Video Dr. Byron Hyde - Enterovirus theory?

Hip

do any of the drs treating enterovirus differ their treatment depending on what type of enterovirus is found?
Dr Chia uses oxymatrine for all enteroviruses. He also uses Epivir (lamivudine) for enterovirus infection, although he found Epivir is not effective for echovirus 6 and 7. Ref: 1

And although he does not use it, he found that ribavirin is effective for CVB3 and CVB5, but not CVB4. Ref: 1 (see timecode 42:31)

halcyon

I'm curious what Dr Ron Davis and his team may be Thinking about enterovirus. Perhaps Jaime knows. I'm not sure how to tag folks.
I've been trying to get an answer to this question for months and months. I've tried via email, twitter, and here with no luck.

There is very solid evidence, over two dozen studies, linking this disease to enteroviruses. The epidemiology fits. Several studies, replicated in recent years by Dr. Chia, have shown consistently elevated neutralizing enterovirus antibodies in ME patients. Knowing this evidence exists, one would think it would be one of the first things OMF would try to replicate in their study, but they haven't. In fact, they have opted to perform serology testing for literally everything except enteroviruses. I can see no reasonable reason why this decision was made. This is a huge omission. Yes, one can argue that serology is largely meaningless, but OMF cannot argue they believe this while also spending considerable money performing serology for everything else but enteroviruses.

They have claimed that they will perform digital PCR assays on blood looking for enterovirus, but the last I heard of this was that they needed to develop the primers to do so. It's unclear why they believe existing commercially available, off the shelf validated PCR primers are not adequate for this. It's unclear how they are validating these primers. It's unclear if these new primers will detect the mutated enterovirus strains found in ME patients (ref). It's unclear how they are collecting, transporting, storing, and processing the blood samples for this. It's unclear whether they are using RNA preservatives at time of blood draw to preserve the integrity of viral RNA in the samples. It's unclear what blood compartments are being tested.

In the most recently posted video, Davis appears to refute the idea that there could be an active tissue infection, with very limited spillover into the blood, so he appears to be willing to deny the numerous studies that exist showing abnormal, non-cytolytic enterovirus infection in the muscle, GI tract, and brains of ME patients. I assume this means that he has no interest in replicating these numerous studies with tissue testing.

If you can get any answers, please do share them.

perrier

I've been trying to get an answer to this question for months and months. I've tried via email, twitter, and here with no luck.

There is very solid evidence, over two dozen studies, linking this disease to enteroviruses. The epidemiology fits. Several studies, replicated in recent years by Dr. Chia, have shown consistently elevated neutralizing enterovirus antibodies in ME patients. Knowing this evidence exists, one would think it would be one of the first things OMF would try to replicate in their study, but they haven't. In fact, they have opted to perform serology testing for literally everything except enteroviruses. I can see no reasonable reason why this decision was made. This is a huge omission. Yes, one can argue that serology is largely meaningless, but OMF cannot argue they believe this while also spending considerable money performing serology for everything else but enteroviruses.

They have claimed that they will perform digital PCR assays on blood looking for enterovirus, but the last I heard of this was that they needed to develop the primers to do so. It's unclear why they believe existing commercially available, off the shelf validated PCR primers are not adequate for this. It's unclear how they are validating these primers. It's unclear if these new primers will detect the mutated enterovirus strains found in ME patients (ref). It's unclear how they are collecting, transporting, storing, and processing the blood samples for this. It's unclear whether they are using RNA preservatives at time of blood draw to preserve the integrity of viral RNA in the samples. It's unclear what blood compartments are being tested.

In the most recently posted video, Davis appears to refute the idea that there could be an active tissue infection, with very limited spillover into the blood, so he appears to be willing to deny the numerous studies that exist showing abnormal, non-cytolytic enterovirus infection in the muscle, GI tract, and brains of ME patients. I assume this means that he has no interest in replicating these numerous studies with tissue testing.

If you can get any answers, please do share them.
Thank you..perhaps Jaime knows more. My daughter was positive on stomach biopsy for enterovirus. Dr chia is a well respected physician. Surely, he and Byron Hyde must have made the case to OMF. I know that Dr Naviaux has met DR Hyde. Is there anyone with more information.

In my opinion Dr Hyde is a genius and I have been quoting and following his work for years but it seems his work is beyond the understanding of many medical professionals as they are told what to believe and his work falls outside their remit.

Dechi

I’m seeing Dr Hyde in a few weeks. If I can remember, I’ll try and ask if he’s talked with anybody at OMF about enterovirus infections.

knackers323

Not that I am aware of.
Ok thanks. I had been having some results with it and then it started causing a very sore throat and cold symptoms which are known side effects.

Does it reduce the level of functioning of the immune system?

I took a few days off and the side effects subsided. On restarting I noticed a slight boost within hours of taking the medication, as I had with a number of doses previously, so it either acts very fast or it seems it must have some immune modulating effects

I’m seeing Dr Hyde in a few weeks. If I can remember, I’ll try and ask if he’s talked with anybody at OMF about enterovirus infections.
Thank you so much and I wish you well with your appointment and please take a look at http://www.hfme.org/
where most of his works are published it makes very good reading. If possible please ask him if he would see me as a email patient? :)

For anyone interested Dr. Byron Hyde and Dr. Kenny De Meirleir are two of the best-known names in the field of researching CFS/ME. Dr. Hyde is the director of the Nightingale Research Foundation located in Ottawa, Canada. His book, The Clinical and Scientific Basis of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndromeremains the most comprehensive collection of scientific and clinical studies on CFS/ME ever published.

http://www.cfstreatmentguide.com/blog/interview-with-dr-byron-hyde-and-dr-kenny-de-meirleir

Paralee

Why am I wondering about secretors vs. non-secretors? Any possible connection? I have some things I'm wondering about that play both sides.