• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Promising Mitochondrial Peptides: SS-31 / Elamipretide + MOTS-c and Humanin

Badpack

@Learner1 this is just for legal reasons. peptidesciences is around for some time and just producers for end consumers. So its pretty much the safest option till there is a possible FDA approved medication.

Learner1

Understood, but people should be aware that this is not a typical consumer product injecting something into one's body can have a stronger, faster impact than orally, good or bad.

mitoMAN

@debored13
Every study that stealthbio did with SS-31 was 40mg s.c. So i would suggest to start with that. Dont know why peptidesciences choose 50mg. But the extra 10mg wont hurt if you dont want to mess around.

Here is Ron talking about the NanoNeedle and the dosage of SS-31. He said he used the dosage from the congestive heart failure trail. Which again would be 40mg.
This would be kind of epic! Because thats actually affordable to some extend via group buy etc.

According to some other patients, Tailor Made Compoundings said that even 5mg daily showed promising results for mild mitochondrial dysfunction.
Thats what two patients with other illnesses told me when they discussed this with their Tailor Made Contact.

frozenborderline

Er... the link says it's only for researchers and injecting it is against the law.

Sounds like useful stuff though...
peptide sciences sells stuff for people to use with the disclaimer that its only for research use. what i mean is there didnt used to b e a site that sells it like that, you used to have to order custom synthesis of it, which is more complicated

those peptide sites are like (recreational) "research chemical" drug sites that always say theyre for research yet sell to consumers

Hoosierfans

Wait for our self-trial Learner before giving it a go.
But SS-31 is actually more studied in humans than the Mots-C you injected.
Just as an example.

mitoMan, are you and others doing a self trial? I am super curious (as is my FM doc) about SS-31. Do I understand correctly that the dose would be 40 mg per day? So basically a vial ($270) per day? How long would you need to take it for?
Thanks!!

Learner1

Wait for our self-trial Learner before giving it a go.
But SS-31 is actually more studied in humans than the Mots-C you injected.
Just as an example.
I'm not sure why I'd want to wait for your trial. We seem to have very different problems, do I wouldn't expect the same results. Nor do I find the promise of more studies useful. On whom? For what indication? And, I used the MOTS-C on the advice if two of my doctors, neither of whom have recommended SS-31. It increased my fatigue, so much for studies on others.

junkcrap50

A user on Reddit's /r/Peptides reported that the dose for SS31 can actually be much lower than the reported 40mg/day, but instead at 4mg/day. See below:
fastwater 3 points 22 days ago
I spoke with a biochemist at Tailor Made about SS-31 dose prior to them getting shut down and he said the therapeutic dose was 4mg/day (not 40mg). He stated that 40mg study was done at extremely high dosages but that high was not actually required to get very good results. I've been doing 4mg/day as directed for about 60 days with good results.
I don't know the reasoning or source of the 4mg/day dose. Just sharing it.

Badpack

@junkcrap50 whats the reasoning or source of the 4mg/day dose? Tell us! Jokes aside. Interesting to hear. But i think i would stick with the company that discovered it and used it at 40mg in about 10 studies now. Should it really work for Cfs, you could always reduce the dose over time.

Last edited:

mitoMAN

A user on Reddit's /r/Peptides reported that the dose for SS31 can actually be much lower than the reported 40mg/day, but instead at 4mg/day. See below:

I don't know the reasoning or source of the 4mg/day dose. Just sharing it.
i pmed that guy 10 times, he doesnt reply or anything.
I wouldnt trust on it.

We have two people in my Peptide Testing Group, one is taking 4mg without any effect and one is taking 20mg daily (but for another disease)

mitoMAN

No results from both. One guy stopped (even tho he said he had improvments on his condition but probably not enough to justify the money) and the other guy has no results at 4mg.
Second guy has a mito dysfunction but both dont have ME/CFS.
Another member of PR (with ME/CFS in severe state) is doing 50mg daily soon. Lets see if that will bring the hoped for changes.

leokitten

I really wonder whether something like elamipretide, which targets mitochondrial myopathies and diseases with mitochondrial dysfunction (eg heart failure), will do anything for ME. I guess if there aren’t any super high risk side effects then why not trial it.

All the ME metabolomics and mitochondrial research to date hasn’t found anything abnormal with the functioning of our mitochondria except for this paper I believe:

An Isolated Complex V Inefficiency and Dysregulated Mitochondrial Function in Immortalized Lymphocytes from ME/CFS Patients

Honestly the various ME metabolomics and mitochondrial research papers have some similar but also some conflicting conclusions.