• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reduced Parasympathetic Reactivation during Recovery from Exercise in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Oliver3

PTSD is the big reason I´m “pushing” to include the endocrinal system in ME/CFS research.
From 1994 to 2016 I led the organization “Adults abused in Childhood worldwide” and almost all displayed symptoms we call today ME/CFS. This was the reason I asked Bill Clinton for research money in 2000 and he made $10 million for Safe Start grants available: http://boxbook.com/letters/letter-from-bill-clinton/

Maybe you like to read: “The Biological Effects of Childhood Trauma” https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3968319/

The most severe symptoms were expressed by people with sexual abuse:
“Increased methylation of glucocorticoid receptor gene (NR3C1) in adults with a history of childhood maltreatment”: https://www.nature.com/articles/tp201160
Also:
“Childhood adversity increases risk for depression and chronic inflammation”: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/07/120703133721.htm

Oliver3

Thanks for that. I deffo had some early trauma. It must impact on the genetics but I think that's what comes first. My brother went through smthg similar and has PTSD symptoms but he seems to be able to recover continually.
But if I could stop those PTSD symptoms, surely my body would it improve?

SWAlexander

Oliver3 you asked.
"But if I could stop those PTSD symptoms, surely my body would it improve?"

As you may have read there are many issues involved.
On the Psychological side; are you able to talk or write about your past experience?
Not that it presents the perfect solution, but hiding negative experience drives the whole body. Your Amygdala (our black box) is always reflecting, comparing and warning. That drives up the hormone levels.
On the hormonal part, you may have a catecholamines test done to see what hormones are driving you most.
By reading a lot about abuse and it´s long-term-consequences, you become your own best therapist.

Oliver3

Oliver3 you asked.
"But if I could stop those PTSD symptoms, surely my body would it improve?"

As you may have read there are many issues involved.
On the Psychological side; are you able to talk or write about your past experience?
Not that it presents the perfect solution, but hiding negative experience drives the whole body. Your Amygdala (our black box) is always reflecting, comparing and warning. That drives up the hormone levels.
On the hormonal part, you may have a catecholamines test done to see what hormones are driving you most.
By reading a lot about abuse and it´s long-term-consequences, you become your own best therapist.
Thanks for the kind reply. I've done a hell of a lot of therapy. I kinda know the roots. Part of what drives the catecholamines is allergy, mcas, whatever because I've really addressed the early life stuff best I can.
That's why addressing the parasympathetic with as many tools as possible, like you say, will help.

lenora

Hi......I did not have an easy childhood, adolescence and it wasn't until I was in my 20's that I felt safe and secure.

I must say, however, that reading about the damage that could have been done isn't something that I can do. It leaves me feeling out of control and even more concerned for the damage done to my younger brothers & sisters (and yes, I tried and actually did help them, but their lives were ruined). For some of us, this type of research takes away our ability to handle what occurred.

I do wish my younger brothers and sisters could have been helped, but such things weren't available at that time. There were good reasons for what occurred, mental illness being one of the biggest and just a whole string of problems that led from one to the other to the next. In many respects being the oldest saved me during the worst of those times. There are times when that is hard to live with...that knowledge.

Thanks for bringing childhood abuse to the fore again. I myself worked as a volunteer with abused children for many years and, surprisingly, often there was no abuse present in the lives of the parents of these children. Most either didn't or wouldn't care for their children. Too self-centered to care. Interesting subject. Yours, Lenora.

Oliver3

Oliver3

Not sure this is the right place to post on this but had to do a neccesary meeting today.
My pots went into over drive.felt so poorly.
Ate a lot to compensate but also took 3 5 mg diaezepam.
My pots stopped, my ability to walk down the streets was stabilised.
I'm in a state of pem at the moment so had no choice but to take the diaezepam. It made me feel like 80 percent better.
I know Ron has found this..god I wish we could mainline that feeling everyday