• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Teeth grinding / bruxism

xena

Hi all, has anyone been able to heal this or improve it?

My partner is struggling to sleep next to me. I have gotten a night guard but it's a bit uncomfortable.

I understand it can be linked to both stress and some vitamin deficiencies.

I'm trying to release tension in the area before sleep , reduce stress and up my dose of pantothenic acid to 500 mg / night.

I also have restless legs, or rather my body jerks sometimes in sync with the grinding. It really upsets my partner a lot so I'm motivated to try to heal this.

Any advice?

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I had some dental work done that messed up my jaw. He took the bite of my back teeth out of occlusion and caused my mid-line to shift a couple millimeters.

Do you think yours could be caused by dental work?

I ended up having to go to a TMD clinic for a year. They made me a special splint--it was bulky but made my jaw relax. Those otc night guards are not comfortable, not even the boil and shrink ones, if that's what you're using. I tried that before going to the clinic.

I did find a very thin over-the-teeth retainer on ebay that helps some too. It's like the ones here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=custom+retainer&_sacat=0

I see they also have thicker ones now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123182027085?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1cae38914d:g:XMUAAOSwlAdfofuM&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAA8BgaEd/PkAls+pyyjE3wKt8IlyhYsJoFXNr6tJV5T15OghqdJaFedTMcZQdpcUURFoLw13ZX9w7t9o9XOL0HYB6pEwpUIpe6hcBoeG/Dz8HSYonzZEaghgUXIDFXGthPtSbLI2wtxwxJdNeQTjqTvbxNizmAX0GJOliVL5P6MQR/P41SI/tWohPZlLz6K+ut6b2Mx1+b4EEsJojzlvlvr0rjqw3oGqdjvDaI36wmn9NymbRFqempdLEz5hmi+97idbsWBrsjWknNwYNf/h/eultWjwiTvM/SHf//H84YVGuSQwJ0v9pCjkYny0oIZrB6FQ==|tkp:BFBM2LyT-rZf

If I needed to do that again, I would consider getting the thicker ones instead. They're expensive but not like the splint was.

Also when I ordered from eBay, I requested a lower one but I would get an upper next time because the lower is hard to use. My back upper teeth hit it in a painful way.

Also these eBay retainers are very tight to the teeth and that can get uncomfortable at times and they're pretty thin so not sure if you would grind through them after a while. I don't grind; my jaws just are not aligned well so they hurt.

However, sometimes just that little extra spacing can help relax the jaw enough that maybe you wouldn't grind as much.

One more thought is check with your regular dentist.
Later, the same dentist that referred me to the TMD clinic said he could make me a splint and that it might be covered by my health insurance. It wasn't so I didn't have him make it even though it would have been a lot less expensive than the TMD clinic version. Just something to look into maybe.

Some insurances are covering TMD treatment and a dentist's splint probably would be the best. It is for me.

Anyway, hope you can figure something to help.

Last edited:

xena

I had some dental work done that messed up my jaw. He took the bite of my back teeth out of occlusion and caused my mid-line to shift a couple millimeters.

Do you think yours could be caused by dental work?

I ended up having to go to a TMD clinic for a year. They made me a special splint--it was bulky but made my jaw relax. Those otc night guards are not comfortable, not even the boil and shrink ones, if that's what you're using. I tried that before going to the clinic.

I did find a very thin over-the-teeth retainer on ebay that helps some too. It's like the ones here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313&_nkw=custom+retainer&_sacat=0

I see they also have thicker ones now: https://www.ebay.com/itm/123182027085?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item1cae38914d:g:XMUAAOSwlAdfofuM&amdata=enc:AQAGAAAA8BgaEd/PkAls+pyyjE3wKt8IlyhYsJoFXNr6tJV5T15OghqdJaFedTMcZQdpcUURFoLw13ZX9w7t9o9XOL0HYB6pEwpUIpe6hcBoeG/Dz8HSYonzZEaghgUXIDFXGthPtSbLI2wtxwxJdNeQTjqTvbxNizmAX0GJOliVL5P6MQR/P41SI/tWohPZlLz6K+ut6b2Mx1+b4EEsJojzlvlvr0rjqw3oGqdjvDaI36wmn9NymbRFqempdLEz5hmi+97idbsWBrsjWknNwYNf/h/eultWjwiTvM/SHf//H84YVGuSQwJ0v9pCjkYny0oIZrB6FQ==|tkp:BFBM2LyT-rZf

If I needed to do that again, I would consider getting the thicker ones instead. They're expensive but not like the splint was.

Also when I ordered from eBay, I requested a lower one but I would get an upper next time because the lower is hard to use. My back upper teeth hit it in a painful way.

Also these eBay retainers are very tight to the teeth and that can get uncomfortable at times and they're pretty thin so not sure if you would grind through them after a while. I don't grind; my jaws just are not aligned well so they hurt.

However, sometimes just that little extra spacing can help relax the jaw enough that maybe you wouldn't grind as much.

One more thought is check with your regular dentist.
Later, the same dentist that referred me to the TMD clinic said he could make me a splint and that it might be covered by my health insurance. It wasn't so I didn't have him make it even though it would have been a lot less expensive than the TMD clinic version. Just something to look into maybe.

Some insurances are covering TMD treatment and a dentist's splint probably would be the best. It is for me.

Anyway, hope you can figure something to help.
Thank you so much @Judee and @Pyrrhus

I just started using these about a month ago:
https://www.catch.com.au/product/sl...trays-set-of-4-including-travel-case-5543704/
I found they are easy to mold and very comfortable, and they stay on securely. They're actually the best guard I've ever had. They don't force my jaw into an unusual position and they don't cause any wounding to the gums. As a bonus, they stop up the front of my mouth and force me to breath through my nose and stop any snoring. I'm male but my mouth is quite small. I use the smaller of the guards. I imagine around 90% of people would find one of the two sizes fits them. Strange as it sounds: I actually enjoy putting in this new guard at night. Never had that experience with one before. And I think I sleep a bit more soundly. It does cause me to drool sometimes, but then they all do that more or less - this one probably a bit more than average but it's worth it for the other benefits.

That's an Australian website but there seem to be identical or practically identical ones all over the place, e.g.:
https://www.amazon.com/NEOMEN-Health-Professional-Dental-Guard/dp/B07LC6CYPF/
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TZNH89Z/

I used the custom made ones from the dentist for about 10 years until about 2010. I had ones that fit on the top and bottom - top worked best. But my top teeth are a bit crooked and that meant that the guard put a bit of pressure on the teeth and hurt. Plus, those ones are really expensive. So I switched to using these off the shelf ones: https://www.sleepright.com/product/secure-comfort/
I used those for about 8 years and they were pretty effective and cheap, though with some slight discomfort (especially cutting into the gum between front teeth and bottom lip). Then about 3 years ago, the manufacturer changed the material for the bite pads from a nice softish plastic to a hard plastic. The new hard stuff made my teeth hurt and I had to give up on that brand.

I have also tried physio for my jaw and that does help a bit but it obviously takes effort and you need to do it regularly. I just searched for videos on the subject on YouTube and found some good stuff. The new guard I have is more effective than physio I think and less work, though it would probably be best to do both.

xena

I believe I'm seeing some improvement with the pantothenic acid. I'm not sure but i do feel more well rested. I've also been doing muscle releasing with pressure from my knees. I'm also trying vitamin D earlier in the day as I saw a talk linked elsewhere on this forum suggesting they may be linked.

Crux

I also have restless legs, or rather my body jerks sometimes in sync with the grinding

I learned I had bruxism when a periodontist grabbed my mandible and contorted it up down, left right, telling me that's what I did while sleeping. I'd worn my teeth down, he could tell by the distorted shape of them.
I was 26.

I'm 65, and now having the most relief from bruxism, TMJ, even gum pockets and a loose tooth. It's been low Calcium all along. It never showed up on blood tests, the body goes to great lengths to keep it level in the blood.

I didn't tolerate dairy for so long. sibo
Veg. and nuts didn't quite cover the need.
Now the gut is better, I can tolerate fermented dairy.
I also take calcium chelate.

If calcium intake is low, phosphorus can bind it and accumulate in joints, organs , etc.
Here's a study involving people with RLS. They had low vitamin D and high phosphorus.
They had the same calcium over all.
Calcium is used to lower phosphorus, so I wonder if calcium would have helped this group.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32950014/

" We found that serum vitamin D level is significantly lower and phosphorous is significantly higher in RLS individuals compared to the non-RLS individuals. However, the mean difference of serum calcium was not significant in comparison between RLS and control groups
Conclusion: Results revealed a significant association between serum vitamin D and phosphorous with RLS. However, further prospective cohort studies and clinical trials are needed for better understanding of the relationship between these variables."

xena

thank you! @Crux i do have cold hands and feet that are relieved by taking a calcium supplement (pearl powder) frequently.

i suspect my D is low too and have been trying to supplement it however it seems to be driving down my vitamin A too much and I develop headaches.

Crux

i do have cold hands and feet that are relieved by taking a calcium supplement (pearl powder) frequently.

Thank you too , I was wondering what was helping my cold feet and general chilliness.

It took a couple of months before I could begin to take vitamin D. It may probably be that calcium counterbalances the phosphorus, and that takes some time.

Crux

Are you already taking calcium ? For how long? If so, there certainly may be more causes for the inflammation.

GreenMachineX

My partner is struggling to sleep next to me. I have gotten a night guard but it's a bit uncomfortable.

I understand it can be linked to both stress and some vitamin deficiencies.

I'm trying to release tension in the area before sleep , reduce stress and up my dose of pantothenic acid to 500 mg / night.

I also have restless legs, or rather my body jerks sometimes in sync with the grinding. It really upsets my partner a lot so I'm motivated to try to heal this.

Any advice?
What does the pantothenic acid do?

I have found magnesium supplements help the nighttime clenching. I was taking magnesium for years before I got CFS for that reason. Magnesium is a muscle relaxant. But if you're on here with CFS, you're probably taking it already since it's probably the one supplement that most often helps CFSers. I take magnesium glycinate at nightime (the glycine is suppsoed to help relaxation too). Specifically, I use Doctor's Best magnesium, the label of which says it is lysinate-glycinate, but I emailed the company and it is almost all glycine. During the day I take magnesium citrate (which helps more with constipation).

i take the calcium most days, for last week maybe? @Crux
Calcium competes with magnesium for uptake. So supplementing with calcium could theoretically lead to a magnesium deficient or insufficiency. It would help to take calcium supplements separate from any sources of magnesium (whether food or supplement).

GlassCannonLife

I thought taurine is meant to help with bruxism. I recently ran out and have definitely been noticing ridiculous grinding from myself - I have plastic retainers that encourage chewing a bit.

I'm about to get some more taurine so I'll see if it helps and report back if I remember and am well enough!

Avena

Have tried «everything» over the years. Botox in the masseter muscle is the only thing that has helped. It does not do me any favors cosmetically, though… I miss my cheeks.