• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OAT - Organic Acid Testing - is it useful?

pspa123

It makes sense to me to start with the basic lab test which I think is PLP according to Mayo, Labcorp, etc. Thanks all for your insight.

pspa123

So.... on the basic blood test, my result is 35.7 ug/L with the lab range (Labcorp) being 5.3-46.7. What do I know, but that sure doesn't sound to me like a profound deficiency from "pyroluria" requiring supplementation at 300 mg./day (3 times the official upper limit of safety), as I have been advised?

pamojja

What do I know, but that sure doesn't sound to me like a profound deficiency from "pyroluria" requiring supplementation at 300 mg./day

As already said, with regular B6 blood test you're only sure if it shows deficiency. With normal or above nothing for sure.

So, I know this is an old thread, but bringing it back up because I was re-reading my old 2018 OATS test results. I had elevated malic, fumaric, and citric acid results. Their interpretation says if all of these three are elevated, it could point to a Cytochrome C Oxidase deficiency, which affects the mitochondrial function. Does anyone here have any similar pattern or knowledge of this?

I also have elevated 3-hydroxy-glutaric and 3-methylglutaric levels. The first says it could be related to a genetic glutaric aciduria disease, and the second could be either genetic or mitochondrial. Any insight would be welcomed!