labs has an environmental mycotoxin test. And I believe, although I am not certain of it, that Mycometrics has one, as well. And I believe there is a third lab that does it but the name escapes me. These are the labs that I am seeing recommended by the mold expert doctors etc. It is very important to watch who you use for this sort of thing... lots of inspectors don't know what they are doing. Honestly the whole mold avoidance and mold remediation is daunting, confusing, and overwhelming. I cannot wait to be on the other side of this.
 

frozenborderline

Senior Member
Messages
4,405
Realtime Labs has an environmental mycotoxin test. And I believe, although I am not certain of it, that Mycometrics has one, as well. And I believe there is a third lab that does it but the name escapes me. These are the labs that I am seeing recommended by the mold expert doctors etc. It is very important to watch who you use for this sort of thing... lots of inspectors don't know what they are doing. Honestly the whole mold avoidance and mold remediation is daunting, confusing, and overwhelming. I cannot wait to be on the other side of this.
I don’t know that there’s any evidence behind the real-time labs test. I am aware that it exists but my point still stands. You simply have to trust your senses on it.
 

I AM

Senior Member
Messages
101
I don’t know that there’s any evidence behind the real-time labs test. I am aware that it exists but my point still stands. You simply have to trust your senses on it.
There is nothing simple about it. Not everyone is able to trust their senses immediately walking into a place or even spending an hour in it.
 

frozenborderline

Senior Member
Messages
4,405
There is nothing simple about it. Not everyone is able to trust their senses immediately walking into a place or even spending an hour in it.
Yes
There is nothing simple about it. Not everyone is able to trust their senses immediately walking into a place or even spending an hour in it.
its not easy. Sometimes reactions are delayed. Spending time in clear places can make one have more ability to sense which toxins are problematic but in lieu of this , asking others who are clear to help sniff out places is often the only option
 

I AM

Senior Member
Messages
101
I got the mold inspection back... the house is highly infested with several species of dangerous molds from bottom to top and there is rotting wood in the house as a result of water damage and too much moisture (humidity levels 80%). I told the realtor that I want out of the contract and my deposit refunded.