• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Promising Mitochondrial Peptides: SS-31 / Elamipretide + MOTS-c and Humanin

mitoMAN

A very very promising peptide under the name SS-31 (licensed name will be elamipretide)
This peptide seems to have grabbed the attention of scientists researching a healing for mitochondrial myopathies.

Ron Davis mentioned this as one possibly working peptide to help CFS patients!
Davis_Copaxone_SS31.JPG

Randomized dose-escalation trial of elamipretide in adults with primary mitochondrial myopathy
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5890606/

The mitochondria-targeted peptide SS-31 binds lipid bilayers and modulates surface electrostatics as a key component of its mechanism of action
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7247319/

Right now the only source I can find is:
https://www.peptidesciences.com/ss-31

Another hope? Peptides MOTS-c and Humanin

A possible role for mitochondrial-derived peptides humanin and MOTS-c in patients with Q fever fatigue syndrome and chronic fatigue syndrome
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6518812/

Some people here tried MOTS-c already. @Learner1 had rather negative impact on her folate levels.

Anyone here tried SS-31 and Humanin?

As I am living in Europe.. I havent found a source that ships from within Europe yet.
Help me find one and I will gladly be the first to test : - )

As Ron Davis also mentioned daily usage of immunemodulator Copaxone.

the Peptide Thymosin Alpha-1 and TB-500 has shown effect for some of the users on here, while it had no effect to even anxiety or negative neuronal effect on some!

Last edited:

mitoMAN

Ron Davis mentioned these???
Sorry this was a misunderstanding.
I meant to say that other immunemodulators (peptides in this case) might be beneficial as was the used Copaxone.

Ron Davis only talked about Copaxone as possible immunemodulator

Last edited:

Badpack

@mitoMAN you can buy SS31 from https://www.peptidesciences.com/ since last week. They ship also to Europe. I wrote a lot of european Suppliers. None of them sends to privat persons. The price difference isnt that huge. 6250€ for 1 month from peptidsciences, the other quotes i got where around 5k with a worse quality and 40mg daily not 50mg like peptidscienes.

Sadly missing the funds right now or i would do it in a heartbeat.

mitoMAN

German customs won't let any US peptides through. Austria is much easier to get things imported. I might want to try a few days of SS31 when I move back to Austria.

is there already a "theory" about how long SS-31 needs to be taken to show success?
Could it show success after few days?
That would be partly affordable at least..

Badpack

You are sure about the german customs? Im from Germany to, so if you know something, please tell me haha

No one knows at this time. We can only speculate. But i wouldn't waste the time and money for less than a month at least. The SS31 studies went on for 12 weeks.

mitoMAN

I started Thymosin Alpha-1 today. 330mcg
After the shot I felt kind of dizzy and a bit sick for the next 8 hours. (Like mildly wanting to vomit)

10 days in with TB-500 500mcg daily and still using BPC-157 500mcg since May.
But no real success with BPC-157 alone. Maybe things will change with TA-1 and TB-500 in the mix now.

Just wondering, did anyone hear any feedback if there is a difference in taking twice weekly injections of TA-1 and TB-500 contrary to smaller dosages daily? These have long halflifes - so many peptide companies suggest taking it 2-3 times per week instead of daily.

Sometimes, "huge dosages 1-2 weekly" will have different impact than small dosages daily. Cant find much information on it tho.

Learner1

MOTS-C caused increasing fatigue within a week. Discussing it with a researcher and then my neurologist who originally prescribed it, it seems to be zapping folate, which then impacts methylation. Not a good idea. There are other things, like resveratrol that do similar things without the unwanted side effects.

Discontinuing it and taking some 5 - MTHF brought my energy back.

mitoMAN

Thanks learner1!
What dosages did you take for the Mots-c?

might it be possible to solve the problem by supplementing high folate while taking it?

Learner1

Sorry, I threw it out. It was a medium sized dose as I recall from reading other patients' experiences

I was taking 18mg 5-MTHF a day while on it. It's that the processing of the folate is impacted. My neurologist agreed once I shared the research with her.

Resveratrol at 1g is working a lot better.

mitoMAN

Interesting. I have been taking 1g of Trans-Resveratrol since February but didn't feel it gives any improvement

so maybe mots-c is the wrong way to go for me. It seems quite expensive too.

Swim15

Anyone have links for those SS-31 numbers? The study I saw used 5mg in an infusion twice

junkcrap50

I started Thymosin Alpha-1 today. 330mcg
After the shot I felt kind of dizzy and a bit sick for the next 8 hours. (Like mildly wanting to vomit)
Interesting. I could only speculate on why you had such a reaction. 330mcg is a fairly small dose, appropriate for every day use. I take 450mcg per dose (used to be every day, now 3x/week). Could it had boosted your immune system too much too fast? Maybe try lowering the dose and build up to it.

Just wondering, did anyone hear any feedback if there is a difference in taking twice weekly injections of TA-1 and TB-500 contrary to smaller dosages daily? These have long halflifes - so many peptide companies suggest taking it 2-3 times per week instead of daily.

Sometimes, "huge dosages 1-2 weekly" will have different impact than small dosages daily. Cant find much information on it tho.
I haven't heard of the differences between the two timings of injections. I had no idea what the half-life was. What is it exactly? Initially when I started, I noticed that my symptoms, which TA1 & TB4 eliminated, returned after missing a dose for more than 2 days. So I opted to take it daily.

1-2x/week is recommended for Hepatitis C and is how the trademarked prescription form of Thymosin Alpha-1, Zadaxin, is indicated.

mitoMAN

I'm taking it at night now before going to sleep. So the dizziness is gone the next day.
May I ask how fast you noticed a positive reaction to TB-500 and TA-1?

Badpack

@debored13
Every study that stealthbio did with SS-31 was 40mg s.c. So i would suggest to start with that. Dont know why peptidesciences choose 50mg. But the extra 10mg wont hurt if you dont want to mess around.

Here is Ron talking about the NanoNeedle and the dosage of SS-31. He said he used the dosage from the congestive heart failure trail. Which again would be 40mg.