• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Substantial improvement with (strange) dietary adjustments

Wonkmonk

I also found that plain onion soup (onions, water, nothing else) doesn't cause a lot of symptoms even when I activate the onion enzymes by consuming some of the onions raw.

I now strongly suspect it's the combination with fats that's the problem.

Dysfunkion

For some reason I haven't totally figured out yet, spinach is one of the worst foods to eat for me. It's even worse than kale, which has similar nutrients.

I think it may be the high choline and/or the high oxalate in spinach. I think oxalate as a cause for all sorts of symptoms is really underappreciated. Many people would probably profit from reducing it in their diet.

Also a problem for me: Pungent brassica (cabbage) and allium (leek, garlic) family vegetables. But again, it seems it's only with fat and protein that the negative effect is most pronounced.

I wonder if it's because I just overloaded my system with oxalates I couldn't handle but I don't think I'm normally oxalate sensitive, I eat garlic all the time (black garlic specifically these days) and it's one of my safest foods actually. In fact I don't know what I'd do without my beloved garlic. It's weird though with the cabbage thing because cauliflower is a staple vegetable for me every week and broccoli doesn't present any big issues either but it's not perfect for me as it's a bit less tolerated than cauliflower just like anything that happens to be green which appears to generally ramp up my immune system a bit more. I am going to give asparagus a try today at a small amount lightly cooked in water and see how I react to that.

Dysfunkion

Just curious: do you have cravings for greens? I can go for years without greens without even wistful desires. My ME is a convenient excuse for not "eating my vegetables".
Sometimes, I eat broccoli semi-frequently and that's enough to keep it down. I crave a good salad sometimes too but I don't know if that's "the greens" or just a taste sensory thing I'm craving.

Wonkmonk

do you have cravings for greens?
I wouldn't call it "cravings" but I would really enjoy eating greens, but can't. I think I would just feel better if I could include some in my diet. I think we're made to eat at least some amount of greens although we technically might not need them to survive. But no real "cravings".

I do have real cravings for high-lysine foods (hummus, lentils, cheese) and that makes sense because it's an essential amino acid needed for survival. My diet is very low lysine and I clearly feel that the body wants me to eat more of it.

Wonkmonk

New insight: Mushrooms before or after high-lysine meals (legumes, hummus, cheese) causes a crash.

I don't have a good theory for why that happens, but I noticed it several times now.

From now, I will make mushroom pasta only my first meal in the morning with spaghetti the evening before and for lunch thereafter.