• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tiny amounts of glutathione make me tired

Glutathione is a double-edged sword for me. I have to take a tiny amount of liposomal glutathione (like less than a drop) and cycle it on and off each day to get any benefit. Even then, its really had to get right, and much of the time it makes me tired and irritable.

When I do get it dialed in, I feel really awesome and am in a good mood. I've also tried NAC and experience the same effects.

I've been taking activated charcoal and Cholestyramine to help with mycotoxin detox, I thought this would help, but it doesn't seem to make taking glutathione easier.

I know glutathione is really important for detox pathways and I'm wondering why I'm so sensitive to it. It seems my body is lacking it.

Has anyone else had this experience? What else should I look into?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Are you sensitive to other sulfur things like MSM, NAC, or sulfur foods like garlic, onions, eggs, spinach, chocolate?

Andy Cutler called them Thiols and many react to them. I found out about them because one day I realized 3 people in my family (me included) are sensitive to sulfur foods and drugs, etc and wondered why. I get headaches if I eat them more than 1-2 month.

Here is a website that explains it pretty well: https://www.leavesoflife.com/sulfur-supplement-and-food-lists/

LINE

Good point that Judee brings up - reaction to sulfur can occur from having sulfur reducing bacteria in the gut.

I had problems with it (liposomal form which was the only form that worked), I had to back off until I dislodged the toxins. Activated charcoal is a potent scavenger but I would take a good shot of it (2+ teaspoons), Pascalite clay is another good one.

Other theory would be missing pathways in the detoxification Phases, in other words, you might be missing some nutrients. https://www.healthrising.org/forums/threads/pretty-liver-detox-graphic.3926/

that is a really interesting point about sulfur. How does one know they have sulfur sensitivity and how is it typically treated?

LINE

My opinion is that using comparatives would be adequate. In other words, find the foods that are sulfur containing and eliminate for a few days and check yourself then add some of those for a few days and see if the condition worsens.

Critterina

It seemed to cause swelling (edema that shows up on the scale) for me, and I'm not sulfur sensitive. I tried escalating doses. I'll be trying again, but my doc wants me at 500 mg for the duration of my detox. Milk thistle may be an alternative (if my memory serves me.)