• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Resistant Starch Challenge: Is It The Key We've Been Looking For?

whodathunkit

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Kindle version is out, too. Does anyone know if there's really anything earth-shattering in this book beyond standard diet and supp recs we already know (from this thread or elsewhere)?

The Kindle version is listed as coming out on May 7th - even on US Amazon, I don't see any option to buy it now (unless I'm missing something).

I'd be interested in it just as an overview. I've completely lost the plot on this thread (3,000 posts and counting!).

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Richard Nikoley (Free the Animal) is doing a book, of course. I don't know when it's coming out.

whodathunkit

The Kindle version is listed as coming out on May 7th - even on US Amazon, I don't see any option to buy it now (unless I'm missing something).
Hmmm...my browser says Kindle edition came out yesterday and is available now. Not sure I want to buy because I've spent quite a bit in the last couple years on books that sounded good but when you got into them there was nothing new under the sun. Just rehashed what I already know.

I'd be interested in it just as an overview. I've completely lost the plot on this thread (3,000 posts and counting!).
Not sure this thread has a real plot any more. It's kind of taken on a life of its own, in that it really is like life...meanders around and leads to little surprises.

Richard Nikoley (Free the Animal) is doing a book, of course. I don't know when it's coming out.
He keeps saying. He jumps around about as much as the frogs in my back patio. :lol:

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Hmmm...my browser says Kindle edition came out yesterday and is available now. Not sure I want to buy because I've spent quite a bit in the last couple years on books that sounded good but when you got into them there was nothing new under the sun. Just rehashed what I already know.

That's weird - oh well! I'm going to order the pbk (I can always resell it if I want) and will do my best to review it. But my ability to remember stuff is at such a poor level that what seems new to me probably won't to anyone else here! o_O

whodathunkit

@JPV, just FYI, it's Richard Nikoley and his little N=1 experiments with RS that actually got this thread started. The OP of this thread is a friend or associate of Nikoley.

Not saying that because I think you shouldn't hold your opinion or even state it (you are absolutely entitled to do both), just sayin' you might not want to sell someone (i.e., Nikoley) all the way short just because you don't like a few things about them.

Myself, the ideas I've gotten from Richard since I started reading him far outweigh any transient annoyance I might feel at his erstwhile abrasiveness. I also get some good info sometimes when he links to the people he's feuding with. :D

dannybex

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
@JPV, just FYI, it's Richard Nikoley and his little N=1 experiments with RS that actually got this thread started. The OP of this thread is a friend or associate of Nikoley.

Was it Nikoley or Tim Steele that got the ball rolling on RS?

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
I started with two tabs, and had some initial problems (pain, diarrhoea) and had to take a few breaks. After a few weeks the problems went away, and now I've worked up to three tabs daily.

@adreno, I ordered some Miyarisan off of Amazon and it just arrived today. I paid an extra $15 for expedited shipping and it only took a week to get here, which was a pleasant surprise.

From everything that I've read I have a gut feeling (pun intended) that I may belong to a subgroup that might benefit from taking it. I was going to start with low doses, as you recommended, maybe 1-2 tablets per day.

I was wondering if you're taking it with any sort of substrate like RS or GOS?

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
I was wondering if you're taking it with any sort of substrate like RS or GOS?
ATM, the fibers I take are psyllium, acacia and arabinogalactan. RS from food only, although I'm planning to try tapioca down the line. I'm also waiting for flax seed to arrive.

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. It could be a subset thing, but it's probably been the most effective intervention I have tried so far. I'm pushing the envelope at the moment and I'm not crashing.

Never did I imagine that a single bacteria could have such a huge influence on just about every symptom. I'm simply amazed.

Another thing that has changed is that my allergies are much milder this year. In prior years I was feeling horrible at this time (birch season) even with antihistamines, but this year it feels quite tolerable, as long as I still take my medicine.

Last edited:

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
ATM, the fibers I take are psyllium, acacia and arabinogalactan. RS from food only, although I'm planning to try tapioca.
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if PS is even an effective substrate with Clostridium Butyricum. From what I gather different substrates work with different bacteria. I was thinking of buying some GOS from Amazon and using that instead of PS.
I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences. It could be a subset thing, but it's probably been the most effective intervention I have tried so far. I'm pushing the envelope at the moment and I'm not crashing.
I took 2 today and the only side effect I seem to be experiencing is some stomach discomfort. Minor burning sensations and slight cramping. Nothing serious. I generally tend to take big doses of most supplements but I'm going to try and go slow with this one.

Miyarisan doesn't seem to be discussed much by the online ME/CFS community so I gather that it's relatively new idea. Other than this site, Terry Needham mentions having very good results with it on his blog, "Getting Healthier Now".

I'm mostly interested in the purported ability of Clostridium Butyricum to displace H. Pylori and Candida, one or both of which I suspect I might have issues with. All the more reason to go slow and steady with it.

Last edited:

adreno

PR activist
Thanks for the reply. I wonder if PS is even an effective substrate with Clostridium Butyricum. From what I gather different substrates work with different bacteria. I was thinking of buying some GOS from Amazon and using that instead of PS.
RS is a substrate for Clostridia. GOS (and FOS) was bad for me, pure lactate hell.

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I still have some PS in the cupboard so I'll just start using that in a few days, after acclimating a bit to the Miyarisan, and save some money. Maybe I'll experiment with Larch later on.

Sidereal

Larch arabinogalactan was pure acetate hell for me. I stopped sleeping almost altogether for a while + muscle twitching and myoclonic jerks.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Not sure about books, but ME/CFS patient Ken Lassesen attributes his recovery to changing the microbiome and has several posts on the subject:

https://cfsremission.wordpress.com/treatment/microflora-and-autoimmune-illnesses/

Thanks, Danny - that reminds me that he's also written about this on Cort's blog:

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/2013/12/15/ken-lassesen-changing-gut-ecosystem-probiotics/

http://www.cortjohnson.org/blog/201...cs-change-gut-flora-chronic-fatigue-syndrome/

Sidereal

Another thing that has changed is that my allergies are much milder this year. In prior years I was feeling horrible at this time (birch season) even with antihistamines, but this year it feels quite tolerable, as long as I still take my medicine.

I started C butyricum about 3 weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was some die-off symptoms and that I was able to go out to the back garden again whereas previously being near the flower bed made me ill with itching and breathing problems.

My physical energy has not improved at all. Brain fog, however, has been the best it has in years. These past couple of weeks I've gotten some projects done I'd been putting off for months/years.

Die-off is an issue. The first week or so I had some GI upset with Miyarisan. If I take too big a dose I get sinus headaches. I also get herpes reactivations if I take too much.

The only prebiotic substrate I'm taking right now is ecklonia cava (a fraction of a capsule every few days).

JPV

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
My physical energy has not improved at all. Brain fog, however, has been the best it has in years. These past couple of weeks I've gotten some projects done I'd been putting off for months/years.

I don't know if it's like this for you, but I tend to horribly procrastinate over doing just about anything. I feel that it's not so much because of lack of energy, I feel I can push through that, but mostly due to brain fog. It's always so hard for me to focus and keep things straight in my head and I'm always afraid I will make some fatal mistake. This causes a lot of stress and I seem to have also developed a pathological aversion to anything that increases stress... which deters me even more.

adreno

PR activist
That's strange. It certainly has increased for me. Perhaps it'll get better for you as the die-off improves.

Die-off is an issue. The first week or so I had some GI upset with Miyarisan. If I take too big a dose I get sinus headaches. I also get herpes reactivations if I take too much.
Yes. I had to back down to 2 tabs for a long time, and have only now increased to 3 again. And now I'm getting die-off symptoms again. My heart is pounding, I have anxiety, cold hands, headache and neck glands are sore.

Last edited:

Sidereal

That's strange. It certainly has increased for me. Perhaps it'll get better for you as the die-off improves.

Last week I was also experimenting with vitamin K2 which I think worsened my fatigue so it's hard to say what's going on exactly.

Yes. I had to back down to 2 tabs for a long time, and have only now increased to 3 again. And now I'm getting die-off symptoms again. My heart is pounding, I have anxiety, cold hands, headache and neck glands are sore.

Not surprised to hear that. It's potent stuff. 2-3 seems to be my limit, every other day. I have tried 4 and it was not good. For those who haven't taken it, 6 tabs a day is the normal adult dose. I might go down to one a day and see what happens.

I forgot to mention also that my water balance has improved while on C butyricum. Frequent large volume urination and thirst is my worst symptom and this seems to be dramatically improved. I've been able to stop the antihistamines and LDN which I used to have to take to deal with this problem.

Back