• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Sanum Therapy : Homeopathy to reduce Candida and Fungi

whodathunkit

@Sherlock: melamine's right, but just a little amplification. Candida is present in the body all the time, but when there aren't enough good guys around to keep it under control, the population can get too large. Once it's overgrown it's more difficult to get back under control, which is why many people just keep having problems with it despite episodic measures to control it. @Gestalt has a blog post here that outlines a multi-pronged approach for dealing with it that looks very good to me. Plus sanum, which @jepps recommends so highly.

The reasons we don't have enough of the good bacteria to keep candida under control can include what she said (and are all the things discussed in the gut challenge thread): abx, bad diet, stress, heavy metals (which have a negative effect on good bacteria in addition to being a component of biofilms), etc.

Myself, until I started reading the big gut thread I was still stuck in the '80's and '90's when it came to candida..."The Yeast Diet" was difficult to do because it was extremely restrictive, and basically didn't work AT ALL. That was all most of us knew about candida. But there's a lot of exciting stuff going on around here. Some of it I've tried in the past, for other reasons (enzymes, chelation, anti-microbials like coconut oil), and some of it I'll be trying soon, specifically for candida (Sanum). So I guess those of us trying to address candida with these measures, we'll just wait to see what happens. :thumbsup:

My take is that even if we *don't* have a big problem with candida, these measures also address other things, so probably can't hurt (as long as used responsibly).

Sherlock

Boswellia for lungs and MC stabllizing
@melamine @whodathunkit

Thanks to both of you. I should have mentioned that I have had candida (or some pathogen just like it) for decades. For me, it's very easy to temporarily reverse. I just avoid sugar, drink some clove powder in water on an empty stomach (or olive leaf extract), and maybe take biotin.

Iodine tablets with sugar helps keep it from coming back. (I experiment with sugar because it works so good for exercise recovery.) Lately, grapefruit peel.

Baking soda on an empty stomach helps, too. That's why I was asking my question: raising my gut pH seems to help. (I know most would probably ay that alkalinity harms, not helps.)

However, it always comes back eventually. Somehow I am prone.

Btw, I first had ringworm fungus on my shoulder when I was ~18. Used an anti-fungal. Then I didn't have it for decades until one day it turned up near to the same spot.

whodathunkit

@Sherlock, you might want to be careful with the iodine, as it can kill some of the good guys, too. I say that as a big, big fan of it.

Have you ever tried any of the other candida measures? I really do think my intense rounds of chelation several years ago, plus some enzyme therapy in the past, have helped me with candida overgrowth, although I was not taking these things for candida. I was never offiicially diagnosed but had a lot of symptoms and my lifestyle was a textbook case in how to let it overgrow.

My year of high-dose iodine possibly (probably?) helped with candida, too, although ultimately I suspect it may have had a deleterious effect on my good critters, too. But overall I had a really good experience with high-dose iodine, and the good effects continue today, three years later. It's a foundational supplement for me, although I no longer take it every day.

Another thing that I always forget about for some reason is noni (morinda citrifolia) powder. Powder, NOT juice. My doctor put me on that to help my gut about five years ago. I took it for a couple years. It's supposed to be anti-fungal and anti-viral. Incidentally, three warts I'd had since childhood went away within two weeks of beginning noni and never came back. Really good stuff. Just a few days ago I got out an unopened container I had from back then and started taking it again. Getting rid of those warts was a small miracle for me, so I have no idea why I always forget to mention noni these days. But I do. At least, I did, until today.

But anyway...have you ever tried any other candida measures? :)

melamine

I had been prescribed a restrictive Candida diet and got worse also. I have come to the conclusion that restoring balance is the way to go and not trying to kill our co-habitants. I am even using probiotic cleaners now whenever I can.

Because I had or have high Candida antibodies and autoimmune symptoms that indicate leaky gut, I assume I have the more pathological kind with "roots" that is going to require more sustained attention.

@Sherlock - How much clove to you add to water?
Interesting experience with the ringworm coming back in nearly the same location.

@whodathunkit - How much noni powder do you use and how often?
I've been using iodine more as a way of counteracting fluoride because I'm not sure my basic filter removes it, and because I use non-iodized salt. I'm glad you mentioned about how it might be killing some good bugs because I cut back to 1/2 iodoral/day about a month or so ago and am wondering if I'm still overdoing it and setting up for another kind of imbalance.

whodathunkit

@melamine: I take one scoop of powder morning and night. I don't have the container with me right now so can't remember the brand. I'll post it later. It's what my doctor put me on years ago. It may be overpriced (a little $$$) but since I know it's good quality I stick with that brand. Other powders may be just as good.

@Sherlock...are you having any success with boosting good gut flora with pre- and probiotic supplementation? I can't remember from the gut thread. Restoring a preponderance of beneficial organisms to your gut is probably key to controlling candida overgrowth. Killing the overgrowth being necessary, too, but without the good guys probably the overgrowth will just recur again.

Sherlock

you might want to be careful with the iodine, as it can kill some of the good guys, too.
How much would you say is too much? I've taken 2 x 225mcg at a time with something like ice cream or chocolate. Maybe max was 6-8 tablets per week. I'd bought it as a shot in the dark to try because of low body temp, then reasoned it must be a good antimicrobial for inside since it is used as such for outside.
chelation
never intentionally but used IP-6 in the past and have an old bottle unopened. Maybe I'll open it.
three warts I'd had since childhood went away within two weeks of beginning noni
I had those suddenly in my 30's, started on lecithin and they never came back.
But anyway...have you ever tried any other candida measures? :)
Ummm, let's see... caprylic acid did absolutely zero. Garlic is a fairly weak killer, but I have it with almost every meal regardless :) . Grapefruit seed extract was okay. A ton of cinnamon on an apple seems to work. Red pepper does nothing. Lots of oregano spice (haven't had extract) works somewhat.

What have I missed? :) That's not expensive to try, that is.
Because I had or have high Candida antibodies and autoimmune symptoms that indicate leaky gut, I assume I have the more pathological kind with "roots" that is going to require more sustained attention.

The rhizoids/hyphae? I know the theory; as for the practice, back when still dumb enough to continue with sugar even when my lips and eyes burned and my scalp was ultra-itchy, biotin would work rather well.

@Sherlock - How much clove to you add to water?
Well, I don't measure, I just shake the spice bottle into a small amount of water so I know it will be very concentrated. Maybe 1/8 tsp or less? Funny thing, right after I drink it I feel a burning in my ear canals. (When I first got sick, both ears got blocked.)

Sherlock

@Sherlock...are you having any success with boosting good gut flora with pre- and probiotic supplementation? I can't remember from the gut thread. Restoring a preponderance of beneficial organisms to your gut is probably key to controlling candida overgrowth. Killing the overgrowth being necessary, too, but without the good guys probably the overgrowth will just recur again.
I've tried capsules of acidophilus et al. I never detected any benfit. To me, it seemed like throwing vegetable or flower seeds on a lawn - every spot is already taken and the seed would be wasted. I haven't tried the supposedly strong organisms like the GAPS doc Natasha recommends.

I have potatoes and sweet potatoes often. I am normalized to that. Never any type of pre-b supplements.

I suppose mine are okay as is.

jepps

@melamine @whodathunkit

Thanks to both of you. I should have mentioned that I have had candida (or some pathogen just like it) for decades. For me, it's very easy to temporarily reverse. I just avoid sugar, drink some clove powder in water on an empty stomach (or olive leaf extract), and maybe take biotin.

This could be the key. Candida must be treated the whole therapy, so long, until we are healthy. RS+prebiotics+diet can prevent us from further infections. It could be, that our candida is so systemic, that

1.) we only can keep fungi under control, but never heal it with diet alone
2.) we underrate the dimension of our fungi infection, we can have pounds of candida in us. As long as we have solved every infection, every strong toxin in our body, which can interrupt Th1/Th2, we cannot control fungi, which then overgrows again. We must treat candida as long, as any infection is gone, as long, until we are healthy.

My daughter was born with candida, my mother also has bad teeth, (had, because she only has a few teeth, but is very healthy, she never had amalgame), we ate very sweet and much cakes, and therefore I had many teeth with amalgame. This could be one important reason for my illness.

Sherlock

we can have pounds of candida in us
Is that proven, jepps? I'd heard that long ago ("a quarter inch thick"), but have never seen photos from endoscopy or colonoscopy, or autopsies or biopsy samples. I have seen photos of esophageal thrush.

Once, I'd made bone broth, drained it and left the bones in the covered pot on the side table and forgot it was there. When I opened it days later it was filled with long filaments of fungus. Aspergillus? I mention it because the filaments looked like cotton candy but were surprisingly tough.
As long as we have solved every infection, every strong toxin in our body, which can interrupt Th1/Th2, we cannot control fungi, which then overgrows again
I know that neutrophils can go on one-way missions into the gut and don't require oxygen. Are neuts and IgA effective against candida in the gut lumen?
teeth with amalgame
I've got 4.

jepps

Is that proven, jepps? I'd heard that long ago ("a quarter inch thick"), but have never seen photos from endoscopy or colonoscopy, or autopsies or biopsy samples. I have seen photos of esophageal thrush.

Once, I'd made bone broth, drained it and left the bones in the covered pot on the side table and forgot it was there. When I opened it days later it was filled with long filaments of fungus. Aspergillus? I mention it because the filaments looked like cotton candy but were surprisingly tough.

Candida means fungi, and this means candida+mold+parasites.
The weight of the gut bacterias normally is up to 6 pounds, with 85% healthy flora, 15% pathogene flora. When we are ill, we reverse this, and we have 85% pathogene flora. As fungi is the biggest "zoo" in us, most of the 6 pounds is fungi. And this is only fungi in the gut, but with leaky gut we have fungi everywhere, in the organs, in the nervs and brains.

We know, how stubbom fungi is to treat, and with that big mass, we can imagine, that it takes long to reverse this process fully, not only diminish it a little bit.

jepps

I had been prescribed a restrictive Candida diet and got worse also. I have come to the conclusion that restoring balance is the way to go and not trying to kill our co-habitants. I am even using probiotic cleaners now whenever I can.

Natural antibiotics always helped temporarly, but not for long, then I always was a little more ill then before. Maybe the danger both with medication and also with natural antibiotics is resistance of microbes after treatment, and the next course is always a little harder then before.

Since supporting the gut by this way, I get more and more stable, very slowly (thought in months), but for me its enough, before it was conversely. Sunday I did very slight homework for 2 hours without break, this made me happy afterwards:)

@melanime in my stool are long strings, often until 10 cm, I have definitive the hyphen "mycel" form.

melamine

@Gestalt has a blog post here that outlines a multi-pronged approach for dealing with it that looks very good to me. Plus sanum, which @jepps recommends so highly.

@whodathunkit - Thanks for the link to Gestalt's blog post. I found the answer to one of the questions I posted earlier there as to why Ema would use Diflucan at the same time as Lufenuron:

In terms of effectiveness Lufenuron has according to many testimonials been very effective at helping getting rid of candida. Used alone however is likely not enough because candida can survive without the chitin layer. Fungi have the ability to morph into different forms and adapt to different environments. This product is therefore probably best used at the same time as some of the other products such as enzymes or even pharmaceutical anti-fungals to insure as close to 100% effectiveness

But further down I found this in Reply to a question:

Gestalt:
Sharon, I tried Lufenuron & Diflucan back to back and it did not help me at all. The Candex and Resistant Starch helped me the most and those are the two things I personally recommend.

Dufresne

almost there...
I'm an inveterate do-it-yourselfer but when it comes to homeopathy and Sanum remedies I suggest finding someone in the field who employs electrodermal screening. This is the only practice that's ever put effective remedies into my hand. I've had no luck, nor have other homeopaths, trying to determine appropriate remedies according to my symptoms.

However I suppose if someone is certain candida is what needs to be dealt with then maybe consulting a practitioner would be redundant.

Last edited:

Dufresne

almost there...
Dufresne, it's good to hear Sanum helped you.
Were you aware of this guidebook, which I think was posted by Asklipia earlier on the thread? http://www.collegenaturalmedicine.com/images/LBA/prescripbook.pdf

It seems pretty thorough although I am one who, if I had the money and access to a practitioner, would take your advice about finding a practitioner as you suggested, to guide me.

I think I came across this guidebook a few years ago as I was familiarizing myself with this school of thought. It does suggest 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' sufferers should be treated according to a formula. This is off-putting and I don't think it's the reality, just a loose guide I'm guessing. Moreover their list of causes is not exactly exhaustive.

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: see Allergic Diseases, Amalgam Stress, Candidiasis
Causes:
A result of a chronically ill intestine with and without involvement of heavy metals. Above all, a diet1,2,3 is to be adhered to and the removal of heavy metals (amalgam5). Vitamin and trace elements deficiency, stress, depression.

That said, I became convinced it was a valid therapy while trying it out back in 2011 when I was prescribed Sanuvis, Pleo Nig, and Pleo Ex. Although intolerant of the Sanuvis (due to a complication I've only recently solved), the other two remedies caused some healing crisis. However, for whatever reason, I moved on to studying up on and trying out a number of other things. Which was just as well, as it wasn't the most productive time for me to be using this stuff.

Now I'm coming back to it with a bunch of other goodies, as well as an increased respect for achieving the optimal terrain, and that's what this is all about, right? I don't think Biological Medicine will cure everybody with this disease if only they'd follow all the directions for a couple years. I doubt it. But I do think these are real tools and that a healthy terrain should be everyone's primary focus.

melamine

I don't think Biological Medicine will cure everybody with this disease if only they'd follow all the directions for a couple years. I doubt it. But I do think these are real tools and that a healthy terrain should be everyone's primary focus.

Definitely.
My problems probably stemmed from mercury and candidiasis originally, then infections, autoimmunity...so my plan, if I use Sanum, would be for addressing candidiasis as adjunct to some other things, as others have suggested.

Can you say anything more about the bad reactions you got and what you would do differently now?