• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Whats a good effective form of B12 to get my levels up ? (my labs showed 114 pg/ml)

Bansaw

I took a blood test to find out B12 levels. My result was 114 pg/ml (normal range 180-914pg/ml).
What's a proven effective B12 supplement (brand/dose) that will help get my levels back to normal?

I developed type 2 diabetes a year ago, I think this has something to do with my depleted levels in part.

linusbert

you can inject hydroxocobalamin subcutaneous.

you can also take methyl- and/or adenosylcobalamin sublingual, very high doses like 1-5mg

maybe you want to take in addition a full spectrum multivitamin as taking a high dose of a isolated vitamin might sooner or later throw others out of balance.
in regards of b12 also folate and biotin and maybe b6, are tightly related

EDIT:
i just found a random video showing a SQ b12 injection. its german but audio doesnt really matter. the videos shows it all.

Last edited:

Bansaw

godlovesatrier

I still think b12oils.com is the best on the market tbh. But if your folate is low too maybe just take a sublingual like Mary was suggesting:
1666187261343.png

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Most B12 taken orally is absorbed in the gut by passive diffusion.
So all you need is high dose methyl B12 of any brand and chew/swallow it. 1000mcg and 5000mcg tablets are freely available and not expensive in most places. Unless you have free injections, either form works perfectly well.

Keep doing so for a month and your levels should be in the normal range.
Also your body can store 3-5 years worth of B12 so once you have a high level you can stop taking it and monitor on subsequent blood tests. Various sources recommend a level over 500.

godlovesatrier

I guess that works Alvin as long as the stomach hasn't stopped absorbing things properly.

Still Alvin is right Thorne b complex should work fine just takes longer to work. Whereas the b12oils.com is fairly immediate.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I guess that works Alvin as long as the stomach hasn't stopped absorbing things properly.

Still Alvin is right Thorne b complex should work fine just takes longer to work. Whereas the b12oils.com is fairly immediate.
Absorbed in the intestines, vs the stomach.

linusbert

don't the guts always absorb like 1% (depending on vitamin) via passive diffusion?

I still think b12oils.com is the best on the market tbh. But if your folate is low too maybe just take a sublingual like
checked the site, it has good information. learned a lot in like 2 minutes.
but how serious are they? it looks a bit like backyard garage sale. who runs it? and can we trust it to be good quality ingredients? somebody any experience? also products are quite pricey... is it worth the price?

they mention iodine is important. what to do if i am iodine deficient but also allergic to iodine? iodine is for me like copper, 2 compounds from hell.
but the synergy between B12 and B2, iodine, molybdenum, selenium is good to know.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Keep doing so for a month and your levels should be in the normal range.
Also your body can store 3-5 years worth of B12 so once you have a high level you can stop taking it and monitor on subsequent blood tests.
Maybe, maybe not. My blood values of B12 got quite high while supplementing but on hair analysis (ordered by my doctor) cobalamin was almost undetectable. Many here have trouble getting B12 into the cells despite high blood levels. So I keep taking it -

Tammy

I like liquid B12 by Global healing. It's mainly methylcobalamin with a little bit of adenosylcobalamin. They have other mixtures also I believe but those two forms are the ones I like best. Very clean supplement. Vimergy puts out a good one also (liquid)that combines methylcobalamin with adenosylcobalamin. Also clean with no additives.

Last edited:

Bansaw

thanks all... I got in touch with my doctor, and she recommended Pure Encapsulations Adenosyl/Hydroxy B12. Two forms because if I have methylation issues, at least one of the two will work.
My question is: can I take also B12 Drops Methylcobalamin on the same day as I'm taking the Adeno/Hydroxy B12?

Tammy

My question is: can I take also B12 Drops Methylcobalamin on the same day as I'm taking the Adeno/Hydroxy B12?
Yes, I believe global healing makes a liquid B12 with all 3 forms mixed together that you could consider in the future for convenience.