• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

paul80

Ok thanks. How does potato starch lead to toxins? i thought it was just supposed to feed good bacteria.

paul80

I had a parasite a few years ago and was in the worst state i've ever been. This feels similar to when i took herbal anti parasite meds and got rid of it. For first 2 days i felt bad and then by the third day started feeling a lot better.

If this is die off, and it definitely feels like it, then i suppose this is a good thing i should keep doing it. But there's always a doubt in your mind when you feel so crappy that you're just making your self ill for nothing.

Has anyone else had this reaction to such a tiny amount? and did pushing through the die off work?

paul80

I'm mostly housebound, yes. Going out isn't really worth it unless it's something important, like the doctors.

If it's die off surely it has to end? I suppose the question is, how long. With the parasite, after the first two days it improved each day so was easier to cope with.

If the miyarisan, which i should get delivered soon, is good then it will probably kill the bad bacteria as well so i'll have to go through the same die off with that, right?

paul80

Ok, i see. I guess i'll just wait and try the miyarisan since some people seem to have tolerated that better. Maybe it produces the die off at a slower rate.

ahmo

@paul80 I manage my die off symptoms with coffee enemas. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I've found them wonderful for ridding my system of toxins. I've wrtitten re my experiences, with references, linked in my signature. Hope you're feeling well soon.

paul80

@paul80 I manage my die off symptoms with coffee enemas. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I've found them wonderful for ridding my system of toxins. I've wrtitten re my experiences, with references, linked in my signature. Hope you're feeling well soon.

Hi ahmo, sorry i didn't reply. I didn't feel like going on the computer, feeling a bit better now.
Thank's for the suggestion, i'll have a read of it later.
So does this flush out the toxins out the intestine before they get into the blood stream?

liquid sky

I am interested in this idea of resistant starch as a prebiotic. This is a very intimidatingly long thread, so would anyone be kind enough to sum up the benefits and what starch to start with? Just a short summary and possibly the benefits they have received. Thanks, I would really appreciate it.

Resistant starches differentially stimulate toll-like receptors and attenuate proinflammatory cytokines in dendritic cells by modulation of intestinal epithelial cells. (2015)

SCOPE:
Main objectives of this study were 1) to demonstrate direct signaling of starch on human dendritic cells (DCs), 2) to study whether this is mediated by the pattern recognition receptors (PRRs) such as Toll-like receptors (TLRs) and 3) to study whether intestinal epithelial cells (IECs) are involved in modulating the starch induced immune activation of DCs.

METHODS AND RESULTS:
Two different types of Resistant Starch, High-maize® 260 (RS2) and Novelose® 330 (RS3) were characterized for their starch content and particle size. Human DCs and reporter cells for TLRs were incubated with starches and analyzed for NF-kB/AP-1 activation. Complex co-culture systems were applied to study the cross talk. High-maize® 260 predominantly binds to TLR2 while Novelose® 330 binds to TLR2 and TLR5. The strong immune-stimulating effects of High-maize® 260 were attenuated by starch-exposed IECs illustrating the regulatory function of IECs. Despite these attenuating effects, DCs kept producing Th1 cytokines.

CONCLUSION:
Resistant starch possesses direct signaling capacity on human DCs in a starch type dependent manner. IECs regulate these responses. High-maize® 260 skews towards a more regulatory phenotype in coculture systems of DCs, IEC, and T-cells. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

Sidereal

Sidereal

I've been meaning to tell you all about some new prebiotics that I've been taking. One is Wheat Dextrin, or trade name Benefiber. The other is Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum (PHGG).

The Wheat Dextrin in particular has set off huge detox reactions and has had a profound effect. It seems to target an entirely different set of gut-bugs to other ones I've taken, and more importantly it targets the ones in a different part of the digestive tract, mostly the distal end. With the Benefiber I felt like a different part of my brain was turning on. I also had extreme levels of irritation and inflammation, and weirdly very old memories started spontaneously coming up. The memory part might have been happening all along, but I've been too overhwelmed with discomfort in the past to notice.

@ariel, just wondering if you're still taking this and how it's going.

SDSue

Southeast
Forgive me if this has already been posted. Because I have an allergy to white potatoes, I am looking for another way to get resistant starch and found the following:

Scientists discover a simple way to cook rice that could halve the calories ( bolding mine)

They tested eight different ways of cooking rice on 38 different types of the grain found in Sri Lanka, and they discovered that by adding a fat such as coconut oil before cooking, and then immediately cooling the rice, they could change the starch composition of the end result so that it contained more resistant starch.

The oil works by interacting with the starch molecules and changing its architecture. "Cooling for 12 hours will lead to formation of hydrogen bonds between the amylose molecules outside the rice grains which also turns it into a resistant starch," explained James in a press release. And he notes that heating the rice back up afterwards doesn't change the resistant starch levels.

So far the duo has only measured the specific chemical outcomes in the variety of rice that initially had the worst starch content, but they found that they were able to reduce the amount of digestible starch 15 fold. This was also associated with a 10 to 15 percent reduction in calorie content.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Hi @SDSue

I'm no expert on this stuff but I've been trying to read this thread from the beginning (haven't got too far) but I believe the general consensus is that this is correct.
Cooked then cooled rice is an alternative form of RS. If you try it I hope it does something good for you. :)

SDSue

Southeast
Hi @SDSue

I'm no expert on this stuff but I've been trying to read this thread from the beginning (haven't got too far) but I believe the general consensus is that this is correct.
Cooked then cooled rice is an alternative form of RS. If you try it I hope it does something good for you. :)
Apparently, adding oil to the water when cooking will result in even more resistant starch than just cooking and cooling. Or at least I think that’s the point. I’m trying to find original paper on this. Thanks!

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I might just try that too. I'll use olive oil maybe. But it takes me a while to get up the strength to implement anything.
Have you been also following the Clostridium thread @SDSue?