• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Gestalt

Do you guys know your Fucose genetics?

I am "GG" for rs601338 so therefore I have the gene and am a Fucose secretor.

I'm getting my n-acetylglucosamine from a chitin polymer source....

...As I mentioned there are some more benefits of soil based organisms that I am exploring, and one of them relates to the snzymatic capacity to synthesize N-acetylgalactosamine. Our microbes have extensive capabilities involved in maintaining these cells, you just need to find the right combinations, I happen to think that these prebiotics may be essential. I'm having good results, but this is some strong stuff.

@Vegas What product is your chitin polymer source? And which bacteria are the ones that create N-acetylgalactosamine?

lizw118

Hi everyone,
I have been doing the RS thing for a couple of weeks and it does seem to have some benefits. I am also interested in adding something like NAG or D Mannose. However, when I have done this in the past, I felt great at first, but then those supplements seemed to feed a pathogenic sinus thing. I have awful sinus issues. The NAG actually helped at first then I got worse. I also have lyme disease so maybe that is the reason these supplements didn't work. Are these safe to take with lyme disease? Or are these fueling some pathogenic bacteria in my sinuses or brain?

Vegas

@Vegas What product is your chitin polymer source? And which bacteria are the ones that create N-acetylgalactosamine?

I will pm you on the first question.

Quite a few organisms have the capacity to interconvert UDP-GlcNAc and UDP-GALNAc. I became interested in this when studying glucuronidation and learning that a genetic condition impairing this interconversion was associated with something that shared features with autism, including liver dysfunction and purkinje cell damage. This was of particular interest to me when trying to understand why my daughter's speech development completely halted after vaccination. (Today she doesn't shut up). I think there is a role for some of these organisms that has biological relevance to humans, although this is unproven. To answer your question, a number of Bacillus species, including subtilis, and some others that I have not seen in probiotics, but have noticed to be conspicuously diminished in some with ME/CFS, have this particular capability. It is probably expressed in other organisms that participate in the nitrogen cycle, so think dirt, legumes, root vegetables. The niche for these organisms is starting to make more sense to me, but there are obvious interrelationships with those organisms that similarly participate in this larger process. Using humic acid may act as a prebiotic, it may be helpful.

Vegas

Hi everyone,
I have been doing the RS thing for a couple of weeks and it does seem to have some benefits. I am also interested in adding something like NAG or D Mannose. However, when I have done this in the past, I felt great at first, but then those supplements seemed to feed a pathogenic sinus thing. I have awful sinus issues. The NAG actually helped at first then I got worse. I also have lyme disease so maybe that is the reason these supplements didn't work. Are these safe to take with lyme disease? Or are these fueling some pathogenic bacteria in my sinuses or brain?

How did things go worse, specifically, if you are able to describe this?

What sort of NAG product did you use?

lizw118

@Vegas When I took the NAG (750 mg-Jarrow brand) at first I felt amazing and my sinus swelling went down. However, after a week or two a couple of issues surfaced. One is that I got a sinus infection which seemed to get worse when I took the NAG. I tried to wash my sinuses with a netipot, which made the infection worse. I had to go on two rounds of antibiotics, and each time, if I tried going back on the NAG, I would start getting the bleeding and discolored mucus, etc. It was some kind of staph infection. The next thing that happened is that I would get aches in certain joints and in my neck that I associate with lyme symptoms. I have read that NAG feeds the lyme bacteria, so I got paranoid and stopped taking it when that happened.
When I take the NAG, the beneficial effects are accompanied by a side effect of sweet smelling sweat. That always happens when I feel better and my body feels like it is working right. I feel like there is some sugar-related issue I have that is affecting my health and I am not sure how to fix it! I should also add that I get similar effects from D-mannose with my sinuses. But the D-mannose doesn't make me feel as good as the NAG

Gestalt

GG for rs601338 means no gene. Se would be AA/AG.

Semantic clarification, as you seem to be confusing the matter.

"GG" which I have means I have a functioning FUT2 gene meaning I am a fucose secretor.
"AG" also would be a functioning FUT2 gene.

23andme website said:
If you have two copies of the A version of this SNP, you lack a functioning FUT2 gene...

The FUT2 gene encodes an enzyme that modifies certain cell surface molecules so they can be expressed on cells or released into bodily fluids. If neither copy of the FUT2 gene is functional, a person will not produce these molecules on their digestive tract cells or in their bodily secretions –hence the term “non-secretor”.

This on the other hand means I do not have the gene for "norovirus resistance", as that is "AA" only. However in this particular context we don't care about norovirus resistance as we would rather be a fucose secretor to help support beneficial bacterial gut populations.

23andme website said:
In addition to conferring norovirus resistance, being a non-secretor has also been associated with resistance to other infections. Non-secretors may be less susceptible to HIV infection. But they may be at higher risk for infection with several types of bacteria, including strains of E. coli that cause urinary tract infections and viruses such as the flu.

Although a non-secretor woman will be resistant to norovirus, her child may pay the price if he or she is a not a norovirus resistant non-secretor (thanks to the father's genetic contribution). Research has shown that certain molecules in breast milk, which are not present in non-secretor women, may protect breast-fed infants from norovirus by binding virus particles before they can infect the baby’s cells and cause symptoms.

Last edited:

Gestalt

Hi everyone,

I have also tried experimenting with NAG. I tried large doses of 1 tsp. At first I thought it made me feel better, but then after a while my fatigue got worse. So I stopped it.

I also experimented with D-Mannose in the past, but there seemed to be no beneficial effects.

If you have Lyme I would avoid NAG. According to this link NAG is a critical nutrient for the Lyme bacteria so you are probably just feeding the lyme.

Characterization of N -acetylglucosamine utilization by the Lyme disease spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi
http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/dissertations/AAI3380537/

I have also tried experimenting with NAG. I tried large doses of 1 tsp. At first I thought it made me feel better, but then after a while my fatigue got worse. So I stopped it.

I also experimented with D-Mannose in the past, but there seemed to be no beneficial effects.

If you have Lyme I would avoid NAG. According to this link NAG is a critical nutrient for the Lyme bacteria so you are probably just feeding the lyme.

Characterization of N -acetylglucosamine utilization by the Lyme disease spirochete, Borrelia burgdorferi
http://digitalcommons.uri.edu/dissertations/AAI3380537/
Here I agree. I need to collect some more info still, before advising anything. And each of you might be different, careful, people.

The pathway is like this: Hyaluronic acid (your collagen and other tissues) get degraded by enzyme Hyaluronidase into smaller HA fragments (Acetylglucosamine). Not good.
It might be that these fragments are irritating your immune system, they are a danger signal. Help! And serving who knows what more purposes and uses.
My feeling would be that best is to stop the degradation by Hyaluronidase inhibitors, not supplementing anything.

Have you seen Echinacea? Is it not the perfect combo of what you need?

lizw118

Thanks Gestalt, Vegas and Gemma.
What a bummer. NAG makes my sinus swelling go down, which is so rare, but in the end makes everything worse. Lyme disease is such a bummer. But does it stand to reason that because NAG feeds lyme, any other glyconutrient would also feed the lyme bacteria? I wonder if I could try some different ones. I feel like my brain needs sugar. Maybe (ironically) because the lyme depleted the NAG? I don't know.

Vegas

@Vegas When I took the NAG (750 mg-Jarrow brand) at first I felt amazing and my sinus swelling went down. However, after a week or two a couple of issues surfaced. One is that I got a sinus infection which seemed to get worse when I took the NAG. I tried to wash my sinuses with a netipot, which made the infection worse. I had to go on two rounds of antibiotics, and each time, if I tried going back on the NAG, I would start getting the bleeding and discolored mucus, etc. It was some kind of staph infection. The next thing that happened is that I would get aches in certain joints and in my neck that I associate with lyme symptoms. I have read that NAG feeds the lyme bacteria, so I got paranoid and stopped taking it when that happened.
When I take the NAG, the beneficial effects are accompanied by a side effect of sweet smelling sweat. That always happens when I feel better and my body feels like it is working right. I feel like there is some sugar-related issue I have that is affecting my health and I am not sure how to fix it! I should also add that I get similar effects from D-mannose with my sinuses. But the D-mannose doesn't make me feel as good as the NAG

Paradoxical and counter-intuitive, don't you think?

I will readily accept your dismissal of this, but perhaps you initially experienced a heightened immune response versus a new infection and the ABs you used induced a true infection. In other words, sometimes a sinus cavity develops inflammation that is secondary to the immune response and patients treat it with AB's and more significant infections develop. Afterwards, you may have just "flamed" the immune response with the NAG. Do you have marked airborne allergies to mold & dust? Bleeding and discolored mucus sounds like the mucin layer is shedding, and this would not be coincidental.

Joints: been there, done this. Lyme? I don't think so. Do you have any notable food intolerances?

Sweet smelling sweat=acetaldehyde. I would venture a guess that this is dehydrogenation at work.

Mannose, is a hexose sugar. I know bifidobacteria do special things with these.

Sorry, I don't want to give you any advice that might make you worse. Perhaps you can send me some more info, and we can get some input from others.

Paradoxical and counter-intuitive, don't you think?

I will readily accept your dismissal of this, but perhaps you initially experienced a heightened immune response versus a new infection and the ABs you used induced a true infection. In other words, sometimes a sinus cavity develops inflammation that is secondary to the immune response and patients treat it with AB's and more significant infections develop. Afterwards, you may have just "flamed" the immune response with the NAG. Do you have marked airborne allergies to mold & dust? Bleeding and discolored mucus sounds like the mucin layer is shedding, and this would not be coincidental.

Joints: been there, done this. Lyme? I don't think so. Do you have any notable food intolerances?

Sweet smelling sweat=acetaldehyde. I would venture a guess that this is dehydrogenation at work.

Mannose, is a hexose sugar. I know bifidobacteria do special things with these.

Sorry, I don't want to give you any advice that might make you worse. Perhaps you can send me some more info, and we can get some input from others.

Okay, I am looking at it as feeding. What do you feed NAG to? First IT is very happy and stops eating you. You feel better. IT becomes bigger and starts growing even more. And IT is hungrier. What then?

Gestalt

I will readily accept your dismissal of this, but perhaps you initially experienced a heightened immune response versus a new infection and the ABs you used induced a true infection. In other words, sometimes a sinus cavity develops inflammation that is secondary to the immune response and patients treat it with AB's and more significant infections develop. Afterwards, you may have just "flamed" the immune response with the NAG. Do you have marked airborne allergies to mold & dust? Bleeding and discolored mucus sounds like the mucin layer is shedding, and this would not be coincidental. .

The fatigue effects I felt from taking NAG may have been fueling my candida issue. Consider the following:

"GlcNAc signaling is under investigation in the human fungal pathogen Candida albicans because it is a potent inducer of hyphal growth, whereas other sugars are not (2). GlcNAc induces two sets of responses that have significance for understanding the mechanisms of pathogenesis. One pathway stimulates C. albicans to switch from budding to hyphal growth and to induce expression of virulence genes." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3190674/

Vegas

Okay, I am looking at it as feeding. What do you feed NAG to? First IT is very happy and stops eating you. You feel better. IT becomes bigger and starts growing even more. And IT is hungrier. What then?

Cluster XIVa butyrate-producing colonic bacteria.

Vegas

The fatigue effects I felt from taking NAG may have been fueling my candida issue. Consider the following:

"GlcNAc signaling is under investigation in the human fungal pathogen Candida albicans because it is a potent inducer of hyphal growth, whereas other sugars are not (2). GlcNAc induces two sets of responses that have significance for understanding the mechanisms of pathogenesis. One pathway stimulates C. albicans to switch from budding to hyphal growth and to induce expression of virulence genes." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3190674/

I'll have to look at this article later, but NAG is already widely available in the GIT because it is contained in the cell-membranes of most gram-positive organisms. These cell membranes are loaded with stuff that stimulates immunity, neutralizes toxins (like LPS), and protects us. NAG would be available to the mucin layer of the GIT because there is such rapid cell turnover, although I suppose it would be available in lesser quantities in the small intestine where there is considerably less microbial density.

What type of NAG supplement did you use? Do you know from what source it is derived?