• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

Seborrheic dermatitis can be a symptom of B2 deficiency.

Ha, damnit. I read B12, went out and researched 'b12 deficiency' and ordered a good supplement. Maybe dandruff is also highly correlated with farsightnedness ;) (yes, i'm starting to use the smilies as well now!)

I'll incorporate some more riboflavin-rich foods like spinach, almonds, eggs, etc.

On a side note: I might have a B-12 deficiency as well, there's a correlation with IBS and low B-12. I'll test whether it helps with energy levels.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Violeta

Where did you order it from? Some places allow you to cancel. You might need b-12, but B-2 is good for the eyes. I'll see if I saved a link to a good list of symptoms associated with b=-2 deficiency. If you build up that, it actually enhances your body's production of b-12.

@Violeta

In humans, signs and symptoms of riboflavin deficiency (ariboflavinosis) include cracked and red lips, inflammation of the lining of mouth and tongue, mouth ulcers, cracks at the corners of the mouth (angular cheilitis), and a sore throat. A deficiency may also cause dry and scaling skin, fluid in the mucous membranes, and iron-deficiency anemia. The eyes may also become bloodshot, itchy, watery and sensitive to bright light.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riboflavin

Hmm, yes some symptoms are similar. But then again, that's the culprit of Dr. Google; search for 'red bump on arm' and come away convinced that you have cancer.

What I'm going to do is to still test the B-12 and if I still have some nagging health issues I'll do a comprehensive blood analysis, instead of buying supplements based on my own assumptions; those are always somewhat of a shot in the dark :cautious:

Edit: Just googled angular cheilitis. Yes I have had that, not sure whether I still have it (beard is somewhat in the way). But definitively had that in the past.

Just realized something fascinating:

Ever since making significant improvements in my health my 'sweet tooth' has almost disappeared. I was listening to a podcast where a doctor/researcher was talking about the interaction of bacteria with our mind and this led me to this study:

Utilisation of mucin glycans by the human gut symbiontRuminococcus gnavus is strain-dependent’ Crost, E. H. et al doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076341

http://news.ifr.ac.uk/2013/10/mucin-glycans/comment-page-1/
Here's a good article about the study: http://news.ifr.ac.uk/2013/10/mucin-glycans/comment-page-1/

And read this:

The IFR researchers looked at Ruminococcus gnavus. This is a common species of gut bacteria found in over 90% of people, including infants just a few days old. It has also been implicated in gut-related health conditions. A number of studies have shown that patients suffering from Inflammatory Bowel Diseases have a disproportionate representation of R. gnavus

I used to eat between 100 and 200gr of chocolate (I know. I know). And now I might eat 30gr a day or so? I can resist the allure quite easily now. Fascinating.

My daughter just, this week, finished her 6th grade science project relating to tooth decay. She subjected teeth, well actually limestone, to different acids, sugar, and carbonated beverage. Acid beverages were notably damaging, but highly carbonated water actually proved to be the most effective at breaking down the calcium carbonate. Could have been experimental error in play as this was a 6th grader. It would be interesting to see a bacterial component added as a variable. I would have to wonder if anyone could record a change in oral pH. Recently I have found myself rubbing my teeth. I have to think that reduced friction equals reduced porosity of the enamel.

so brushing teeth with baking soda is bad?

adreno

PR activist
Has anyone any thoughts about liposomal encapsulation of pro biotics?
That wouldn't seem to make any sense. Liposomal encapsulation helps drugs and nutrient to enter through the cell membrane, this is not something you are looking for when supplementing probiotics.

snowathlete

Ever since making significant improvements in my health my 'sweet tooth' has almost disappeared. I was listening to a podcast where a doctor/researcher was talking about the interaction of bacteria with our mind and this led me to this study:

Utilisation of mucin glycans by the human gut symbiontRuminococcus gnavus is strain-dependent’ Crost, E. H. et al doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0076341

Here's a good article about the study: http://news.ifr.ac.uk/2013/10/mucin-glycans/comment-page-1/

And read this:

I used to eat between 100 and 200gr of chocolate (I know. I know). And now I might eat 30gr a day or so? I can resist the allure quite easily now. Fascinating.

By disproportionate, do they mean low?
Edit: just read some of the study you posted, if I read it right it is present, but absent in the mucosa when the disease is active?
My test from a year ago shows zero Rumminococcus and I have ulcerative colitis.
It's one of the things id like to fix but there isn't a commercial source for it. I'm hoping to get some via fermented foods.
I've also always had a sugar craving.

Last edited:

aquariusgirl

And read this:

Yo Thomas 3000,,,,I am a chocolate fiend also. What did you do that got you past it? Tnx

@snowathlete i actually think they mean high. I'm not sure regarding your other questions.

@aquariusgirl it was an unexpected result of resolving my gut dysbiosis and constipation. My situation is/was unique, so what worked for me doesn't necessarily help you. I also did so much at the same time that it's hard to pinpoint what is working. Maybe I'll write about it in the future. I'm taking my time to see whether I have indeed become a lot better, or whether this is just a fluke. I'm very skeptical regarding any improvements, especially since I've been sick so long.

maddietod

I just ordered some stuff from Vitacost (USA), and their BRM potato starch is 20% off at $2.71 for 24 ounces, if you buy 2. The offer is good until 3/23/14.

Last edited:

xjhuez

I don't know that any of us are taking pea fiber, but seemed relevant to the thread, as these are the same positive results we're after.

Long-Term Intake of Pea Fiber Affects Colonic Barrier Function, Bacterial and Transcriptional Profile in Pig Model

Abstract
The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of long-term intake of pea fiber (PF) on colonic health and the underlying mechanism. Fifty weaned piglets were randomly allocated into 2 groups receiving control and fibrous diet with inclusion of PF from weaning to Day 160 postweaning, with 5 pens in each group and 5 pigs in each pen. Compared with control diet, long-term intake of PF diet induced deeper crypt and increased colonic barrier-related protein expression of mucin and sIgA. As indicated by the increased lactobacillus content, pigs fed PF diet had a stimulating effect on bacterial fermentation in the colon, thus a higher concentration of colonic total short chain fatty acid and acetic acid were observed. DNA microarray results suggested that feeding PF diet inhibited 77% of genes (40 downregulated and 12 upregulated genes) related to colonic cancer, immune response, and lipid metabolism, involving in signal pathway such as intestinal immune network for IgA production, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor signaling pathway and nutrient metabolism-related pathways. Collectively, our results suggested that long-term intake of PF would improve colonic function via altering colonic barriers, colonic immune and metabolism-related protein or gene expressions.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
What has helped my chronic sinus congestion, sore throat and hoarseness were grain & dairy elimination. Still there but greatly reduced.

That's also helped me at night with my sinusitis but the severe headaches and the facial pain still remain. I'd love it if RS would maybe help but maybe this is an effect that's slower to develop since the sinus microbiome is presumably largely separate from the gut.

Oh well! I'm sorry for the diversion of the thread - let's get back to gut. :):alien:

Violeta

That's also helped me at night with my sinusitis but the severe headaches and the facial pain still remain. I'd love it if RS would maybe help but maybe this is an effect that's slower to develop since the sinus microbiome is presumably largely separate from the gut.

Oh well! I'm sorry for the diversion of the thread - let's get back to gut. :):alien:

I've heard more than once that sinus infections are tied to what's going on in the gut. It's not good to let the infection hang around in your sinuses because it's so close to the brain.

snowathlete

Forgive me if this question has already been asked in the last 50 pages, but do we need all three types of resistant starch? I mean, the second type is harder to come by but is it vitally different from the other two types that are easier to aquire? If not then surely you could just eat the stuff that gives you the easiest RS input.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I don't know that any of us are taking pea fiber, but seemed relevant to the thread, as these are the same positive results we're after.

Long-Term Intake of Pea Fiber Affects Colonic Barrier Function, Bacterial and Transcriptional Profile in Pig Model

Abstract
The objective of this study was to investigate the effect of long-term intake of pea fiber (PF) on colonic health and the underlying mechanism. Fifty weaned piglets were randomly allocated into 2 groups receiving control and fibrous diet with inclusion of PF from weaning to Day 160 postweaning, with 5 pens in each group and 5 pigs in each pen. Compared with control diet, long-term intake of PF diet induced deeper crypt and increased colonic barrier-related protein expression of mucin and sIgA. As indicated by the increased lactobacillus content, pigs fed PF diet had a stimulating effect on bacterial fermentation in the colon, thus a higher concentration of colonic total short chain fatty acid and acetic acid were observed. DNA microarray results suggested that feeding PF diet inhibited 77% of genes (40 downregulated and 12 upregulated genes) related to colonic cancer, immune response, and lipid metabolism, involving in signal pathway such as intestinal immune network for IgA production, peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor signaling pathway and nutrient metabolism-related pathways. Collectively, our results suggested that long-term intake of PF would improve colonic function via altering colonic barriers, colonic immune and metabolism-related protein or gene expressions.

Wrong species again!

adreno

PR activist
Forgive me if this question has already been asked in the last 50 pages, but do we need all three types of resistant starch? I mean, the second type is harder to come by but is it vitally different from the other two types that are easier to aquire? If not then surely you could just eat the stuff that gives you the easiest RS input.
You might be interested in this study:

Resistant Starches Types 2 and 4 Have Differential Effects on the Composition of the Fecal Microbiota in Human Subjects

From the abstract:
RS4 but not RS2 induced phylum-level changes, significantly increasing Actinobacteria and Bacteroidetes while decreasing Firmicutes. At the species level, the changes evoked by RS4 were increases in Bifidobacterium adolescentis and Parabacteroides distasonis, while RS2 significantly raised the proportions of Ruminococcus bromii and Eubacterium rectale when compared to RS4.

I believe the consensus is that RS2 is the most accessible. RS4 is synthetic, RS1 is present in grains and legumes, and RS3 in cooked and cooled starches (rice, potatoes) in small amounts. RS2 in the form of potato starch, green banana/plaintain will give you the most bang for the buck.

Here is a nice list of the RS content of foods:
http://freetheanimal.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Resistant-Starch-in-Foods.pdf

Last edited: