• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The 'Optimize Dr. Bateman's Research' Fundraiser

leelaplay

Shelly,

Thank you so much. It feels wonderful to be part of such a wonderful comunity! We just got a new update on the total so far:

$2,240.00

(which included one very generous donation of $500 from someone in the UK!)

Now I'm dancing in my PJ's:victory::victory::victory::victory:!

Wooo Hoooo :victory::victory::victory:

And I just sent off my donation - so that total has already increased.

Thank you SO MUCH Shane for getting involved in helping Dr Bateman in such a practical way in the beginning and now on an on-going basis. And thank you Shane and Cort for initiating this funding drive and getting the word out.

THere are so few things that we are able to do that bring immediate tangible results. A project like this feels fantastic to be involved with!

if:sofa::Retro smile:

To Cort and Shane - thank you for showing us how to help ourselves. I was able to meet Dr. Bateman last year in Washington. She told me how she had gotten into ME/CFS research because of her sister. She also told me at the time that she was stretched pretty thin in trying to keep her practice going. It was clear it was not a money making operation! I am really happy to be able to send a donation to her today. I meant to do it then but by the time I got home the conversation was forgotten. I am always amazed that my short term memory loss can turn up months later as a long term memory. My brain needs a new filing system.

Kati

Patient in training
Wow!!! over 2/3 of what's needed. Hopefully one more day and Offer can make an order!

Remember... Help them help us!!!

creekfeet

Sockfeet
Tweet

You can spread the word by going to Twitter and tweeting the following message or something like it.

Vital #Bateman #XMRV #CFS & #fibromyalgia research could be killed by 90s computer. Donate now to tech upgrade: www.offerutah.org. Please RT

gee you guys - we are so humbled and overwhelmed by this support.
(and really - we could get a new chair, too?!? And an "I" key for the keyboard? no way.)

:)

That'd be fantastic.

You folks are incredible.

- Kristin and Ali, Dr. Bateman's research coordinators

SeaShel

Kristin and Ali - (and Dr Bateman of course)

It's our pleasure! Really. Thank YOU for working under those circumstances for us.

You Rock.

Shelley

Kati

Patient in training
gee you guys - we are so humbled and overwhelmed by this support.
(and really - we could get a new chair, too?!? And an "I" key for the keyboard? no way.)

:)

That'd be fantastic.

You folks are incredible.

- Kristin and Ali, Dr. Bateman's research coordinators

Kristin and Ali, an "I" key sounds pretty darn close to the "M.E." key... !!!
Thank you for your hard work. And yes I hope the chair comes with the whole shebang.

D

debbiebradshaw

So excited for Dr. Bateman and her office. They are more like a family to each other and really deserve this. The treatment we receive as patients is of the utmost respect and concern. I can only imagine what a difference this will make for them!!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Dr. Bateman appears to be running EVERYTHING on a very tight budget. Instead of charging patients what the market will bear she's apparently just getting by, which, as we all know is a real rarity in this business. She's apparently getting the money she can off of the treatment trials - which is exactly where we hope to help her - managing those treatment trials and the income from them better - as well is helping her understand better what is going on. Its all good!

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
ALERT!

We are either over the top or almost there. :tongue::tongue::tongue: We have about

$2600​

in donations in about a day and a half - an amazing total!

:victory::victory::victory::victory::victory::victory:​

We also have a commitment from a donor to give us $650 in software. If that comes through -as we firmly believe it will - that will put us well over the top.

However -since we don't have it in hand - we are going to keep the drive open for a few hours more for people who would like to continue to donate. The worst thing that could happen is that we either return some of the donations or the FFC or OFFER finds another way to use them. (Not a problem! They do have the patient provider conference coming up and we've discussed doing a live web presentation or webinar. There are many options.)

Never having done this before, CBS, I and the FFC really had no idea how this was going to turn out. We know the financial costs CFS imposes and the rather technical nature of the project - building an information infrastructure for the research end of the FFC - could have been a hitch as well. We really had no idea how this was going to turn out.

Obviously everyone is ecstatic at how this turned out. It exceeded our most optimistic hopes

Thank You EVERYBODY .

If you want to give the FFC some breathing room, in case the software doesn't come through, or simply continue to support them, the Fundraiser will be open until 12am PST

We'll provide complete totals tomorrow. Pat yourselves on the back everybody!

CBS

Thank You!

Thank you!

The FCC research staff are feeling a bit stunned right now. They expressed concerns about getting their hopes up and the way that everyone came through was simply amazing.

I don't know how else to say 'thank you' except that I can promise you that every dime will be very much appreciated and we won't waste a penny. I know this was a real sacrifice for many of you (Kati, If you'd like, I can send you my recently read issues of "The Sun." It's a fantastic periodical filled with short essays, easier to read for folks with CFS!).

:hug::hug::hug:Big warm hugs to everyone!:hug::hug::hug:

SeaShel

WOWZA!!! Hooray!!

Cort, my two cents is that if the fund is over what is needed, just let Dr Bateman and the staff decide what else they need to make their lives easier/more productive.

Even with Shane's expertise in coming up with the package and it's cost, I would guess there will be other expenses whether it be cables, switches, router, power strip, surge protection, whatever. Maybe 3 new chairs - shoot for the moon! ;-) If nothing else I'm sure they could use printer ink and paper and a new coffee machine or something. I can only imagine what the needs might be in an office that has been using a keyboard missing an I !!

Congrats everyone!

Shelley

CJB

Congratulations, everyone!!

YES -- please keep it going until we can get them new chairs and at least one gift of something they don't need, but would like -- a new coffee maker, an espresso machine and a new keyboard?

Cort and Shane, you put this together so beautifully, I am not surprised at this response.

Again, way to go, Phoenix Rising!

*GG*

I donated, perhaps if the waiting room is not comfortable they can get some good chairs for that room. I know I find Dr's office uncomfortable with the chronic back pain!

SeaShel

Would it be asking too much (and I'm asking with sincerity, not snark - don't want to be misunderstood!) to have some periodic updates on this project?

Don't want to over burden CBS, but it would be fun and interesting to know how things are progressing. Something along the lines of "everything is ordered" or "new hardware is installed" or "we had enough for chairs" - any little crumb to take our minds off the Dr Peterson news (does Dr Bateman want to move?).

Thanks again for everything Shane and Cort, and everyone who contributed.

Shelley